Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth scheduled to get 'Lights Up'

rolandp

Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth scheduled to get 'Lights Up'

Postby rolandp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Most would have seen the news papers articles relating to Council House being illuminated by almost $1.1m worth of LED's.

If you have a close look at City of Perth's Council House Lights Up article, you will see right down the bottom, the remaining five proposed sites are:
- Perth Town Hall
- Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth
- Edith Cowan Memorial (near entrance to Kings Park)
- Victoria Avenue trees
- Mounts Bay Road trees

Now, given that one of the quotes for these projects is:
This project will do much for our city by way of enhancing its attractiveness, safety and bringing a sense of colour to our streets.
maybe they will allow cyclists to again ride over Trafalgar Bridge as it will be safer as a result of this project.

Grev

Re: Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth scheduled to get 'Lights Up

Postby Grev » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:24 am

I noticed the sign on the Trafalgar Bridge in East Perth has been upgraded from “Cyclist Dismount” to the no-cycling logo. Another sign threatens a $100 + fine.

I take it the ban on cycling over this bridge has gone from a threat to an official by-law!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 am

Update to this - City trees to change colour - every evening - City of Perth:
The attractive and distinctive trees that line parts of Victoria Avenue and Mounts Bay Road will have added lustre as a result of the City of Perth's illumination project.
The Council has accepted a tender from High Speed Electrics to install feature lighting at the base of 15 London Plane trees in the median strip of Victoria Avenue between St Georges Terrace and Terrace Road and 16 trees on the southern side of Mounts Bay Road between Mill Street and William Street.
Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi says the lighting will highlight the beauty of the 80-year-old trees and provide bright and welcoming approaches to the central city.
“This is the latest of the lighting projects and is another step towards delivering on one of the action projects in the City of Perth’s 2029 ‘We Hear You’ document,” Ms Scaffidi said.
“The broad public consultation that led to that document identified feature lighting of city landmarks as a priority action.
“The spectacular lighting display switched on at Council House in April has been extremely well received and the Edith Cowan Memorial Clocktower at the entrance to Kings Park is now also bathed in bright new lights.
“In the not too distant future the Trafalgar Bridge across Claisebrook Cove in East Perth and the Perth Town Hall will also be illuminated.”
A total of 62 LED up-lights with different colour sequences will be installed in the tree illumination project and work is expected to be completed by December 2010. The cost of the project is $204,000.

I wonder if they could stretch this a little further and install lights on the shared paths?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:36 am

From The West:
Footbridge next to shine under lighting project
Trafalgar Bridge in East Perth is the next city site to be illuminated after the City of Perth earmarked $163,000 to brighten up the landmark.
The footbridge, which runs over Claisebrook Cove, will be the fourth of six sites chosen in a 2009 plan to make the city brighter and more attractive after-hours.
Fifteen trees along Victoria Avenue were recently lit up, following lighting installations at Edith Cowan Memorial near Kings Park and Council House in St Georges Terrace.
The council said there were 30 light fixtures of red, green and blue on either side of the trees on Victoria Avenue. A report presented to the council last week shows the tender chosen for Trafalgar Bridge was based on a more moderate design than one initially proposed.
It will incorporate LED dot lighting on either side of the footbridge, on the cable stays and in ground lights highlighting the towers. All are programmed for a variety of colour change sequences similar to the lighting on the facade of Council House.
The lights are expected to be installed by April.

I'm getting excited that we will soon be able to dismount, and see all these pretty colours.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I guess there will be green ones and red ones .... go and stop?

I am sure deep down they DO want us to cycle accross Trafalgar Bridge safely.....thanks for the lights.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:28 pm

From City of Perth Council meeting 5 July 2011:
Lighting of Trafalgar Bridge
The Lord Mayor requested correspondence be sent to nearby residents regarding the works that have been undertaken to light the Trafalgar Bridge. The CEO advised that a letter drop is to be carried out prior to the official turning on of the lights.

Anyone know when the Trafalgar Bridge 'official turning on of the lights' is occuring, and would anyone like to join me at being there for the event?

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:39 pm

This bridge was lit up last night! Can see it from the freeway bridge as you cross the river on the train
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 am

Damm, missed it. Is it pretttty?

