Bus lane access for taxis, motorcycles

Aushiker

Bus lane access for taxis, motorcycles

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:55 am

Not sure if this has any real impact on active transport users or not but just a heads-up in case it does ...

Motorcycles will be permitted to travel in selected bus lanes for a 12-month trial period next year and the process to allow taxis to travel in most bus lanes is also being formalised.

Transport Minister Dean Nalder announced today that starting early next year, a 12-month trial would be conducted for all motorcyclists to use two peak-period bus lanes. Until now, motorcycles have not been allowed in bus lanes.

“Motorcycles will be able to travel in the Beaufort Street bus lanes between Roe Street in Northbridge and Grand Promenade in Inglewood, as well as along South Street between Vahland Avenue to the Kwinana Freeway,” Mr Nalder said.

“We are running this trial in response to requests from the motorcycling community, namely the Motorcycle Riders Association. The purpose of this trial is to assess any safety implications and whether sharing the lanes has any impact on the on-time running of buses.

“This is part of the State Government’s plan to use our existing infrastructure in a smarter way.”

The Minister said the trial had prompted the Public Transport Authority and Main Roads WA to review signage used for all bus lanes in Perth.

“This revealed inconsistencies with taxis access to use bus lanes - some lanes had been opened up to taxis but not others,” he said.

“So, from early next year all bus lanes, except those that terminate in dedicated bus facilities, will be open to properly licensed taxis.

“Main Roads WA will install the signage over the coming month with the aim of the trial and taxi usage changes starting in earnest in early 2015.”

Mr Nalder said motorcyclists would be restricted to the same signposted speed limits as buses.

Transperth will monitor bus on-time running using GPS data and collate feedback from bus drivers to determine whether the trial can be continued on a long-term basis.

WA State Government Media Release

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Bus lane access for taxis, motorcycles

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 pm

I wonder we can trial this by interspersing segments that motorsyclists would be allowed with segments that go with the status quo.

Yeah, sounds stupid doesn't it. But I can't forget how our esteemed Premier, when discussing trialling a 1 metre rule, talked quite po faced about trialling it in just an area of the metropolitan network. Yeah, that would be REAL clear and simple for all motorists to adhere to. NOT!

Just trying to maintain some consistency in stupidity. Frankly I think this thought bubble government have consistently demonstrated an inability to do anything sensible when it comes to transport. Adding insult Barnett labels the rest of as "the whinging state" when we call him out. And that's not just the cyclists who are cranky about it.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:53 pm

It's sensible to allow motorcycles to use the lane as they don't cause congestion.

Why are taxis treated differently to any other car on the road? They take up just as much space.

There is a potential impact to the safety of cyclists who use the lanes. There isn't any mention of cyclists in the statement.

The trial should also extend to allow bicyclists to use the bus only lanes from Roe St to Brisbane St. I'd expect there to be a negligible impact on bus times along here as there are already several traffic lights and bus stops (and mischievous drivers) that slow them down.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Red Rider wrote:Why are taxis treated differently to any other car on the road? They take up just as much space.
My guess: Some people will be saying they have to drive into the city rather than use public transport etc as they need to go out for meetings during the day. If they know they will get there faster / more reliably in a cab because they can use the bus lanes they might leave their car at home / at their suburban station.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Not sure how it works in wa but on the gold coast practically anyone uses the bus lane. The only time I saw anyone getting issued fines for using them was during the indy a few years ago ( they close off streets in the centre of surfers paradise and, pre light rail, consequently over congest and stuff up an already overly congested and stuffed up road network).
Go!Run!GAH!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:20 pm

worzel wrote:
Red Rider wrote:Why are taxis treated differently to any other car on the road? They take up just as much space.
My guess: Some people will be saying they have to drive into the city rather than use public transport etc as they need to go out for meetings during the day. If they know they will get there faster / more reliably in a cab because they can use the bus lanes they might leave their car at home / at their suburban station.
These are bus/bike lanes only at peak hours, so the numbers there would be miniscule.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Red Rider wrote: There is a potential impact to the safety of cyclists who use the lanes. There isn't any mention of cyclists in the statement.

I thought cyclists were in from the start. They are for the Beaufort St bus lane, signs have a bus and a bike on them. Having said that I would not use it as it isn't even close to being safe.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:46 am

Well you're spot on flash, you'd think they would mention something of both the two designated users, buses and bikes, that are being affected in this space.

Where it gets a little confusing is that it is bus only from Roe St to Brisbane St, then bus and bike all the way to Salisbury St in Inglewood. My guess is that they want cyclists to use the Stirling St bike lanes up to Brisbane St and then use Beaufort St, except a better connection between them is needed for it to be utilised more fully.

Almost as confusing as the bus/bike lane on Alexander Drive westbound crossing Walcott, but the opposite direction is bus only.

crazioldjane

Postby crazioldjane » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 am

interestingly i frequent great eastern hwy a lot and rarely see taxis's using the lanes with passengers on board..but i see many taxis's with passengers sitting waiting in traffic in the normal lanes while the bus lanes are empty..funny that... and bicycles and buses just do not mix...once a driver has passed their cab most bus drivers have little regard about the cyclist being clear before they move into the left..and more power to motorbikes cos i ride one :)
" faith is the substance of things hoped for..the evidence of things not seen"

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:43 pm

I regularly ride the bus/bike lanes on South St. My experience using these is that all the buses change lanes to overtake. Not so for the cars and motorcycles unlawfully using them. My main concern is that motorcyclists will generally expect to overtake cyclists within the lane without regard for speed or space. Don't have a problem with the taxis, they are public transport.
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:09 am

worzel wrote:
As a very regular taxi user I say: Taxis should stay in the car lanes with the rest of the single transportee traffic.

