City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

rolandp

City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Postby rolandp » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:28 am

So, back in 17 Feb 2009, City of Perth approves the concept plan for The Esplanade, including modifications to Barrack St - see here. This included 2.4m dedicated cycling lanes on Barrack St, below taken from the above CoP Page:
I've lost track of the number of e-mails I've sent to the CoP asking when these cycling lanes would be provided, think I only got one response saying they were looking into it.

Today, CoP announces that Barrack St work is almost complete and will be two-way from noon on 11 September 2010. Details here.

So where are the cycling lanes promised back in 17 Feb 2009?

CycleSnail

Re: City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:17 am

mmm. did not see bicycle lanes mentioned in the press release. I think they got lost along the way?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 am

CycleSnail wrote:mmm. did not see bicycle lanes mentioned in the press release. I think they got lost along the way?
I think we should all email the contact email address and ask the question. I know I just did - not that I expect any response...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 pm

uMP2k wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:mmm. did not see bicycle lanes mentioned in the press release. I think they got lost along the way?
I think we should all email the contact email address and ask the question. I know I just did - not that I expect any response...
Hi

Good idea. Where did you find the email address or better still can you share it?

Thanks
Andrew

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:
uMP2k wrote:
Hi

Good idea. Where did you find the email address or better still can you share it?

Thanks
Andrew
I just sent it to the email address on the media statement:

terrace.upgrade@cityofperth.wa.gov.au

Stephen

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi

I have also taken up Stephen's suggestion and sent an email off. Also cc the Lord Mayor and the councillors ... also asked about the integrity of the 2010 - 2021 City of Perth Bicycle Plan in light of this outcome :)

Andrew

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

I have also taken up Stephen's suggestion and sent an email off. Also cc the Lord Mayor and the councillors ... also asked about the integrity of the 2010 - 2021 City of Perth Bicycle Plan in light of this outcome :)

Andrew
Good idea - I did not think to cc the Councillors let alone the Lord Mayor.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I've written to them also.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 am

I've trawled back through previous e-mails, and found the e-mail indicating they were looking into it. Below copied from a word document provided by CoP back in July 2010:
Barrack Street bidirectional (Copenhagen style) cycle way

During the preparation of the City’s draft Urban Design Framework, Barrack Street was identified as a desirable and practical strategic north-south cycling link across the CBD, to efficiently and safely connect the riverside shared path in the south to the Roe Street Principal Shared Path in the north and beyond.

As part of the imminent reintroduction of two-way traffic on Barrack Street, between The Esplanade and St Georges Terrace, our concept plan showed a bidirectional, or Copenhagen style, cycle way being installed on the eastern side of Barrack Street, from Riverside Drive to St Georges Terrace. Although a cycling route is still planned along that route, the construction of a cycleway has been deferred until we resolve some detailed design and transport planning issues.

This primarily involves finalising a Transport Master Plan Strategic Agreement between the City, Town of Vincent, Main Roads WA and the Public Transport Authority that, amongst other initiatives, will see bus routes on Barrack Street, between The Esplanade and Wellington Street, relocate to William Street.

The Perth City Streets Transport Master Plan Strategic Agreement is being developed to meet the strategic objectives of providing a quality pedestrian environment; ensuring an efficient on-street public transport system; and creating a more legible, permeable road network by reintroducing two-way traffic to many of the city’s one-way roads.

Once the agreement is finalised and has been adopted by all parties it is expected a number of major changes will be made to the city’s road network in 3 project phases. The provision of a bidirectional cycleway along the full length of Barrack Street is part of Phase 2 of that work which is anticipated to be implemented from 2012 to 2014.

So re-reading this again tonight, CoP will pull up Barrack Street again, sometime in 2012 to 2014. Really glad I took the time to provide comments on the Urban Design Framework back in March 2010 where I mentioned Barrack Street then.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 pm

rolandp wrote:I've trawled back through previous e-mails, and found the e-mail indicating they were looking into it. Below copied from a word document provided by CoP back in July 2010:
Barrack Street bidirectional (Copenhagen style) cycle way

During the preparation of the City’s draft Urban Design ...

So re-reading this again tonight, CoP will pull up Barrack Street again, sometime in 2012 to 2014. Really glad I took the time to provide comments on the Urban Design Framework back in March 2010 where I mentioned Barrack Street then.
Sounds to me like something that is never going to happen... :!:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Quote from CEO of PerthFrank Edwards from Sep 2009:
“The Council also wants to provide a north-south bicycle route so that cyclists can move more readily between the two major shared-use paths that run along Roe Street and the river foreshore.

“With that in mind, a bi-directional path will be built along Barrack Street from Riverside Drive to St Georges Terrace with a kerb separating cyclists from motor vehicle traffic. This will provide a missing link for people who commute to work by bicycle.

Surely he won't go back on his word. Or maybe he already has. Should we wait until 2012-2014 to find out?

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, we need to hold him accountable. I had a dream that by 2012 there will be so many cyclists using Barrack St & Milligan St that the whole street will become a bike lane! :) Milligan Street is already like that at times. More bikes than cars waiting at the lights - but the cars take up 4x the amount of space. I don't think that bike lanes will solve only problem I have with Milligan Street - people trying to right hook you. My Air Zound has helped but geez, one of those red AFP cars almost did it to me this morning.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:12 pm

No point holding the CEO accountable or accusing him of going back on his word.
The CEO has to implement the policies of the council.
If the councillors of the day say no bike lane on Barrack Street then the CEO has no choice in the matter.

Any correspondence should be aimed at the Councillors.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, I just received a response from the City of Perth, quoted below in full:

Thank you for contacting the City of Perth.

The City of Perth is committed to improving cycling connections in the
CBD. A two-way cycle lane is planned for Barrack Street. The new cycle
lane will link Riverside Drive to Wellington Street. The cycle lane will
be constructed in one go as opposed to in stages. Planning for this is
now underway.

Regards,
Ray Dunne

Maybe my earlier cynicism was unwarranted...or not...

Edited to express a little cynicism :D
Last edited by uMP2k on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi Stephen

I got exactly the same reply, well my name instead of yours but otherwise the same response. Seriously lacking in specifics but and no explanation as to why the concept plan was not implemented.

Andrew

pickle

Postby pickle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Its interesting that there aren't any dates attached to the responses you guys got. I wonder if this means they can get away with doing some hand waving and saying "we'll get to it sometime in the future". Do you think a timeline exists for this project?
Data not found... brain not found more like it

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:14 pm

pickle wrote:Its interesting that there aren't any dates attached to the responses you guys got. I wonder if this means they can get away with doing some hand waving and saying "we'll get to it sometime in the future". Do you think a timeline exists for this project?
From rolandp's earlier post
...Once the agreement is finalised and has been adopted by all parties it is expected a number of major changes will be made to the city’s road network in 3 project phases. The provision of a bidirectional cycleway along the full length of Barrack Street is part of Phase 2 of that work which is anticipated to be implemented from 2012 to 2014. ...
Too old to live, too slow to die.

pickle

Postby pickle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 pm

blkmcs wrote: From rolandp's earlier post
...Once the agreement is finalised and has been adopted by all parties it is expected a number of major changes will be made to the city’s road network in 3 project phases. The provision of a bidirectional cycleway along the full length of Barrack Street is part of Phase 2 of that work which is anticipated to be implemented from 2012 to 2014. ...
Thanks for that.. I really don't think I'm with it today. Brain fail.
Data not found... brain not found more like it

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 am

I got exactly the same response as well, interestingly e-mail sent out from RayD@millswilson.com.au (Mills Wilson's are communication consultants). So the City needs to outsource written corrospondance now, hope they are not being charged by the e-mails sent, given that we all got exactly the same response.

My response back was:
Can you let me know:
When the City decided not to proceed with installing the Barrack Street cycle lanes as part of the original scheduled work?
How this decision was conveyed to the cycling communities and the general public?
Where exactly will the Barrack Street cycle lanes go, given that there is now no room left with existing footpaths and road traffic lanes?
Approximate dates when the Barrack Street cycle lanes will be installed?

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 am

It's sad to see such a poor effort considering the City of Perth was trying real hard to be proactive.

I say make the road 2-way and have a 1.2M wide dedicated cycle lane on each side like they do in most of Germany.

On-street parking is also good but there needs to be a ~1m hazard/buffer zone between the parking zone and the cycle lane to try and prevent cyclists getting 'doored'.

Looks like the culmination of Perth-style bureaucracy, an ineffective planning system and old-school transport planners/road engineers in charge.

Maybe one day they will get it right?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm

rolandp wrote:I got exactly the same response as well, interestingly e-mail sent out from RayD@millswilson.com.au (Mills Wilson's are communication consultants). So the City needs to outsource written corrospondance now, hope they are not being charged by the e-mails sent, given that we all got exactly the same response.
Hi

Good catch Roland. I missed that. I haven't received a response from the Mayor or the Councillors. I guess integrity and manners are not a priority for the City of Perth.

Andrew

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:44 pm

I got a response from Lisa Scaffidi!

Thanks for your email. The bike lanes will be phased in when they can link up to other bikeways in the city. The changes are all sequenced over time and we agree with you a more bike friendly city is ultimately the aim. We also need to give due cognisance to traders and property owners needs too. As with many things it is a balancing act but over time you will see the changes you seek.

Kind regards, Lisa

Lisa Scaffidi
Lord Mayor
City of Perth

More interesting than the other responses. Shows the priorities pretty clearly.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:22 am

How come you're the lucky one to get a response from the Mayor. Hopefully mine will come tomorrow.

Maybe there is another reason the bike lanes aren't being installed, Barrack St was declared a conservation areaback in Aug 2009. Having cycling lanes through a conservation area may not look good.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:22 am

jet-ski wrote:I got a response from Lisa Scaffidi!

Thanks for your email. The bike lanes will be phased in when they can link up to other bikeways in the city. The changes are all sequenced over time and we agree with you a more bike friendly city is ultimately the aim. We also need to give due cognisance to traders and property owners needs too. As with many things it is a balancing act but over time you will see the changes you seek.

Kind regards, Lisa

Lisa Scaffidi
Lord Mayor
City of Perth

More interesting than the other responses. Shows the priorities pretty clearly.
Sounds better.. now why didn't they just say that in the first place?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:17 pm

rolandp wrote:How come you're the lucky one to get a response from the Mayor. Hopefully mine will come tomorrow.

Maybe there is another reason the bike lanes aren't being installed, Barrack St was declared a conservation areaback in Aug 2009. Having cycling lanes through a conservation area may not look good.
If they want it to be a 'conservation' area, best they put trams back in and get rid of the cars.