City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

rolandp

Re: City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Postby rolandp » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Bike lanes classified as minor works, and take 4 months to complete???? This schedule is one month longer, even the article indicates it is now compressed:
"They convinced us that we should compress the program, put more people on the job, work longer hours and we've done that to reduce the time frame by three months," he said.

We've been waiting 6 years for these lanes - I hope the wait provides a safer cycling environment.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:19 pm

Its no longer a minor cycling project, its a complete reconstruction of the street.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 am

The cycle lanes will be open when the street goes two way, as the cycle lanes further south are currently open. What you don't have is the green surfacing on the cycle advance areas and signal approaches as this surfacing cannot be laid straight onto fresh asphalt. It needs a couple of months before this can happen. I think the only time scale differences are between the words "usable" and "complete".

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:32 pm

Which would be fine if the green paint wasn't the difference between cars using it as parking and it being available as an actual bike lane.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Since it's illegal to park in a bike lane, perhaps the tow trucks in the CBD would keep Barrack Street bike lanes clear?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 pm

They should, it's included within the PPMA clearway zone.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:09 am

Below photos taken 14-Sep, some of the 'green' has gone down:
This does include those 'armadillo' barriers at the intersections as well as an occasional drain.

It was interesting to see the guys putting down the 'green', I thought it would have involved heavy machinery, but it was two guys, one holding a bucket of 'green', and the other with a broom to spread-it:
$2.3m coming from Perth Parking Levy to pay for these lanes, it would be very interesting to see the breakdown of costs for them.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Walked along Barrack St yesterday, seems to be close to completion. I wonder if crews are working overtime to have it ready for Prince Charles visit to open the Treasury Buildings this Sunday ?

Fun for pedestrians trying to cross St Georges Terrace with the button behind fencing

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Not due to go two way until November 29th, so Charlie will not see the finished article. Even then it won't have armadillos and green cycle lanes for another couple of months.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:11 pm

Waiting at the lights southbound at Barrack/Riverside is a bit unnerving with the cars turning left across you, feels a little exposed. I don't get the same feeling northbound at Barrack/Esplanade, so I'm not quite sure what it is.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:08 pm

wellington_street wrote:Waiting at the lights southbound at Barrack/Riverside is a bit unnerving with the cars turning left across you, feels a little exposed. I don't get the same feeling northbound at Barrack/Esplanade, so I'm not quite sure what it is.
My views the same for the Barrack/Riverside southbound. Still working out if there is a censoring the road for us.

Getting to Barracks/Riverside northbound, still haven't worked out how to do it, and just wing it each time, as there doesn't currently be a set of lights to cross the Bell Tower/Ferry 'car park'.

At the Barracks/The Esplanade I actually turn left, and head west down The Esplanade. The challenge is, there is a left green arrow for road users, but a red cycling light, so I'm caught in the question, do I become a 'road user' and don't use the available cycle lane, or do I wait until the cycle lantern is green and I can the turn left, or I just turn left when there is a green arrow ignoring the red cycle lantern? I wonder if these types of questions get asked across the world, as it surprises me that these types of scenarios there isn't a known solution?

I also reported the 'caged' pedestrian crossing at a different location, response back was that these lights in peak periods are automatically timed, so doesn't require anyone to push the button. I did question what happens during non-peak time, and never got a response back.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:38 am

The cobbled surface through Barrack Square is horrendous to ride on - i will be using the footpath from now. Pretty ridiculous given its otherwise a perfect mixed traffic environment for cycling and a major pedestrian area where you dont really want bikes on the path.

What i dont understand is how one gets from the new bridge onto Barrack Street northbound. There is a short cycle lane but no ramp down from the path and as mentioned above im not riding on that horrible cobbled surface. So i have been skipping the lights and using the driveway lip inside the intersection. I am surprised MRWA or CoP did not pick this up in the design as this is a major cycling route.

As for the right turn from Riverside into Barrack - just go when the general traffic goes. I think this is how it is intended as there is no other way?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:44 pm

None of it is really finished, so there's still a few signs or a bit of paint to be placed. And Roland, the cycle lanterns at The Esplanade are for northbound cyclists to progress safely without worrying about crossing the double left turning traffic. If you want to go left, you can use the shared path or the road.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:30 pm

wellington_street wrote:The cobbled surface through Barrack Square is horrendous to ride on - i will be using the footpath from now. Pretty ridiculous given its otherwise a perfect mixed traffic environment for cycling and a major pedestrian area where you dont really want bikes on the path.

What i dont understand is how one gets from the new bridge onto Barrack Street northbound. There is a short cycle lane but no ramp down from the path and as mentioned above im not riding on that horrible cobbled surface. So i have been skipping the lights and using the driveway lip inside the intersection. I am surprised MRWA or CoP did not pick this up in the design as this is a major cycling route.

As for the right turn from Riverside into Barrack - just go when the general traffic goes. I think this is how it is intended as there is no other way?
There is a ramp and it leads to passage to the PSP heading to the Causeway as well as to the Bell Tower but on the east side of it. I'll try and look specifically for it's route to the west side of Barrack and Riverside in the next day or two and report back.

In view of the pedestrian focus of the precinct I expect that any bike routes will not be laid and marked in a way to suggest commute routes at commute speed. Gently gently, share with care.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:27 pm

You think the cobble stones are bad, has anyone thought what the bridge surface will be?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:43 am

It cant be worse than the rattling planks on Trafalgar Bridge.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Will it be wood?

If the surface is boarded to the standard that already has been layed in front (rear?) of rhe Bell Tower then it will be way smoother than the cobbles around there.

Of course, wood inevitably degrades over time.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 am

wellington_street wrote:It cant be worse than the rattling planks on Trafalgar Bridge.
If we assume that the Elizabeth Quay Bridge is twice as long as Trafalgar Bridge, then it will be twice as worse.

Someone else needs to contact BWA, who have been in consultation for the last three years. They don't answer my emails.

It all will be revealed in the next few weeks, as more photos are made available on the project, and then when it is finally opened.

Should we have a sweep stake on what the surface will be?

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:50 pm

rolandp wrote:Should we have a sweep stake on what the surface will be?
All those who attended the Main Roads Cycling Coordination Meeting on 17 August would be excluded from the sweepstake, as the contractors gave a presentation on the bridge.

(btw it's going to be Jarrah)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:49 pm

From info released in January last year (my emphasis)
The $20 million structure will connect the inlet island with the foreshore, and will be constructed using steel and wood.

The Planning Minister John Day said the bridge would be an important link between the cafes and bars on the promenades, the island and the new ferry terminal.

He said the bridge would be high enough to allow most boats through, and wide enough to be used by both cyclists and pedestrians.

"[It] will be available to cyclists, but only to use in slow-mode, it's obviously not for high-speed cycling use, and that will need to be managed and thought will be given as to how that is controlled," he said.
At the time it was described as 110m long.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Sinner wrote:(btw it's going to be Jarrah)
There's an official drone flyover of Elizabeth Quay on Youtube where you can see the bridge surface being worked on around the 1:50 mark:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:55 am

Sorry, I forgot to report back as I said I would re ramp to Barrack Street.

The ramp is on cobblestones, but not he cruddy ones they have on the road. Prolly not too bad on narrow hard tyres. From there you head along the left side of vehicle road as you would expect. And at where that roadway conects to Barrack St/Riverside drive they start the path for bikes. Unfortunately they have not rampede of the path onto the road so yo have a curb-height drop. I guess that most on quality racing frames will choose to dismount while on the path and then placing the bike onto the area marked for bikes.

Not quite as good as it should be. To make it as it should be would involve simply replacing about a metre of curb with a meter-widthd of ramping and maybe that'll happen one day.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of pavé sector on your commute.

Live dangerously :P

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Sorry, I forgot to report back as I said I would re ramp to Barrack Street.

The ramp is on cobblestones, but not he cruddy ones they have on the road. Prolly not too bad on narrow hard tyres. From there you head along the left side of vehicle road as you would expect. And at where that roadway conects to Barrack St/Riverside drive they start the path for bikes. Unfortunately they have not rampede of the path onto the road so yo have a curb-height drop. I guess that most on quality racing frames will choose to dismount while on the path and then placing the bike onto the area marked for bikes.

Not quite as good as it should be. To make it as it should be would involve simply replacing about a metre of curb with a meter-widthd of ramping and maybe that'll happen one day.
I am certain that bikes will just use the path and enter the road via the driveway lip in the intersection. Has the benefit of skipping the red light too. Dismounting is extremely unlikely (and unacceptable on a cycling route).

softy

Postby softy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Coming over the Barrack st railway bridge this morning, could see all down Barrack street and the shoulder cycle lanes are on each side of the road, not a seperated lane, but something i suppose.

i don't know if it will cope with the volume of cross city traffic. :(