Perth head East PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

rolandp

Perth head East PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby rolandp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:12 pm

This is for the Easterns to contribute to critique the Principle Shared Path (PSP) which goes East from Perth.

Click on Perth heading East PSP - Cyclists critique of the infrastructure Google Mapand let me know what you think.

If you would like to provide additional items, let me know location including co-ordinates, description and if possible, link to a photograph.

West, North, South sections are also done, click on the Appropriate link.

tredly

Re: Perth head East PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby tredly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi,

Bridge St (Guildford Rd over the river) is a major bottleneck / dangerous spot between Midland - Perth. Either side has a walkway made of wooden planks, not very nice for a roadie. It will loosen all your bolts, and rattle your bones, then maybe throw in a puncture. This bridge was made over about 9 years ago, but they neglected to widen it (probably very hard and expensive) or include concrete paths either side. On the road it is like running the gauntlet when busy. Okay on weekends or extremely early on weekdays, but that gets harder as the days get shorter. It only needs one impatient driver as passing is impossible with traffic coming the other way. This spot is the most unpleasant part of my ride between the Swan Valley and Perth.

The PSP from East Perth to Bayswater is excellent, with only one break at the crossing in Maylands. Travelling down Railway Pde crossing Collier Rd at the railway crossing at Bassendean is tricky when busy. Even difficult in a car.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 am

tredly

Postby tredly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 pm

I saw the photo of the sprinklers in Belmont. They are also on in the morning, although I don't know whether they are staged, some in the morning and some in the arvo. Anyhow you get wet, then cross a sandy boat ramp. It is like getting tarred and feathered. I don't go that way anymore for that reason. My route now sticks north side of the river with a dog leg down around Maylands Peninsula.

tredly

Postby tredly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 pm

West Swan Road cycle path from Guildford to Henley St is covered in broken glass and other debri. It has not been cleaned once in my four months of riding. Broken glass appears after events in the Swan Valley. Of particular note, a recent event at Sandalford produced a fair bit of fresh broken glass in the immediate area.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 am

Tredly, have updated the map with this item. Could you please check as was not 100% sure where this was, and if you can also supply an image of these items, also helps.

tredly

Postby tredly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am

The West Swan Rd cycle path is being swept as I write this. :D

I will post again once it is complete, it is still to early to remove the item off the map.

simonk

Re: Perth head East PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastruct

Postby simonk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Three locations that my partner and i find very dangerous:
1. Lord street crossing (intersection railway road) no pedestrian island and path that exits pretty much onto a t-junction and large volumes of traffic make this an accident waiting to happen. how could you get across this without using the footpath(s)
2. end of PSP in ashfield - debacle from all users perspectives.
3. agree guildford road bridge...
I challenge any critics who may think I'm whinging to jump on a bike and try and negotiate these particularly troublesome spots on my daily commute.

cheers. sk

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:13 am

Simonk, have added points 1 and 2. Can you please check to make sure I've got the correct area. If not, please provide co-ordinates as this significantly improves the time to add these items.

simonk

Postby simonk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi, Yes the 'Ashfield - Cyclists are on the road' is the right spot(point 2), the other (point 1) is Latitude 31°54'0.92"S _ Long. 115°57'14.70"E - Bassendean: Railway parade and Lord st
sk

dan_the_man

Postby dan_the_man » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:55 pm

tredly wrote:Hi,

Bridge St (Guildford Rd over the river) is a major bottleneck / dangerous spot between Midland - Perth. Either side has a walkway made of wooden planks, not very nice for a roadie. It will loosen all your bolts, and rattle your bones, then maybe throw in a puncture. This bridge was made over about 9 years ago, but they neglected to widen it (probably very hard and expensive) or include concrete paths either side. On the road it is like running the gauntlet when busy. Okay on weekends or extremely early on weekdays, but that gets harder as the days get shorter. It only needs one impatient driver as passing is impossible with traffic coming the other way. This spot is the most unpleasant part of my ride between the Swan Valley and Perth.

The PSP from East Perth to Bayswater is excellent, with only one break at the crossing in Maylands. Travelling down Railway Pde crossing Collier Rd at the railway crossing at Bassendean is tricky when busy. Even difficult in a car.
agreed with this. The wood bridge is awful on a road bike.

I feel bad for holding up traffic using the normal road on the bridge and a lot of the times someone decides to overtake on double white lines to get around me.

Also, why is the bike path at bassendean station so short? couldn't they have a continuous path from east Perth to midland?

martc101

Postby martc101 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Not sure if this is what they meant by 'shared zone' PSP (AT) Mciver station.

Viewgrl

Postby Viewgrl » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:39 pm

I would like someone to review the design of the new carpark at Bayswater station. Its a carpark with a one way flow of traffic for cars, as reinforced by the arrows on the bitumen, but no option for cyclists other than to go against the grain. The P2P ends at this carpark and picks up again at the overpass. I have been abused by one motorist as from their point of view is a one way flow of traffic. There has been no consideration for cyclists in the carparks design.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Viewgrl wrote:I would like someone to review the design of the new carpark at Bayswater station. Its a carpark with a one way flow of traffic for cars, as reinforced by the arrows on the bitumen, but no option for cyclists other than to go against the grain. The P2P ends at this carpark and picks up again at the overpass. I have been abused by one motorist as from their point of view is a one way flow of traffic. There has been no consideration for cyclists in the carparks design.
Latest News and contact details here.

The design on the above link does show bi-directional flow for cyclists.

It was pointed out many years ago when that section of shared path was built that access was poor. We do live in the wait awhile state, so looks like it is being addressed now.