Anyone commute to or through Midvale?

HappyHumber

Anyone commute to or through Midvale?

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:41 pm

I've got the possibility of some work coming up in Midvale, along Stanhope Gardens.

Coming from the Cannington area I'm familiar with a few approaches to Greenmount via the foothills and to Midland via the Railway line.. but studying the map I'm a little concerned about traversing Midland proper and the cluster-fluff of the Great Eastern & Woe-Highway Interchange getting into the Light Industrial/Commercial pocket I need to.

Toying with approach via Clayton St /Rason Parade and using the pededtrian rail crossing to pick up Bellevue Rd and cross the H'way there.

Anyone else had or have this as a destination or needed to cut through there?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Sprocket

Re: Anyone commute to or through Midvale?

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Hi HH

Late response - so perhaps you've figured it out already?

Anyway - depending on the time of day, I would avoid riding straight through Midland. I sometimes ride along Great Eastern Highway, but before 6am on a Saturday and that's just fine. Other times it would be a total nightmare.

Your suggestion of Clayton and Rason would certainly be safer. I have used that railway crossing on my bike. It is not an easy one to negotiate. The path goes upwards from Rason to the crossing, which has quite tight flow controls on it. So can be a bit awkward to get through. I haven't tried it coming back the other way.

There are good (but very short) bicycle lanes along GE highway under the Roe bridge, on both sides. I haven't tested this option out on the bike, but I would give:
• along Clayton,
• left on to Robinson,
• up the bike path on the right to GE Highway,
• cross the highway at the lights which will be on your left when you come off the bike path, so you'll need to dogleg
• on to the cycle path on the north side of the Highway, and
• off to work from there
a try.

Selena

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm

thanks Selena I'll plot that out in my head... or at least RideWithGPS ;) The job hasn't kicked off in gusto just yet being a bit of a casual arrangement to start with, but hoping it'll become more consistent and regular as things pan out.

Whilst I'm not alien to the area, I've not had to traverse it at the same time as all the other circadian rats in their smoke boxes. I'm less familiar with GE west of Roe than I am with some of the backstreets.

Bring on the Roe Hway PSP between Chisolm & Welshpool so I can get to Tonkin a damn sight easier as well!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm

I would do basically what Selena said via Clayton St, left into Robinson then right onto the bike path after crossing the rail line. This bike path actually crosses over GEH on the Roe overpass and if you follow it around the anti-clockwise loop it will actually bring you out at the corner of GEH and Stanhope Gardens.

Clayton was only resurfaced a month or two ago, so is quite good riding now as long as there isn't anyone parked on that shoulder.