Motorcycle on Kwinana PSP

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Motorcycle on Kwinana PSP

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:10 pm

RobertFrith wrote:Yesterday while doing the Audax Peel around Peel I saw 8 unlicensed trail bikes and one licensed scooter on the PSP all within a few k's of Thomas Road. I photographed a group of 4 who were stopped doing some repair and was assaulted for my trouble, made to delete the photo and given a lecture on "respect" of all things.

Reported it to the police, but by the time they got down there half an hour later the offenders had left. Sounds like the police are kept pretty busy on a Saturday evening in Kwinana as it is. They did also mention that they have had other formal reports of cyclists being assaulted.

The PSP is seen as a legitimate road by all these clowns and it's misuse is definitely on the rise. It seems to me that it's only a matter of time before someone is injured or killed. For the cops I think there's a bit of out of sight out of mind at present.

Pricks aren't they.

Remember those tossers who killed that lady on the P&O cruise a few years back? Their deleted pics got outed by simply recovering content that was "deleted" in the normal way that a FAT file system does. I was doingn it twenty five eyars ago and the only difference now is that the old software (such as Norton Utilities) is no good for usb drives.

The storage on your phone will most likely be FAT16. It can easily be recovered though with more use of the storage (ie more pics, etc) the chances of one getting truly wiped will increase.

Get to a techhead to do it. It is not at all difficult although I have not done it for a couple of decades. It will need a suitable undelete application and you will need to do it on a PC either by slotting in your SD Card or by connecting your phone to the PC in such a way that it shows up as a lettered drive. Afgain, some techy will understand.

It requires some fairly simple software, of wh ich there are probably free versions around. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filerecov ... ograms.htm
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 am

RobertFrith wrote:I'm fine, minor abrasion to my elbow. Plenty of people will tell me that I had this coming but I subscribe to the "bad things happen when good people do nothing" adage! Three more cyclists came past while the thugs were holding my phone to ransom, I asked the first to stop and wait with me as a witness which he did.
Good to hear you are okay. I did have a little "interaction" with one rider who turned around to come after me. As soon as I stopped and invited him to come on he backed off, gave me a salute and rode off. I guess he wasn't man enough on his own. The other one just rode flat out pass me ...

Andrew

lloydyboy

Postby lloydyboy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Soon after I started riding on the kwinana PSP, I went round the blind corner under the bridge before leach, as I went under the bridge a motorbike came flying the other way with 2 idiots on it cutting the corner and without exagerating the bike brushed my arm as it went by

I nearly cr**ped myself and they looked pretty shocked too, way too close!!! :shock:

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 am

Oh man that just plain scares me.

Some poor cyclist or ped IS going to get hurt, maimed or killed by this behavior. :( :(

if the police went and set up a few traps along the pathway one Saturday morn it will atleast plant the seed of doubt about getting caught into these unthinking people and hopefully reduce the frequency atleast. Maybe confiscate the bikes under the hoon laws.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:07 am

Giwi , the problem with this thought is that you will be tying up a vehicle and 2 officers for a shift of say 8 hours . But the main problem is who does the doughnut run ?
I would say somewhere near Gateways shops so they can do their "Hi we shop at Mc Donalds' run , and we all know Not to get get between a Pommie Coppa and his fast food crib :P

Cops are simply not interested , unless they ride themselves . Reason .... they are under staffed and over worked with paper chasing at the end of their shift and domestic bliss call outs .
"Can you please help , dad has been out and has a carton of domestic violence and has just given mum a Friday night touch up " or sit on a track all day with the hope of a motorized bike ... it would be advantageous to install CCV , but then again we have a Carbon tax that now needs our attention .
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 pm

This seems an appropriate thread to mention my only incident I suffered injury or damage to my bike.

Except!

One evening during the December silly season, well after sundown I was riding along the esplanade approacing what is now Sassys and the WA Rowing club when a motor bike came across the grass and seemingly onto the path with much laughing and carrying on.

I had a choice of being bumped over the river wall but that seemed no good so instead I veered off to the right over the bit of curbing and wound up on the gravel. The bike continued, probably oblivious that I was even there.

The rim was splayed out, the tube had snake eyes in it (holes) and my leg was bleeding quite heavily from substantial though only surface injury. I found a restaurant 500m away and made a call from there for my wife to pick me up.

