City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Thoglette

Re: City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:00 pm

wellington_street wrote:So it does seem like a police intervention is required.
Nah, just some slightly cleverer rangers.

And anyway, the police seem unable and/or unwilling to enforce the existing bus lanes, which are their problem.

To fix the problem, install a big sign saying "this area under council CCTV surveillance". And turn the problem into an income stream.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 am

The rangers could infringe if they could get a photo of the taxi before it drives off. This is not always possible. As far as CCTV is concerned, apparently the Magistrates Courts do not recognise this for prosecutions. There needs to be some legislation change to allow local authorities to infringe based upon CCTV (as happens in places like London).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Sinner wrote: apparently the Magistrates Courts do not recognise this for prosecutions.
That's a new one to me. But I've no examples to the contrary either. Is this based on case law (i.e. precedent) or actual legislation?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

scotchegg

Postby scotchegg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Wouldn't increasing the armadillos further along Barrack street be enough? It would make it more obvious of the distinction between whats the cycle patch and whats the road.

adamadam

Postby adamadam » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Surely a couple of witches hats would do the trick of keeping the lane clear?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Love it!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:46 pm

BWA today posted via Facebook, that the City of Perth has installed a counter on Barrack St, showing the number of daily cyclists, as well as an incremental counter. Anyone seen it?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Seen it. Looks great, but is not yet working.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:17 pm

scotchegg wrote:Wouldn't increasing the armadillos further along Barrack street be enough? It would make it more obvious of the distinction between whats the cycle patch and whats the road.
A solid concrete kerb like those used on Bulwer Street might do the trick. Something high enough to bust the sump of a taxi if they try and straddle it

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:49 am

I was at Petition last night, having a couple of quiet beers while watching the counter out the window. During my time I saw three bicycles set off the counter, one scooter, one phantom increment and around nine cars. By 9pm the daily count was 540, I wonder if there is further calibration to do? It goes without saying that during the entire time there were numerous taxis parked in the southbound bicycle lane.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm

nachoman wrote:I was at Petition last night, having a couple of quiet beers while watching the counter out the window. During my time I saw three bicycles set off the counter, one scooter, one phantom increment and around nine cars. By 9pm the daily count was 540, I wonder if there is further calibration to do? It goes without saying that during the entire time there were numerous taxis parked in the southbound bicycle lane.

Shhhh, let everyone think they're bikes!

Probably not the most engineered thing - I assume it's just a simple loop in the road.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 pm

It looks like it does need calibrating, as it seems to be counting every wheel and not every bike is a unicycle! There's a northbound loop by the counter and then the loop cables go diagonally across the road for the southbound. Saw two southbound cyclists the other day; one in the lane and one out. They didn't get counted - probably too much carbon in their bikes! Details of counter are at http://vekso.com/en/products/product/?id=17000

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Walking back from Elizabeth Quay friday evening at 9pm I came across one of those black backpack food delivery bicycle riders being loaded into the back of an ambulance. This was southbound on Barrack St just before St Georges Terrace. He looked reasonably ok and I offered to take care of his bike but the ambos had it in hand. Right behind the accident scene I counted ten taxis parked in the bicycle lane, almost as far down as Hay St.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:05 pm

nachoman wrote:Walking back from Elizabeth Quay friday evening at 9pm I came across one of those black backpack food delivery bicycle riders being loaded into the back of an ambulance. This was southbound on Barrack St just before St Georges Terrace. He looked reasonably ok and I offered to take care of his bike but the ambos had it in hand. Right behind the accident scene I counted ten taxis parked in the bicycle lane, almost as far down as Hay St.
Hopefully he's OK. I went past there a bit earlier, maybe 8-8:30pm and saw the ranger booking some of the taxi drivers parked in the bike lane.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 am

It was good to see the bicycle counter in the news over the past week to increase the awareness of cycling in the city. However last night it was out of action with a blank screen. I was watching it again last Friday afternoon... the numbers seemed high and it was still counting cars as well bikes.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Rumour is that the event in Elizabeth Quay has affected the supply. The City of Perth is trying to sort it out.

David75

Postby David75 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:57 am

nachoman wrote:or a salmon cyclist, the passing police car showed no interest:
Some idiot on a bike did this today - wrong side of the road - decided to bang on the side of a 4WD as he went past it at the lights.

I'm beginning to think you should require a license to ride a bike...

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:47 am

Armadillos didn't stop this professional driver last night (car infront of him was waiting to turn right).

Slight brown bibshort moment. It looked a fair bit closer on approach (he started moving over as I was inline with his rear wheel).

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 am

Bicycle counter still out of order last week. I wonder if it has a memory to what the count was or if it will be reset.

Regarding the taxis, on Friday evening I did witness one police van slow down while travelling south on Barrack St and ask the lead taxi in the bicycle lane to move on. Within 60 seconds though another five taxis had parked up.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 am

City of Perth cracking down on tradies parked in loading bays (link). But not taxis parked in bicycle lanes.

PS I still watch the bicycle counter from the Petition Beer corner window a few times recently and it is still counting more cars than bikes.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 pm

nachoman wrote:PS I still watch the bicycle counter from the Petition Beer corner window a few times recently and it is still counting more cars than bikes.

On the evening of 30/12/17 the counter was at approx 215,000 bicycles for the year. Great effort, almost six hundred bikes a day. But then I watched from the window of Petition Beer Corner again and for every bike counted there were about three cars/scooters/buses counted. So maybe around 55,000 bikes (150/day) is more accurate ?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Is it just a sensor loop in the bike lane?

Should rename the counter to "How many cars have drifted into the cycle lane"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Channeling William of Ockham I imagine that the separate counts are made simply by sensing separately the bike lane and the road lane and that people are seeing stupidity or issue where there is none.

Or am I missing something here? :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle