Look Mum - I'm flying

CXCommuter

Re: Look Mum - I'm flying

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 am

Roland- that was you at Karrinyup Rd?- I passed you when you where picking up the cone and perhaps rode up behind you through Duncraig before you turned off to the PSP at beach Rd I think it was.

The repair has been done but some bright spark then rode through it whilst still wet.

BTW I have received the Ultegra rear wheel and hope to have the commuter back up and running. The Prolite wheel is also getting rebuilt ATM- claim form has been submitted to main roads and once I have a final invoice will send to them.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:58 am

Received the rebuilt rear wheel from Pro Lite- looks good (Merano rim, bladed spokes and my original hub) - rides really well too. So thanks to Deon for the assistance. Still awaiting feedback re my claim at Main Roads-it is in the system for review.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:47 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Received the rebuilt rear wheel from Pro Lite- looks good (Merano rim, bladed spokes and my original hub) - rides really well too. So thanks to Deon for the assistance. Still awaiting feedback re my claim at Main Roads-it is in the system for review.
Awesome - you've now got what was known as a "Stelvio" :-) (Merano rim with Bracciano hub).

Got any photos?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

Will grab a photo in the next day or so- I haven't posted the TCX up here yet also- better do it as she is getting long in the legs the poor old girl.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Photo as requested, taken at the scene of the crime

Apologies to the poor photo taking re the rules but if I turned the bike around it kept on rolling down the hill or fell over. Also, it is a commuter not a coffee shop warrior. Running an old front Bracciano I got as a cheap set secondhand- the rear wheel was already dead (worn brake tracks and spokes pulled out of the rim), hub saved in case I need parts.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:01 pm

I got two wheels of air last night at the Mitchell North Hutton St. offramp, adjacent to the light/sound place there's a similar accumulated heat expansion point with bitumen to smooth it, but becoming more of a /\ with the heat. That was fun. Very glad it doesn't happen in the wet!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 pm

eldavo wrote:I got two wheels of air last night at the Mitchell North Hutton St. offramp, adjacent to the light/sound place there's a similar accumulated heat expansion point with bitumen to smooth it, but becoming more of a /\ with the heat. That was fun. Very glad it doesn't happen in the wet!
That one has been around forever and is usually okay but on hotter days like yesterday raises up slowly like a ramp on an aircraft carrier- did you do a trick mid air bmx style Eldavo or just go for height and distance?

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:11 am

eldavo wrote:I got two wheels of air last night at the Mitchell North Hutton St. offramp, adjacent to the light/sound place there's a similar accumulated heat expansion point with bitumen to smooth it, but becoming more of a /\ with the heat. That was fun. Very glad it doesn't happen in the wet!
So it's not just me, I'm sure that one has gotten worse of late.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:02 am

Trepidious wrote:
So it's not just me, I'm sure that one has gotten worse of late.
Has anyone reported it?

It was captured and provided to MainRoads/Minister of Transport as part of my example of conditions of the PSP:

This was back in 2012, and reran in 2013.

Please report these items, otherwise, they don't get fixed. And please be patient, as shown above, they do take a little while to fix, but if more than one person reports it, then potentially it goes up the queue.

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 pm

It's definitely gotten worse, I'm sure the heat makes it worse. I've been lazy about doing anything but my current commute means I'll be running along that section on Thursday night so I'll grab some pictures for extra evidence and get it submitted. I appreciate Main Roads's indirect way of getting me to fix my hybrid but I'm sure it can't be that hard to fix.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Most recent update on the claim. Received a missed call and message from Main Roads that my claim has been approved and paperwork will be coming through snail mail, likely to be legal paperwork to say that I will make no new claims on this issue. I will continue to keep this up to date as to final progress and any issues. But if you have a strong case that can be verified then Main Roads are happy to discuss.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Trepidious wrote:It's definitely gotten worse, I'm sure the heat makes it worse. I've been lazy about doing anything but my current commute means I'll be running along that section on Thursday night so I'll grab some pictures for extra evidence and get it submitted. I appreciate Main Roads's indirect way of getting me to fix my hybrid but I'm sure it can't be that hard to fix.
Should be nicely raised tonight. Looks like it's going to be a hot afternoon today and tomorrow
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Trepidious wrote:It's definitely gotten worse, I'm sure the heat makes it worse. I've been lazy about doing anything but my current commute means I'll be running along that section on Thursday night so I'll grab some pictures for extra evidence and get it submitted. I appreciate Main Roads's indirect way of getting me to fix my hybrid but I'm sure it can't be that hard to fix.
Should be nicely raised tonight. Looks like it's going to be a hot afternoon today and tomorrow
Not sure about that now that is cracked which may take some of the stress off the whole join.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Great to hear CXCommuter!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Now its free to slide like tectonic plates... At least the continental shelf will be on the slower uphill direction, CXCommuter's new rim will get a trial by fire :D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 pm