In that time most riding was on arterial roads, St Georges and Adelaide Terrace and Canning highway with nary an injury or damage to my bike. Trucks fine. Buses fine. Taxi drivers so so. But a pair of partying twits on a motor bike just doesn't sound a worthy form of accident. :roll:

Lights on bikes have improved greatly since then and we have mobile phones now.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm

I saw 2 motorbikes during todays ride, both of them just south of Cockburn Central. First one with two indigenous lads heading north as I was heading south. Second one was heading south as I was on my way back. He must have been doing at least 70km/h :evil:

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:26 pm

There were a couple idiots getting onto the PSP at Canning Bridge this evening. I yelled out to them to get the F*#$ off the path but just got blank looks. I think it's about time the cops got bit proactive with this and did some good old fasion patrols up & down the PSP's Might help them burn off some of those donuts too! :) It's only a matter of time until someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Maybe we should organise some kind of petition or something to take to the Police to try to insight some action.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

sli123

Postby sli123 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Might be worthwhile for the authorities to set a couple of stealth cameras in the problem areas.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:57 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Recieved this in my email recently from the Town of Kwinana and thought it might be of interest given the issues with motorbikes and shared paths etc.

The Town of Kwinana is sending a strong message of zero tolerance to those who ride off road vehicles (unregistered trail bikes for example) illegally throughout the Kwinana community.

In the past three months alone, Town Rangers have attended over 90 illegal trail bike matters. In that time 12 infringements have been issued and 12 trail bikes impounded, the last of which was less than three days ago.

The most effective method of dealing with offenders is to locate their home residence, this allows for an accurate identification and follow-up investigation.

How can residents help?

Any information regarding a description of the vehicle and the home residence of the offenders can help Rangers and Police identify and prosecute these people who otherwise remain anonymous.

The Town offers a $500 reward initiative for information resulting in a successful prosecution in court. The more information we receive from concerned residents the more likely we are to be successful in locating and prosecuting offenders.

Anyone with information can contact the Town of Kwinana Rangers on 08 9439 0200.

Penalties

Modified penalties of a minimum of $50 per offence can be issued by Town of Kwinana Rangers. When combined, this can result in an on the spot penalty of more than $250, the off road vehicle may also be impounded.

Under the Control of Vehicle (Off-Road) Act 1978, Rangers also have the authority to prosecute offenders through court action, in which case heftier penalties and court costs may be incurred as well.

Offenders may also face prosecution by WA Police under the Road Traffic Act in which much larger penalties may be incurred as well as a criminal conviction being recorded.

Regards
Andrew
Gee won't that scare them :roll:

" Offenders may also face prosecution by WA Police under the Road Traffic Act in which much larger penalties may be incurred as well as a criminal conviction being recorded. "

What do they mean MAY? Is that when one of them kills someone? They should be jailed, after all isn't it reckless or dangerous driving and unlawful use of a motor vehicle? (I'm no lawyer)

And they expect us to do their bloody work for them, by following them to find out where they live. We may as well just carry a nice iron bar or baseball bat and finish it for them as well.

Graeme
Last edited by GraemeL on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 am

trailgumby wrote: they sound like a bunch of housing commission wasters.
I hope that statement was just a bad choice of words.

Just because people don't own a house or can't afford private rent and are living in Homes West housing, doesn't mean they are wasters.

Graeme

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 am

Graemet -

Excessively high fine do little to moderate behaviour in the direction intended. What does work is knowing that you have a high chance of being pinged. If the extra risk still has insufficient effect, THEN bulking up the penalties is gonna be effective.

The fine is an on-the-spot-fine. These are a blunt instrument able to applied by a officious employee with issues with their self-worth. No natural justice and so are seldom high. I would hazard a guess that $250 is fairly high for this sort of fine. There is the also the threat of losing the vehicle.

Jailing, - see my first paragraph. Besides, it costs mega money (mine and yours) to jail a person. Without the costs of the apprehension and the judicial process it takes the whole before tax income of three or four or five average people to keep a person in a cell block. Ouch. While we all transgress, we only call for jailing only for those offenses that we ourselves do not habitually carry out. :?

+1 on your response about homeswest tenants sterotypes. And atm even many with hope and prospects will likely not own any real estate without a set of parents with deep pockets (themselves a shrinking demographic). If I had been born fifty years later I suspect that I'd be in public housing. :(

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:54 am

Colin,
I agree with what your points, but there should not be any question about maybe losing the bike. it should be mandatory.
I was discussing it with the wife and what I think should be done to try and stop trail bikes and the like from entering bike paths.

Place fully fenced off, tighter bollards on the bike paths. Because these paths are so long and some places are without fencing etc, these should be at intervals (50-100 yards) to discourage trail bikes. After all is they can't go far before they have to try and get their bikes through around or over, they will soon get sick of it. This will also help with the few cyclists that like to hammer along and put other path users at risk. I also feel these types of bollards should be installed at all underpasses, this would also help to prevent careless riders that come through on the wrong side.

I wonder what sort of fine/charges I would get if I drove my car down those paths or on footpaths. I suspect it would be more than $250 on the spot.

Graeme

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

gave this to the local plod...... sadly unable to identify the young man (no plates on the bike)

"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:21 pm

GraemeL wrote:Colin,
I agree with what your points, but there should not be any question about maybe losing the bike. it should be mandatory.
I was discussing it with the wife and what I think should be done to try and stop trail bikes and the like from entering bike paths.

