Andrew
Thanks Andrew
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

wagr1213

Re: Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby wagr1213 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:49 pm

The cage at Midland is coming along now too!

Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

some more of these shed facilities being built at Claremont, Swanbourne, Cottesloe and Kelmscott in the last week or so

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm

the one in Maylands has been completed but I have not seen a bike inside it yet, while there are still haphazardly chained bikes around the station....

signing up is a bit of a pain, and they also only allow you to sign up for one of them.... with more going up, I think they need the flexibility of people to sign up for more than one...
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Saturday I walked past the one at Cockburn Central, spotted a bike chained up by front wheel, rear wheel was missing.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Bassendean and Guildford now under construction too!

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:25 pm

Maylands is still locked and the SR reader doesn't work! People still parking their bikes haphazardly.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Must be a bike shed! :)

Gonna have to do it Indian style and park em on the roof! :P

These have appeared on the roof of some

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:02 pm

jet-ski wrote:Maylands is still locked and the SR reader doesn't work! People still parking their bikes haphazardly.
Have you notified PTA about this? It's a new system so there will always be teething problems. They might not even know it is an issue.

Jim Krynen is the man you want to speak to.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Was enabled late last week.

moepower

Postby moepower » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 am

Hi,

I'm going to be cycling to Kwinana station and will report on the smart rider lock shelters soon.
As with me, I'm sure the added security will motivate more people to ride to the stations.

I must praise the excellent initiative of transperth.

Grev

Postby Grev » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 am

I was in Midland yesterday – only two bikes in the cage!

This wonderful initiative may not last. “Use it or lose it”.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 am

Saw a record 8 bikes in the Maylands cage earlier this week. It takes a while for people to realise they are there, and then they have to sign up with their smartrider - you are only allowed to sign up for one cage (so you can't sometimes park in the maylands one and sometimes in the midland one), and from the wording of the communications from Transperth it seems they only let a limited number sign up for each cage.

I think these restrictions will work against people using the cages. I also think that the late wintery weather is probably not helping the situation. There are less bikes in general at Maylands than this time last year.

As for use it or lose it - I don't think that any of the cages will be lost any time soon. Their patronage will slowly build with time. I'd like to see them allow you to sign up for more than one cage though!

moepower

Postby moepower » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:05 am

Hi all,

I just tested the bike shelter in Kwinana and it is fully operational.
As noted by others at other stations, the usage is pretty minimal so far. I parked my bike on Friday about midday and there were only 4 other bikes there. I returned home about 9 pm and there was only 1 other bike still there.

It's pretty simple to use; press the yellow button and then present your authorized smart rider card, then the electronic lock unlocks. The locks are pretty robust and the shelter is in an obvious location and also well lit at night (see photos).

The door is spring loaded so that it will shut under its own force.

Anyway, here are pictures of the bike shelter and smart rider reader for your interest.

I'm pretty satisfied and will keep using it.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:26 pm

jet-ski wrote:...you are only allowed to sign up for one cage (so you can't sometimes park in the maylands one and sometimes in the midland one), and from the wording of the communications from Transperth it seems they only let a limited number sign up for each cage.
Any idea what is the reasoning behind this policy?

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
jet-ski wrote:...you are only allowed to sign up for one cage (so you can't sometimes park in the maylands one and sometimes in the midland one), and from the wording of the communications from Transperth it seems they only let a limited number sign up for each cage.
Any idea what is the reasoning behind this policy?
A mate of mine was wanting to register for 2 for his commute from Midland to Mosman Park. He said he spoke to someone at TransPerv about it, and was told it was give applicants better chance of getting their "home" station as their preference. I can sort of see the reasoning, but I think they told him they could manually register him for the second one (depending on demand) and the policy may change as usage patterns emerge.

Not something that's really suitable for my commuting at present, but watching to see how successful take up is.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

mynastydrag

Postby mynastydrag » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:18 am

What an awesome idea! Although I'm sure they will be of high demand.. I hope they come up with some kind of bike park in the city area too.
Fear of having my bike stolen is the only reason I'm braving the freeway jams..

moepower

Postby moepower » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:36 am

Yeah, I haven't ridden in years. And I'm tired of driving to the station and not finding space to park my car. I only live a couple of k's away and it just never occurred to me all this time to ride my bike. That, and the lack of confidence to leave my bike at the station.. until now. As you say, it's early days and I'm betting bike shelter usage will increase quickly.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:05 pm

mynastydrag wrote:What an awesome idea! Although I'm sure they will be of high demand.. I hope they come up with some kind of bike park in the city area too.
Fear of having my bike stolen is the only reason I'm braving the freeway jams..
Already there - see Secure Parking in Perth CBD thread for info on the Elder St secure parking.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 pm

The Bayswater 'Lock n Ride' Shelter construction is now in progress. It is a bit tucked away, on the river side of the rail line sort of 'above' the underpass.

I saw a record number of 6 bikes in the Maylands Lock'n'Ride last week. It seems to be reducing the number of bikes locked up against the fence protruding on to the PSP which is a great thing! :D

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 pm

moepower wrote:Yeah, I haven't ridden in years. And I'm tired of driving to the station and not finding space to park my car. I only live a couple of k's away and it just never occurred to me all this time to ride my bike. That, and the lack of confidence to leave my bike at the station.. until now. As you say, it's early days and I'm betting bike shelter usage will increase quickly.
It is a great option, and you will get to park much closer to the station with your bike :)

moepower

Postby moepower » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:13 am

Yes, I am enjoying the easier access to the station, getting fitter as a result and saving fuel. The other day I saw 7 other bicycles in there, but I see another 5 or so locked around the station that for some reason or another have yet to use the shelters. May be they are awaiting registration for the shelters or don't see the need for them.

What worries me is they might start charging for the shelter usage. Let's hope not.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Nah, they don't charge for parking at most of these stations, so if they charged for the bike shelters, people would just stop using them again and go back to their cars. I wouldn't worry about it.

They will never get 100% of the bikes inside the shelters, at Cannington and some of the other bigger stations they have the shelters, and then U-bars outside of the shelters for the more casual user, or those who don't have smart riders, or those who want to park their bike at more than one station....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 am

Operational at Whitfords (one cage) and Greenwood (two cages). Below photo from Whitfords:

Photo taken mid-day, last Wednesday, and as shown in the photo, plenty of bikes.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:34 am

jet-ski wrote:They will never get 100% of the bikes inside the shelters

Particulary the extremely paranoid amongst us who refuse to register our smart riders and therefore have to use the Leetle Green Sheds instead
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