Eion Cameran - ABC 720 - Comments about Cleaning Up Cyclists

Aushiker

Eion Cameran - ABC 720 - Comments about Cleaning Up Cyclists

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 pm

A post has been made on the Bicycle Transport Alliance Facebook page suggesting that Eion Cameron made a comment this morning on the ABC 720 about fitting a roo bar to clean up cyclists.

Did anyone hear Eion Cameron on the topic of cyclists this morning or have any links to the show?

Thanks
Andrew

Lizzy

Re: Eion Cameran - ABC 720 - Comments about Cleaning Up Cycl

Postby Lizzy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:04 am

I heard it, albeit half asleep. The words I remember were either "deal with" or "take care of". Was during a segment on the decline in public transport patronage.

So yeah, depressing all round.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Grev

Postby Grev » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:47 pm

Yes, I heard it and was wide awake. I was discussed but wanted to wait until today to respond to see if I still felt as strongly - and I do.

While being par for the course on Redneck Radio I find it unacceptable for the ABC.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Bicycle Transport Alliance has formally complained to the Breakfast show producers, to ABC 720, to the ABC and also raised it with Media Watch.

Their response is also posted here.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:Bicycle Transport Alliance has formally complained to the Breakfast show producers,
I'm going to be "on the road" for most of the next month (at least) so this is coming from an "armchair producer" .

What we need to do is invite Mr Cameron along for a ride and a coffee. A nice, SLOW ride from A to B (from his office to home, perhaps) taking in some of the best and worst - bike paths; back roads; crap intersections; bad bits of road. Bad and good behaviour on both sides.

If it can be arranged in October, then I can be in. I can even supply a bike. Perhaps as part of Bike Week?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Bicycle Transport Alliance has formally complained to the Breakfast show producers,
I'm going to be "on the road" for most of the next month (at least) so this is coming from an "armchair producer" .

What we need to do is invite Mr Cameron along for a ride and a coffee. A nice, SLOW ride from A to B (from his office to home, perhaps) taking in some of the best and worst - bike paths; back roads; crap intersections; bad bits of road. Bad and good behaviour on both sides.

If it can be arranged in October, then I can be in. I can even supply a bike. Perhaps as part of Bike Week?
That is a good idea. Maybe run it past CycleSnail?

Andrew

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

This is a dissenting voice for this, although not condoning what Eion has said, he often says things and gets away with things which would make others cringe.

Frankly the old guy's syle is one of a grumpy old man who is really adhering to old fashioned values and ideas and who finds it hard to grip the 21st century.

As a consequence he says things that his demographic tend to find funny and can relate to in a funny and old fashioned kind of way.

However he is not a shock jock who tries to make cycling contraversial for ratings, or tries to say things that will shock just for the ratings.

I think this is just an off the cuff remark that he sometimes sprouts in order to espouse his contempt for the world, he does not mean it. and should probably not have said it.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am

At least 2 apologies this morning - one at 5am and one at 7am. Don't know about 6 because I was out enjoying a beautiful Perth morning :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

Thoglette wrote:

I have written to the producer of the show and suggested that last Saturday. Curious if there will be a response today :wink:
The producer can be reached at 720breakfast@your.abc.net.au and the ABC complaints location is here
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 am

Oxford wrote:
rambler1au wrote:This is a dissenting voice for this, although not condoning what Eion has said, he often says things and gets away with things which would make others cringe.

Frankly the old guy's syle is one of a grumpy old man who is really adhering to old fashioned values and ideas and who finds it hard to grip the 21st century.

As a consequence he says things that his demographic tend to find funny and can relate to in a funny and old fashioned kind of way.

However he is not a shock jock who tries to make cycling contraversial for ratings, or tries to say things that will shock just for the ratings.

I think this is just an off the cuff remark that he sometimes sprouts in order to espouse his contempt for the world, he does not mean it. and should probably not have said it.
It's all fun and games until someone gets killed on the roads.
A 18 year old boy riding a bicycle died on Friday; he had crashed with a truck the day before ... @rambler1au how do you think his family would have felt if they heard these comments?

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:33 am

Redbull wrote:At least 2 apologies this morning - one at 5am and one at 7am. Don't know about 6 because I was out enjoying a beautiful Perth morning :-)
That is good news.

Andrew

Grev

Postby Grev » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am

Thoglette wrote:What we need to do is invite Mr Cameron along for a ride and a coffee. A nice, SLOW ride from A to B (from his office to home, perhaps) taking in some of the best and worst - bike paths; back roads; crap intersections; bad bits of road. Bad and good behaviour on both sides.
Great idea. I think Mr Cameron lives in the South Perth area. Maybe through the corner of Way Rd and Canning Hwy were two cyclists were run down from behind a few weeks ago!!

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 pm

I got this from the ABC a few minute ago:
Eoin Cameron regretted saying it immediately, and said as much. His Friday Show ended shortly after. At the first opportunity, 5am today (Monday 1 Sept), he apologised, and again just after the 7 o’clock news:

“On Friday I made a comment about wanting a bull bar to clear cyclists out of my way.

I just want to say I regret what I said and I'm sorry I said it.

I understand it's upset a lot of people - cyclists especially. And I apologise for that. All road users have the right to travel without feeling threatened, none more so than cyclists.”

Please accept our, and Eoin’s, apologies. (720 ABC Perth)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:07 pm

WA Today has now picked up in the story and for interest sake the ABC received 75 formal complaints apparently.

Andrew

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Got an official email reply from ABC Corporate Affairs. The complaints were obviously taken seriously. Well done ABC.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:35 pm

People should not take Eoin Cameron too seriously. He pokes at all cows, sacred and otherwise. It's his nature and his radio format and is seldom delivered in too serious a way, nor taken too seriously. Occasionally he really does offend in which case he makes the right noises when called out. In this case it appears that he called himself out anyway. As often as not those offended are looking for offence to take issue with anyway. I hope we aren't.

I know I am little late joining this thread. However, as suggested by Thoglette, it does present an opportunity to get some air time for a little serious discussion. If he does not feel uo it (he has some back issues currently that may make it unwise to ride) then I am sure he could convince his roving reporter to do a ride.

As a radio jock required to fill his show with a variety of interesting daily themes I am sure that he would be quite happy to do so.

We should see it an an opportunity. Win-win.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:45 pm

yep, Colin, we are working towards this...

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:10 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:People should not take Eoin Cameron too seriously.
Can't agree Colin. I heard it live and it was in no way tongue in cheek. Unacceptable from the ABC.

Plus Colin he calls you "a nutter". That's not very nice is it !!!!

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

Why does this thread still have life?
The bloke has apologised, i think its time people moved on..

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

BaldPatch wrote:Why does this thread still have life?
Because Eoin is influential and his indiscrete comment has provided a window of opportunity to influence him in a positive way.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:20 pm

Grev wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:People should not take Eoin Cameron too seriously.
Can't agree Colin. I heard it live and it was in no way tongue in cheek. Unacceptable from the ABC.

Plus Colin he calls you "a nutter". That's not very nice is it !!!!
That's fine, you wouldn't disagree with him. :P And he says worse about himself.

Besides, his show has been very flattering of me in the past. :) http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/perth ... 516921.mp3
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle