City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

wellington_street

Re: City of Perth - where is the cycle lanes on Barrack St?

Postby wellington_street » Tue May 20, 2014 10:43 am

There's also these markings in the right lane.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 am

Reviving a pretty old thread here but just saw this through facebook:
Reece Harley - Councillor, City of Perth
-
I was proud to vote in favour of a plan to revert Barrack Street to two way traffic through the City of Perth at tonight's Council meeting!

Barrack Street was originally built as a two-way street, and our plan will return the street to its original functionality, with the added benefit of on-road, green-painted bike paths in both directions.

Two-way streets improve navigability and have resulted in a more pedestrian friendly environment.

These bike lanes will provide an important piece in the puzzle to finally connect the Riverside Drive bike path to the Roe Street bike path - a crucial north/south connection.

The plan will now go out to public consultation so I urge you to throw your weight behind it to create the beautiful City we all desire.

https://www.facebook.com/ReeceHarley4Perth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 pm

jet-ski wrote:I got a response from Lisa Scaffidi!

Thanks for your email. The bike lanes will be phased in when they can link up to other bikeways in the city. The changes are all sequenced over time and we agree with you a more bike friendly city is ultimately the aim. We also need to give due cognisance to traders and property owners needs too. As with many things it is a balancing act but over time you will see the changes you seek.

Kind regards, Lisa

Lisa Scaffidi
Lord Mayor
City of Perth

More interesting than the other responses. Shows the priorities pretty clearly.
over time . What time frame is this? over time fuel resources will diminish, then you will see the changes you seek.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm hoping they continue to return the streets to two-way throughout the east end also. Murray St is a lot nicer for pedestrians now.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:33 pm

twowheels wrote:What time frame is this?
Long after She-Ra has left office, based on other cycling non-action in CoP. Love her other work but just throws the lack of cycling support into stark relief
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:57 pm

I have some concerns with the cyclist in the bike lanes going straight on with left turning vehicles in the main traffic lane on the right. If the lights are red then the bike box, where present, will enable to cyclists to go to the front. Any cyclist arriving and going through on green is a left hook candidate. Worrying.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 am

That's no different to every other cycle lane in Perth - the only way* to avoid that is to have separate phasing for cyclists which would be a disaster and no doubt have severe compliance issues. The bike boxes and advanced stop lines assist in making cyclists more visible.

The bigger concern is the absence of bike boxes at most intersections to allow right turns.

* Separate left turn lanes can't fit due the need for right turns. That's two way traffic for you

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:07 am

Why did it have to go back to Council for approval?

It was approved on 17 Feb 2009. Just build the lanes and stop delaying them CoP.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am

twowheels wrote:time . What time frame is this?
A bike friendly Perth CBD will run a close second to the heat death of the universe.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:30 pm

wellington_street wrote:That's no different to every other cycle lane in Perth - the only way* to avoid that is to have separate phasing for cyclists which would be a disaster and no doubt have severe compliance issues. The bike boxes and advanced stop lines assist in making cyclists more visible.

The bigger concern is the absence of bike boxes at most intersections to allow right turns.

* Separate left turn lanes can't fit due the need for right turns. That's two way traffic for you

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 am

I hope that cyclists travelling north across Hay Street at the head of the mall will not blaze through on red lights.

However I expect instead that there will be a decent n umber of selfish riders who will bring us all into disrepute by barrelling across and peds whether crossing when they should or otherwise..
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

FranZ

Postby FranZ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I noticed this posted just yesterday:

"The Barrack Street bike lanes between Riverside Drive and St Georges Terrace are being designed and will be built by mid-2015."

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pa ... tatId=8696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

softy

Postby softy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Everyone I see rides up the malls and footpath in the CBD, even the police and also the mezzanine paths around Myers.

Really the cycle infrustracture is really poor, come off the river or over the railway and everthing cycle evaporates, it will be very welcome to see something for the bicycles to have to navigate peds and cars.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 am

FranZ wrote:I noticed this posted just yesterday:

"The Barrack Street bike lanes between Riverside Drive and St Georges Terrace are being designed and will be built by mid-2015."

http://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pa ... tatId=8696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Different section of Barrack Street. The section between Riverside Drive and St Georges Terrace is being paid for by the DoT and will become the City of Perth's responsibility. Because of Elizabeth Quay, it was incorporated in the roadworks for Elizabeth Quay and therefore has to align with that project's programme. The section between St Georges Terrace and Wellington Street is still scheduled for July 2015 completion by the City of Perth.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:54 am

And from City of Perth:
A cycle friendly street
Dedicated on-road cycle lanes will complete the crucial north-south cycle connection between Roe Street, the CBD and the waterfront (Cycle lanes south of St Georges Terrace are expected to be completed before the end of 2014).

Article posted 1st October 2014. So in two weeks the build date has moved by 6 months. Is it really this hard to build cycle lanes in Perth CBD?

From 17th Feb 2009 when the proposal was announced, 5.5 years later and we still can't get an agreed date between Local and State Government. Unbelievable.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Roland,

The build date had to be moved because of the Mirvac Tower construction works. you will notice that at the moment every day the eastern side footpath and one traffic lane are taken for these works. So until they are complete, there can't be a cycle lane.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Sinner,
The Mirvac Tower is north of St. George's Terrace. The cycle lane that has been pushed back another six months is the lane south of St. George's Terrace, presumably down to Barrack St. Jetty and the shared path along the riverfront. This would have been useful as it would remove some cyclists from the far too narrow shared use pavement, and removed some cyclists from cycling through the pedestrian only section at supreme court gardens. It would have also have reduced cyclist journey times.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Talks_to_Swans wrote:Sinner,
The Mirvac Tower is north of St. George's Terrace. The cycle lane that has been pushed back another six months is the lane south of St. George's Terrace, presumably down to Barrack St. Jetty and the shared path along the riverfront. This would have been useful as it would remove some cyclists from the far too narrow shared use pavement, and removed some cyclists from cycling through the pedestrian only section at supreme court gardens. It would have also have reduced cyclist journey times.
Maybe they plan to do the whole length all at once, i.e. after the Mirvac Tower obstructions are gone.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:58 am

Feedback closes 24-Oct-2014 (aka tomorrow).

Please take the time to respond, rather than respond to this topic, as pretty sure CoP won't use this forum topic as a response.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:47 am

Got a email response from Lord Mayor tonight:
Sent: ‎Friday‎, ‎14‎ ‎November‎ ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎34‎ ‎PM
To: Roland Parrotte

The Lord Mayor would like to thank you for your query. As you would
appreciate the Lord Mayor receives many emails in a day and is committed to
responding to your query within 3 working days.
Thank you for writing to the City of Perth.
Lisa Scaffidi
Lord Mayor
City of Perth

In response to:

Cycle lanes on Barrack St

Roland Parrotte
to:
terrace.upgrade, lord.mayor, john.tognolini
06/09/2010 06:26 AM
Show Details
Can you please provide an additional update to my previous e-mails relating
to Barrack St and where the cycle lanes are.
Cycle lanes are specified on City of Perth's website here
4 years to get this response. This may explain why there is still no cycle paths on Barrack St.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:35 am

I wouldn't want to be in the IT area of City of Perth right now.

I got another response from the Lord Mayor, thanking me for an e-mail dated 13-Oct-2010 (National Ride to Work Day). This was to inform the Lord Mayor that I had parked the bike out of front of the City of Perth offices against a flag pole, as there were no bike parking facilities in sight. I received a 'move-on notice' as a result of this action.

I had asked the Lord Mayor why there were no cycle lanes in any of the recent road upgrades (at that time this included St Georges Tce, The Esplanade and Barrack St).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:50 am

I received the same email times two ...

Andrew

softy

Postby softy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:30 am

They need more than a (whatever they call a shoudler area with a picture of a bicycle in it, which means nothing) lane.

It needs to be separate, embeded in the footpath, not just a white line seperation. There is no way of getting from the river to the rail without navigating peds and cars in busy Perth. For a newbie, it must be super scary. To make matters worse, mall riding is illegal and those cops on bikes are ready to nab you.

Although I have seen them on many occasions riding in the mall illegally!

So what is the C of Perth doing for cyclists safety on the road, zip.
All they are interested in is changing one way to two way, to accomadate motor vehicles. Waste of money if you ask me. I remember when they changed it from two way to one years ago, to reduce congestion! Make up your mind C of Perth, stop wasting money. Central CBDs should not be for vehicles, it should be for peds and bikes. This is the main commuting medium in these areas.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Noticed what looks to be a dedicated cycle lane on Wellington Street outside the new developments. Probably the only 100m or so of quality dedicated lane we'll ever see.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:50 am

I feel that it's more for the taxi's than the cyclists, but yesterday I noticed that in lieu of ever getting safe cycle facilities on Barrack Street people are now legally allowed to cycle in the bus lane according to the signs. Hurray!