Place fully fenced off, tighter bollards on the bike paths. Because these paths are so long and some places are without fencing etc, these should be at intervals (50-100 yards) to discourage trail bikes. After all is they can't go far before they have to try and get their bikes through around or over, they will soon get sick of it. This will also help with the few cyclists that like to hammer along and put other path users at risk. I also feel these types of bollards should be installed at all underpasses, this would also help to prevent careless riders that come through on the wrong side.

I wonder what sort of fine/charges I would get if I drove my car down those paths or on footpaths. I suspect it would be more than $250 on the spot.

Graeme
We do NOT want tighter bollards in random places on the path though - they are a real pain in the bum for people on bent trikes, towing trailers etc

Also, the part of the path we are talking about is generally only used by people who can push at 30kph or so on the flat - otherwise it would take them forever to get anywhere - I have spent a lot of time on that path of late and there are hardly any peds to speak of, if that is what your concern is. It's hardly a scenic route.

I would prefer to share with scooters and trail bikes than have bollards everywhere.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm

chuckchunder wrote:gave this to the local plod...... sadly unable to identify the young man (no plates on the bike)

Where is this?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:51 pm

jet-ski wrote:We do NOT want tighter bollards in random places on the path though - they are a real pain in the bum for people on bent trikes, towing trailers etc

I would prefer to share with scooters and trail bikes than have bollards everywhere.
I can recall when the town engineers across the city were experimenting with the early paths and bollards were all over the place, and in particular featuring bollard doublets set just inside the path edges which funneled approaching riders towards each other!!! They learnt from their mistakes and got rid of them or replaced them with triplets. (Are there any of the doublets still around in Perth?)

Agreed, restrictive bollards are harder to live with and probably more dangerous than the occasional hoon on a motor bike.
Oxford wrote:Brisbane City Council abolished bollards on paths and went with the banana bars due to a death involving bollards and a cyclist.
Ox, I am hazarding a guess in my mind but what are banana bars?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
chuckchunder wrote:gave this to the local plod...... sadly unable to identify the young man (no plates on the bike)

Where is this?
Looks like Roe Hwy PSP to me, I know chuckchunder rides his trike along there as I pass him on the way home sometimes :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Yep, Roe Hwy PSP, just east of the Spencer Rd flyover. See plenty of trail bikes/scooters/motorised pushies around there (two have ridden past my place as i type), but most of them are wearing full face helmets or other face coverings.........
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

gazman

Postby gazman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:46 pm

If the Plod Service was keen they could enquire at a local secondary school to get some clue as to the rider's identity :?:

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:36 pm

gazman wrote:If the Plod Service was keen they could enquire at a local secondary school to get some clue as to the rider's identity :?:
it would seem that there is a lot they could be doing, but choose not to. They could be out along the paths to catch these idiots. It seems to always take a fatality or severe injury before they do anything. I wonder what the legalities would be if there were a lot of complaints made to the police and they failed to act on them and there was a fatalitiy.
Graeme

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 pm

you know, I've done a variety of jobs in my life, some better paid and with more responsibility than others.
currently I maintain school buildings on a surprisingly low wage, and am quite happy to be doing it. What has always surprised me in all my jobs is how easy my job is for other people. They seem to be able to to do my job way more quickly and with a much better result than I have ever been able to. A workmate of mine has a saying (english is his second language) -

job is always easy, with your tongue......

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 am

GraemeL wrote:
gazman wrote:If the Plod Service was keen they could enquire at a local secondary school to get some clue as to the rider's identity :?:
it would seem that there is a lot they could be doing, but choose not to. They could be out along the paths to catch these idiots. It seems to always take a fatality or severe injury before they do anything. I wonder what the legalities would be if there were a lot of complaints made to the police and they failed to act on them and there was a fatalitiy.
Graeme
If by that you are wondering if they can be help personally or criminally responsible I doubt it. And I would not want it. I, you and the rest decide in a round-a-bout way, how many police we have and the restrictions under which they must operate. And that largely determines how much attention complaints are given. A case for culpability could be made just as (un)fairly against you and I.

Police get no shortage of complaints. They have the un-envious task of choosing which needy complaints have to be left unattended. (Granted, that there are some crappy cops though.)

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 am

There are lazy cops just like there are other lazy workers.
My comments were directed at the police force and those that run it. There have been a posts on here that would suggest the police could have done more but chose not to. Try running a stop sign or something similar in front of a cop and you will be dealt with. Try reporting aggressive or dangerous drivers and chances are not a lot will happen, get run over and then something might get done.

Graeme

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:18 am

Perhaps then we're going about this wrong, perhaps we should be promoting this to the cops as opportunities for mobile target taser practice.