Transperth Lock'n'Ride

eldavo

Re: Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby eldavo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm

catscatscats

Postby catscatscats » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to riding and want to start riding to the train stations but am worried about my bike being damaged or stolen. It is a nice second hand bike and it is perfect for me so I'd rather nothing happen to it. I will be parking it at warwick station (if I decide to). Can people honestly tell me if it is safe? How many thefts happen if people know... How does the system work? Any info would be great. Thank you

cray-

Postby cray- » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 pm

You need to register a SmartRider. Instruction and more info here: http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Using-T ... e-Shelters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They had a technical problem which limited the total number of users for each station but I believe that has been resolved. They get busy when the weather is fine. Transperth take no responsibility for damage or theft. Bikes do get stolen (I've seen flyers at Cockburn Stn) and damaged, you park there at your own risk. I ended up with small slashes to my bartape and seat from one incident years ago, I'm pretty sure it was just through carelessness with sharp handlebars, not malicious.

I suggest buiding up a bunky train station bike from your nearest verge collection, I wouldn't trust my pride and joy to those cages.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:50 pm

+1 for building a bunky bike.

Not just so it's unappealing to thieves, but also also because it's going to be knocked knocked and scratched up by other careless people locking their bikes to the same rail.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:58 pm

I'd say its not much worse a risk than parking a car at a train station, and definitely not a reason to be put off riding. Have at least one good d-lock and two are better. I'd also plan not to leave it overnight or a weekend.

(Having said that, for about a year I had a crusty old Gumtree- begotten mountain bike stationed full-time in the one at Edgewater for remote base transportation - with a d-lock on the back and cable on the front I had no issues).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Lizzy wrote:I'd say its not much worse a risk than parking a car at a train station, and definitely not a reason to be put off riding. Have at least one good d-lock and two are better. I'd also plan not to leave it overnight or a weekend.
Yes, but I'd rather they stole my car than my bike. Is that bad?

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Around here, I'd say not! [emoji1] But it does sound like you're a candidate for a designated train-statuon clunker.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

catscatscats

Postby catscatscats » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks heaps people! I rode there the other day and it wasn't stolen or damaged yay!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:08 pm

AlexHuggs wrote: Yes, but I'd rather they stole my car than my bike. Is that bad?
Insured for more than it's worth? :P

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm starting to wonder why we have these bike cages.

I thought the idea of the bike cages were that only registered users had access to the cage, and that registrations were restricted in number.

Latest Minister Media Statement

Stronger locks urged for train passengers with bikes
"The upgrade also involved installing SmartRider technology to another 40 bike shelters so only passengers can swipe to access the facilities, and installing CCTV cameras in all 48 bike shelters."

It sounds like some low lives are still able to steal bikes, and d-locks suggested. Guess you can't stop desperate individuals, and maybe the 'secure' bike shelters provide protection from vandals.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:21 am

How about spending 2 million to get some "bike only" carriages for the trains?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:09 pm

as posted on the /r/perth sub-reddit today, with a snipe about the free D lock program;

Apparently spotted at Burswood.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:49 pm

more individual bike lockers would be awesome ~ I only ever store my bike in those.
** when i do use them its at 6am when there is plenty of room, I don't know how many people actually want to use them later.

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Mitre 10 had a special on battery powered angle grinders a few weeks ago. I don't think any bike lock would stop one of those. They would probably even cut the cage. I would only leave a no value clunker there.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:44 pm

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:11 am

nachoman wrote:
Pretty good ad. And nice to see someone rocking a Stackhat :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Only thing wrong in that advert is the guy riding the BH....you're not going to lock that up at a train station.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:11 pm

I like the honest title "Cycle to the Station",
...and at the end of the day walk home.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:40 pm

Tim wrote:I like the honest title "Cycle to the Station",
...and at the end of the day walk home.
lol
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!