eldavo wrote:Now its free to slide like tectonic plates... At least the continental shelf will be on the slower uphill direction, CXCommuter's new rim will get a trial by fire :D
Just popped out for lunch- tis a bit warm today- may lead to further tectonic activity. Rim is holding up well so far- even running over this location downhill most days this week. But as a relative lightweight I have always been tough on wheels- always used downhil rims when MTBing (Mavic 121 and 521's in the pre disc days)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 am

Tree down between Karrinyup and Civic Place (around the original location of this topic). Reported to MainRoads last night.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:56 am

rolandp wrote:Tree down between Karrinyup and Civic Place (around the original location of this topic). Reported to MainRoads last night.
I reported this one around 8pm. Rode through around 6:30am, the next morning, and the tree has been cleared.

Well done Main Roads and clearing this overnight.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:41 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:
Not sure about that now that is cracked which may take some of the stress off the whole join.
This section got replaced today.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 am

Can confirm that- this section is now too boring- needs something to spice it all up, maybe some broken glass?

Can't keep cyclists happy :roll:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 pm

Final update- claim has been paid into our account and signed a disclaimer that the matter is closed. Mainroads have been good to deal with and kudos to all who put in reports of issues along the PSP. As my case shows having a history of issues can be used to show ongoing "neglect" and assist in claims.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:29 am

Glad it worked out for you CX.

Personally, I wonder how many of my repairs are results on riding this PSP. These include pinched flats, broken spokes and buckled wheels, each are minor repairs but can up to $100's each year, as well as loss in time to repair/walk the bike to train station etc, which I would be surprised I can submit a claim for these.

I would prefer that the PSP's are more effectively maintained, so that we don't get these repair items, we aren't swinging out around a known issue to avoid it, and in some cases, personal injury.

In this case, something went wrong with the attempted repair, the follow up maintenance visits, and the follow up requests to have it repaired. This was over a period of 3 months, where that crack was a result of a attempted repair, which I personally reported to Main Roads back in November 2013 on the day it occurred.

As cyclists, please take the time to report these types of issues. The more individuals who do, the more Main Roads hopefully will recognise the issue and allocate resources to repair.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:43 am

Roland, do you have a workflow of your reporting apps/links to follow?

My new job commute takes me east directly up the shared paths on Beach Rd. to Malaga.

I now only see 2 cyclists in the morning, one in each direction, glass on each long section, a few tree root rumble strips to make your bump meter blow its accelerometer. Given the hostile local shared path traffic I wouldn't blame them for telling me tough titties not a priority.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 pm

eldavo wrote:Roland, do you have a workflow of your reporting apps/links to follow?

My new job commute takes me east directly up the shared paths on Beach Rd. to Malaga.

I now only see 2 cyclists in the morning, one in each direction, glass on each long section, a few tree root rumble strips to make your bump meter blow its accelerometer. Given the hostile local shared path traffic I wouldn't blame them for telling me tough titties not a priority.
Eldavo, see PSP Maintenance - is enough being done. I've used Pothole Agent app for the last three years to record different sections of the PSP roughly on an annual basis. I hardly ever ride to Malaga (I do recall once attempting to take a route through Malaga as an alternative to the Northern PSP which I never repeated), so report broken glass etc to MainRoads or the local Council. In relation to the 'hostile local shared path traffic', I'll leave you to determine the best way to resolve.

This would also explain why I haven't seen you recently on the northern PSP.

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 am

Eldavo, talking about beach road, I travel down it every day aswell. Caught this yesterday which fits our view of the area.

If only cars had some sort of registration or license plate... :shock: