Motorcycle on Kwinana PSP

Aushiker

Re: Motorcycle on Kwinana PSP

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi

The Police could easily patrol the PSP on their motorbikes if they so wished as part of normal patrol duties. They did this on the PSP running past the Claremont Showgrounds this year. I know because they pulled on to the path just after I went past. They had their lights flashing ... I expected to be pulled up for something but instead out rode them :)

Andrew

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:33 pm

I was riding up the Kwinana PSP a couple of weekends ago and a scooter came flying past me near Anketell Road. On my rturn trip I saw a Plod wlking along the path around rowley road, Maybe someone had called them but by that time the scooter was long gone. I think some surveilance cameras at the under passes would be a great idea or at the very least some regular patrols on foot or as said before on their motorbikes.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:40 pm

leave a trail of donuts , Hansel and Gretal style along the pathway ... once plod gets dirt sprayed over them by a m/bike he will act :P

Not enough people have died , no Members of Parliament have been affected .... or put McDonalds and HJ'S drive thru along the pathway
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Another option here in Cockburn is CoSafe, if the police aren't giving much help:
http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/Community ... efault.asp

Since I live in South Lake right near the PSP, I'm in dirt bike central. I've seen the CoSafe guys out here multiple times looking for the dirt bikes on the weekends, so they do respond, and I think pretty quickly

fixed

Postby fixed » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Clubagreenie wrote:(snip)
Not enough people have died , no Members of Parliament have been affected .... or put McDonalds and HJ'S drive thru along the pathway
We...eeelll, I know of at least one MP who regularly rides to Parliament who has made complaints to police regarding motorbikes and scooters on PSP's.
Trouble is its an opportunistic event/transgression, even with a 15 police minutes response time the motorbike is long gone.

Do you have any real answers?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:30 pm

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs. Unfortunately I think all this thread really serves to do is provide a venting channel. It's just a place for our side of the argument to get together and bitch. I try not to read it too often :(

No amount of camera phones or bike mounted video cameras are really going to help without follow up evidence, corroboration and identification especially where nine out of ten these vehicles are unregistered or the license plate not visible.

The only thing I can think of is maybe rather than the Rangers and or Police responding to reports, they need to stage some sort of coordinated crackdown with the occasional sting being staged with Officers being hidden at key points along certain stretches. Probably all sorts of minefields with this idea though - no doubt with some offenders trying to escape off onto the Freeway and risking even more catastrophic injury to themselves and innocent road users.

It's a real toughie.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:12 am

I don't find myself on the Kwinan Freeway PSP too often but it seems every second time I do there's some kid on a motorbike. This afternoon at 3pm there was one hurtling along heading north just south of Canning Bridge. Unlicenced, no helmet. I stopped to call plod. Seems he was try to find his mates who were fishing as he came back a couple minutes later and pulled up by the river next to couple of blokes who'd arrived one on foot and one on a BSO.

I went over to take his picture. Got a lecture about privacy and respect from his loser friends. The really interesting thing was that they managed to hear enough of what I said to object to my characterisation of the motorbike riding as illegal. "No it isn't, anyone can ride here!" They honestly believe they're within their rights to blast along a PSP on a trailie.

youth in question;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:03 am

Reported one to the police a couple of weeks ago. Managed to get a photo of the license plate number and also showed that that the motorbike was being ridden on the shared path. Heard back last Friday that the rider had been spoken to.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 am

Seen a few offroad bikes on the Kwinana and Roe paths however nothing beats meeting a fullsized Harley coming the other way on a path in Belmont this weekend.

As to the general motorbike sightings IMHO perhaps we should consider only going after those who speed, who tear up soil onto the path or cut corners? I've seen enough motorbikes on the Kwinana PSP to know that they have the same issue as us, a dirty great big freeway cutting across the landscape, the PSP is the conduit to get around and as long as they take it civil I'll put up with them, even wave as they pass. Yes there needs to be an education process, they need to know where they can travel, but it won't make the problem go away. Unless someone wants to built popular trail bike areas near the PSP with their own trails alongside the PSP for access? Ain't going to happen. That's the civil ones, the rest we burn.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:22 am

South bound about 5.45 am this morning on PSP near Roe Hwy saw a bloke on a scooter.
Tried to kick him off, and managed to force him on the sand, but unfortunately he didn't come off.
I was looking to administer a beat down which would have made my Valentine's Day! LOL
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:...As to the general motorbike sightings IMHO perhaps we should consider only going after those who speed, who tear up soil onto the path or cut corners? I've seen enough motorbikes on the Kwinana PSP to know that they have the same issue as us, a dirty great big freeway cutting across the landscape, the PSP is the conduit to get around and as long as they take it civil I'll put up with them, even wave as they pass. Yes there needs to be an education process, they need to know where they can travel, but it won't make the problem go away. Unless someone wants to built popular trail bike areas near the PSP with their own trails alongside the PSP for access? Ain't going to happen. That's the civil ones, the rest we burn.
That sounds like a sensible approach.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 am

Not really - motorbikes and other rego paying vehicles are fully entitled to use the freeway, and shouldn't ever use the PSP, regardless of the speed they're doing.
Here's an example - Where my friend lives, the council have put a bloody big island in the middle of the road so I can't turn right in to his street (God knows why), so I'm forced to drive further up the road, and make a turn, them come back down the road and turn in his street.

I'm frustrated for sure, so is he, but that doesn't mean I can drive my car or bike over the island, or take a short cut down the cycle path to get to his house.
I do get what you mean in a way mate - but the simple fact is, once you start saying 'a scooter is ok, or a trail bike is ok' where do we draw the line?
There's enough loonies out there without giving motored vehicles the green light to use a pedestrian and cycle way!

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm

MarkG wrote:There's enough loonies out there without giving motored vehicles the green light to use a pedestrian and cycle way!
There's a guy that is always walking along the PSP around Cockburn in the afternoons carrying a wooden stick with what looks like a BMX Handle bar grip on one end. He might be keen to give the motorbikes a bit of a whack as they go past.

I had a scooter go past me on Friday afternoon around 2-3pm was going to report them but can't due to the 40degree heat remember what the license was exactly something like "1FF 166"..

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 pm

I see a few old timers walking with German Shepards off their leash around Murdoch and they scare the crap outta me!!

RollerBird

Postby RollerBird » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 pm

rolandp wrote:the rider had been spoken to.
As usual it won't be policed seriously until a particularly tragic incident occurs or a statistically significant number of incidents.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

rolandp wrote:Reported one to the police a couple of weeks ago. Managed to get a photo of the license plate number and also showed that that the motorbike was being ridden on the shared path. Heard back last Friday that the rider had been spoken to.
Good news.

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

MarkG wrote:South bound about 5.45 am this morning on PSP near Roe Hwy saw a bloke on a scooter.
Tried to kick him off, and managed to force him on the sand, but unfortunately he didn't come off.
I was looking to administer a beat down which would have made my Valentine's Day! LOL
I am hoping that you are being facetious.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 am

Encountered two petrol power assisted pedal cycle (papc) on the Mitchell Fway PSP this evening. It was one of those purchase a petrol engine off e-bay and strap it to a bike shaped object. To be compliant with the latest changes to the Road Traffic Code they must have a maximum power output of 200 watts which restricts maximum spped capacity to approx. 25km/h (source Transport). They were on the flat doing around 30km/h with-out pedalling. By the looks of them, they needed to be pedalling to get some health benifits.

I just shake my head, there is not much else one can do as they don't have licence plates and in this case they were wearing motorbike helments which covered their face so not much chance to report anything.

In relation to an earlier comment about allowing motorbikes on the PSP, no-way. There are already too many cyclists and pedesdrians trying to compete with the shared path, why introduce an additional form of traffic to the PSP. In addition, the condition that the PSP is in at this time, adding a vechile weighing in excess of 100kg (plus the rider), the PSP will quickly turn into an even more of a mess than it is at this time, with additional cracks/potholes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:58 am

rolandp wrote:I just shake my head, there is not much else one can do as they don't have licence plates and in this case they were wearing motorbike helments which covered their face so not much chance to report anything..
I came across one guy on a similar bike with full faced off-road helmet, blue singlet etc at Karrinyup Road lights this evening. Maybe one of your mates?

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 am

I think in the Transport amendments the 200W assist refers to electric and not petrol powered cycles.
John

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am

GraemeL wrote:
gazman wrote:If the Plod Service was keen they could enquire at a local secondary school to get some clue as to the rider's identity :?:
it would seem that there is a lot they could be doing, but choose not to. They could be out along the paths to catch these idiots. It seems to always take a fatality or severe injury before they do anything. I wonder what the legalities would be if there were a lot of complaints made to the police and they failed to act on them and there was a fatalitiy.
Graeme
If the fatality is one of the morons then I have no problem with the cops doing nothing about it.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
MarkG wrote:South bound about 5.45 am this morning on PSP near Roe Hwy saw a bloke on a scooter.
And I hope you wear your helmet in future.
Not safe out there.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:02 am

MarkG wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
And I hope you wear your helmet in future.
Not safe out there.
???
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

filpee

Postby filpee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Often see a moped heading over the freeway foot bridge (AT) Osborne Park (the one at the end of King Edward Street).
Have yet to be lucky enough to catch his number plate.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:59 pm

filpee wrote:Often see a moped heading over the freeway foot bridge (AT) Osborne Park (the one at the end of King Edward Street).
Have yet to be lucky enough to catch his number plate.
Even the Auspost Posties use that bridge.