Will the State Government's Parking Levy Rise help Cyclist?

Thoglette

Re: Will the State Government's Parking Levy Rise help Cycli

Postby Thoglette » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 am

pickle wrote:Seems as though a lot of the funds are going towards CAT buses. Is it practical to cram more buses on the roads in the CBD? I mean, I hardly ever ride through the CBD for obvious reasons.. is traffic pretty bad? Should they be pushing walking/cycling more rather than CAT buses?
The CATs are massively popular and an example of public transport done well.

They allow people to get anywhere in the extended city - they significantly increase pedestrian traffic which would otherwise be in taxis or private cars. (eg. getting to a CBD meeting from West Perth or getting to a shop at the other end of town)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

pickle

Postby pickle » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Ah. Good stuff then :)
Data not found... brain not found more like it

toofat

Postby toofat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes but at just under a million dollars per bus you could provide a lot of free bikes :)

fixed

Postby fixed » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 pm

...and what happens to the other $24 million each year?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:33 am

The West this morning reports $40M is being held in the Perth Parking Trust Fund. Quote from City of Perth:
The City of Perth said about three months ago it had forwarded a list of projects suitable to be funded from the parking levy to the Transport Minister but was awaiting a response.

Would also love to see this list of projects and how many relate to cycling infrastructure.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am

As part of last weeks State Government Budget announcement, the Perth Parking Levy is indicated to increase by 5-15% (source The West).

Can anyone indicate cycling infrastructure that has been funded from this levy?

Please note, this topic was started in 2009, so plenty of time to complete a couple of projects in the Perth CBD.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

rolandp wrote:As part of last weeks State Government Budget announcement, the Perth Parking Levy is indicated to increase by 5-15% (source The West).

Can anyone indicate cycling infrastructure that has been funded from this levy?

Please note, this topic was started in 2009, so plenty of time to complete a couple of projects in the Perth CBD.
I second Heirich's thoughts. Does anyone know ANY project in the CBD to improve cycling infrastructure in the last few years? Any! It certainly doesn't seem that the COP is volunteering to identify any.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:29 pm

The West again indicates increases in parking fees due to increase in Parking Levy Rise.
City parking fees set to soar

The question is posed again, what cycling infrastructure project has been implemented from these fees?

I'm aware of possible one, the PSP that runs to the west of the Perth Arena, which doesn't get used much unless they close the shared path behind The Arena.

There should be 1or 2 given this topic goes back to 2009.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 am

When I moved to Perth a decade ago I used to drive to the city from Joondalup. But as the commute time rose from 30 minutes towards 50 minutes I started taking the train. But the trains started getting fuller (sometimes I cannot get a seat at Currambine), they break down a lot and the escalators in the city are always out of action. Striking employees, “incidents” and poorly planned maintenance also create a service I cannot rely on to get to work / home on time. 6 months ago the final straw was the introduction of the new train carriages (required 5 years ago) but the seats are down the side rather than being forward / rear facing which, as they are only big enough for children and size zero supermodels, result in a very cramped uncomfortable journey. In short, travelling on the Joondalup line is an ordeal.

So now I cycle in whenever I can but that has not been without problems. The PSP starts / ends at Moore Drive abruptly with no easy way up / down the curb (someone was killed there recently). Weaving in and out of suburbia around Woodvale / Duncraig is fraught with danger (assuming you can find the PSP which is not marked at several key places). The path surface has several rough sections that can throw you off your bike if you don’t hold on tight. Distracted motorists / pedestrians and impatient drivers / other cyclists present a daily challenge to life and limb. Now its winter I notice the absence of lighting in many sections of the PSP. The really dangerous bits are crossing the dual carriageways at Karrinyup Rd, Cedric St and Hutton St. In the six months I have been cycling I don’t recall a single week where my path from the Mitchell Freeway PSP to Central Park has not been encumbered some way by road works.

I would like to think some of this revenue-raising (aka congestion management) will go towards the above issues, but I suspect it has more deserving causes like killing sharks or refurbishing politicians’ offices.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 am

Found the cycling projects proposed by the Perth Central Business District Transport Plan 2012 which are:
• Construction of the Market Street to Wellington Street connection for the Fremantle PSP (between Perth Arena and the Mitchell Freeway).
• Extension of Roe Street PSP from Milligan Street to Thomas Street.
• Inclusion of on-road cycle lanes on Barrack Street between Riverside Drive and The Esplanade as part of the Elizabeth Quay road works.
• Finalisation by the City of the City of Perth Cycle Plan 2029 which includes a proposed strategic cycle network based on the City as a destination.
• Maintaining or enhancing existing PSP and RSP facilities within central Perth affected by new developments.
• A feasibility study on options to increase end of trip facilities for cyclists, such as the provision of a large, high-quality facility, multiple smaller public facilities and/or a grant scheme to retrofit older buildings which do not have end of trip facilities.

The above link also indicates:
Planned for 2014
•Further bus priority improvements on William Street
•Additional Principal Shared Paths
•Additional cycle lanes
•Clearway towing

So by Dec-2014 (9 months), we should have:
• Extension of Roe Street PSP from Milligan Street to Thomas Street.
• Inclusion of on-road cycle lanes on Barrack Street between Riverside Drive and The Esplanade as part of the Elizabeth Quay road works.
• And hopefully some from CoP Cycle Plan

I also find this one interesting:
•Clearway towing
Having recently contacted City of Perth indicating that some motorists are ignoring the clearway signs and stopping/parking in them and in several cases had to avoid opening doors, hopefully towing away these vehicles will also assist in access to the Perth CBD for cyclists.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 08, 2014 11:13 pm

From The West in relation to Today's State Budget
The Perth Parking levy will be increased by $365 (or about $1 a day) over the next two years.

This is expected to raise $73 million.

The money raised will contribute to the funding of the Perth Busport, a key component of the Perth City Link Project.

The new busport is budgeted to cost State Government $237m.

Will there be any Perth Parking Levy funds left so support cycling projects?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Cyclist down on Market St, 6 police cars and one ambulance in attendance. Don't know what happened but motorists was being questioned.

This is the section which was recently rebuilt following the installation of Perth Arena and additional rails to the new rail tunnel but they forgot to improve the Market St crossing for us.

How many more cyclists have to die or be injured? There are funds available to be spent.

rolandp

Re: Will the State Government's Parking Levy Rise help Cyclist?

Postby rolandp » Tue May 29, 2018 9:05 am

8 years later when I originally asked this question and "Almost $100 million of cash skimmed off charges for parking in Perth’s CBD is set to be amassed and left unspent in State Government coffers over the next year." - source The West.

So, why haven't the long list of cycling projects in the Perth CBD been built.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Duplicate post

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 29, 2018 6:58 pm

rolandp wrote:There are funds available to be spent.
Shed yeah, the DoT's wild child "mainroads" worked it's way through $1,820 million last year. And even they claim that $951 million of that was "capital expenditure". Not maintenance - new or "improved" roads. Profligate is the word you are looking for.

There's no shortage of funds.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

commute

Postby commute » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 pm

I wonder if CPP will lower rates at point fraser? That car park used to be full every day. Then they made the price go from $9 per day to $27 and it is now empty.

redned

Postby redned » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 pm

commute wrote:I wonder if CPP will lower rates at point fraser? That car park used to be full every day. Then they made the price go from $9 per day to $27 and it is now empty.
It used to be free! We often used to park there for a jolly up to Guildford: up one side of the river and down the other. Not any more.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun May 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Additional article today - CBD parking: No government plans for nearly $100m generated in car park fees
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/cbd-park ... 881196241z

$100m would go a long way to provide better access into and around Perth CBD.