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 am

rolandp wrote:Damm, missed it. Is it pretttty?
Rode under it tonight, looked like a bridge with christmas lights. Seems a waste of ratepayers money, wonder what the carbon footprint is.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:12 pm

rolandp wrote:Damm, missed it. Is it pretttty?
Yeh cant say that it got me excited! :|
would be more excited if we could legally ride over it :roll:
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:40 am

Grev wrote:I noticed the sign on the Trafalgar Bridge in East Perth has been upgraded from “Cyclist Dismount” to the no-cycling logo. Another sign threatens a $100 + fine.
I haven't been across the bridge for a few months, but I rode across on the weekend... the bridge was being repainted and all the no cycling signs were gone.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:09 pm

I also rode across recently and didn't notice any "no cycling' signs either, I was wondering if I just missed them or if they were gone.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:22 am

There are definitely 'Pedestrian Bridge Cyclists Dismount' signs again on this bridge - fine has also gone up to $125 (previous indications in this topic was it was $100):

According to City of Perth's Bike Implementation Plan the bridge won't be converted back to a shared path until 2015-16.

However, this month's Works and Urban Development minutes, show some interesting developments. Look for:
WK20/14 PROPOSAL FOR THE CREATION OF PEDESTRIAN PRIORITY ZONE AT THE TRAFALGAR BRIDGE, EAST PERTH
The Officers Recommendation is modified to reflect:
Moved by the Lord Mayor, seconded by Cr McEvoy
That Works and Urban Development Committee notes the City’s intention to investigate suitable design solutions, including the status quo, that will facilitate the implementation of a Pedestrian Priority Zone at the Trafalgar Bridge, East Perth, within the current financial year to accommodate slow speed, controlled bicycle movements, in-line with the City of Perth Cycle Plan 2029.

The above has been bolded to show one of the changes ADDED (ie including the status quo).

The status quo is we aren't allowed to ride over the bridge, even though this bridge was originally built as a shared bridge and it was the CoP who installed the no cycling signs back in 2006 (see CoP minutes back in 2006).

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Did the trial ever go ahead? Not that I recall, although I wasn't a regular user of it back then.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Good reading Roland. But I think they are still on track for 2015-16 implementation, they are just doing the groundwork such as investigation and local comment.
This area can however accommodate slow speed cycling as is evident from on-going
monitoring, where it appears that particularly in peak times the cycling ban over the
bridge is largely ignored. To the north and south of the Trafalgar Bridge there are a
number of bicycle friendly streets and shared paths that connect to the bridge
approaches, which make it an attractive route for commuter cyclists during the week
and recreational cyclists outside of peak times...

...It is now considered appropriate to undertake an investigation into suitable surface
treatments that may reduce the noise of bicycle tyres travelling over the bridge
surface, as well as consulting key stakeholders such as local resident groups prior to
implementing change and removing the existing cycling ban to create a Pedestrian
Priority Zone.
Ref: Works & Urban Development minutes.

I wonder what 'surface treatments' are? I would think something like rubber grommets would need to be inserted between the timber planks and steel structure for it to be effective.

Also in those minutes it notes the proposal for slow speed cycling through Hay & Murray malls, I thought we could do this already, whoops! Well the police certainly don't mind, I pass them nearly every time I meander through there.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:44 pm

I enjoyed skimming through the 2006 minutes. Item X was in relation to TravelSmart reducing congestion, alternative modes of travel etc. This gets through, good news.

The next item on the agenda is banning cyclists on the bridge.

Isn't commuting cycling a major component of TravelSmart?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:31 am

Getting excited, sometime this current financial year, we will be able to ride across this bridge again.

At least according to the City of Perth's Cycling Implementation Plan.

Closed in 2006 to cyclists, and to be reopened in 2016 to cyclists. Should we invite the Mayor for a decade event in Feb-2016 to mark the 10year closure, and to get an exact date when it will be re-opened?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Are you looking at the old Implementation Plan, or the new one adopted by the Council in February this year? This shows 2016/17, so there is until July 2017 to deal with it (or not).

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm

Cynical me doesn't think it's likely while the current mayor is there.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Slightly OT, and perhaps a few months old, but I noticed the East Perth train station overpass now has 'Cyclists Dismount' signs on each end.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:38 pm

nachoman wrote:Slightly OT, and perhaps a few months old, but I noticed the East Perth train station overpass now has 'Cyclists Dismount' signs on each end.
What happened to common freaking sense?

Ride slowly, give way to pedestrians. Simple. I guess there will always be a small few who ruin it for all of us.