Having a "driver" doesn't make it any less car-centric. Indeed it is even more indulgent that driving one's own vehicle.

Next it will be small charter vehicles and chauffeured cars in general.

No, for the most part Taxis are single-passenger cars and should stay the h*** out of bus lanes.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Thoglette wrote:
worzel wrote:
As a very regular taxi user I say: Taxis should stay in the car lanes with the rest of the single transportee traffic.

Having a "driver" doesn't make it any less car-centric. Indeed it is even more indulgent that driving one's own vehicle.

Next it will be small charter vehicles and chauffeured cars in general.

No, for the most part Taxis are single-passenger cars and should stay the h*** out of bus lanes.
I thiink it is predicated on the theory that encouraging taxis encourages people to not purchase a car. Which then means they use options such as public tranpsort.

I don't know that the theory stands up in Perth though.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:31 pm

If you don't mind sharing a bus lane with buses, I can't see how motorcycles would be a problem. My main experience of bus lanes on a bicycle was when they introduced one at the causeway end of Albany Hwy in Vic Park and I got warned by police for using it. Is it still illegal in some bus lanes? That was a case where the bus lane would have been really good to use, as it was a short section down hill past a regular traffic jam to access the riverside cycle path.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Red Rider wrote:Well you're spot on flash, you'd think they would mention something of both the two designated users, buses and bikes, that are being affected in this space.

Where it gets a little confusing is that it is bus only from Roe St to Brisbane St, then bus and bike all the way to Salisbury St in Inglewood. My guess is that they want cyclists to use the Stirling St bike lanes up to Brisbane St and then use Beaufort St, except a better connection between them is needed for it to be utilised more fully.

Almost as confusing as the bus/bike lane on Alexander Drive westbound crossing Walcott, but the opposite direction is bus only.
Trust me, there was not that much thought put into it. A more accurate explanation would be that the first stage (Roe-Brisbane) was a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! or piece of retardation that was addressed on the later stages. How the decision to force bicycle riders to use the right lane in peak hour passed a road safety audit I'll never know.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Beaufort St Inglewood has new bus lane signs installed
buses, bicycles, taxis allowed, but the motorcycle image still has a sticker over it

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 pm

In Sydney Taxi's, Motorcycles and Bicycles are allowed to use bus lanes, but not bus only lanes.

In Sydney CBD where congestion is at its greatest, the Taxi's clog the bus lane and hold up the buses, really think that in Sydney CBD that Taxi's shouldn't be able to use the bus lanes, they have the same space inefficiencies as private vehicles, only difference been they don't take up a parking space. Motorcycles have zero or close to zero impact on the buses

Suppose it all depends on the capacity of the bus lane, but regardless I don't see an issue with motorbikes
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:53 am

Taxis can't pick up/drop off passengers from the middle of the road, hence they need access to the left lane. Unfortunately they are permitted to ignore parking restrictions when picking up or dropping off

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Apparently it's safe for a taxi to pick up from a no stopping zone but not for a private vehicle to do it. Must be due to their enhanced driving skills
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:04 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Apparently it's safe for a taxi to pick up from a no stopping zone but not for a private vehicle to do it. Must be due to their enhanced driving skills
Don't forget their great road awareness too when they let passengers open doors into bike lanes without warning or looking. :P

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:02 am

We'll take your word on that Summer :wink:

The good news is that with the new signage now installed, to my surprise people on bicycles are now allowed to also use the bus lane all the way from end to end :) I did not even notice this until I had a look at my video this arvo.

The bus kept beeping at the Lancer driver to get out of the bus/taxi/mb/bike lane. And further up the road at a set of lights I told the driver the obvious, he just nodded. There were a lot of private cars in this lane this arvo.

Thanks to the decision makers for adding the push bike symbol, people on bicycles were literally in a very difficult position along this stretch previously.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:28 am

Great news, the change must be very recent.

It was a ludicrous situation that had cyclists being legally required to ride in the right lane :roll:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 05, 2016 8:21 pm

and we're back to full retardation at Main Roads - went for a ride down Mounts Bay Road to find I am not permitted to ride my bicycle in the new bus lane that runs from Hackett Drive to Broadway. Legally I am required to ride in Lane 2 (or 3) of a 3 lane carriageway :roll: :roll: So the lesson obviously wasn't learnt from the Beaufort and Hampton examples. Looks like it's time to draft a letter to the Minister.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 05, 2016 8:43 pm

At least when it is a 3 lane carriageway you can legally take primary position.

On a 2 lane carriageway, with a bus lane in the left lane, the general purpose lane counts as a single lane carriageway and you are legally required to keep as far left as practicable which leaves you in the worst position possible, hugging the centreline with busses undertaking you and cars/trucks trying to squeeze in over the top.