Lake Monger Shared Path Gets a Make Over

Aushiker

Lake Monger Shared Path Gets a Make Over

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 10, 2011 9:11 am

Hi

The Town of Vincent has announced that they will be shortly (if not already started) replacing two sections of the existing shared path around the Lake Monger. This is part of the shared path staged replacement program for Lake Monger Reserve and works which are intended to improving user safety and fauna habitats.

More details including a link to the plan can be found here.

Andrew

rolandp

Re: Lake Monger Shared Path Gets a Make Over

Postby rolandp » Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.

Close to this location, over the last two days Main Roads (I think it is them) have been patching the PSP on the east side of the freeway near Bourke St, Leederville.

I think it is patch work rather than total replacement. I took the below image which shows the type of cracks which may be replaced, but as there is an area patched recently just meters away (shown in top left of the image), this type of crack may go unrepaired.

This area was patched around 12 months ago, so currently it is an annual task.

redned

Postby redned » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

WRT Bourke St: while I appreciate their efforts, some of the repairs are like speed bumps. They need to get out the heavy roller.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:56 pm

rolandp wrote:Thanks for the heads up Andrew.

Close to this location, over the last two days Main Roads (I think it is them) have been patching the PSP on the east side of the freeway near Bourke St, Leederville.

I think it is patch work rather than total replacement. I took the below image which shows the type of cracks which may be replaced, but as there is an area patched recently just meters away (shown in top left of the image), this type of crack may go unrepaired.

This area was patched around 12 months ago, so currently it is an annual task.
Any idea what is causing these cracks? Surely it's not bicycle use.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri May 13, 2011 12:39 am

Area looks like it is now complete, given that there was no crews there this morning when I went through. There are still several cracks in the area (ie the one shown earlier..

Becker, in answering your question, it is either tree routes and/or not enough foundation. It happens a lot on the Northern section. Below image is from Mar 2010, just north of Karrinyup Rd, where the same treatment occured then:
This area is also ready for a revisit as several of the areas have again developed cracks.

Couldn't quickly locate any images, but the Leedervile area was also patched around March-April 2010, so it is now an annual task.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:52 am

Yeah I'm familiar with the section near Karrinyup rd shown in the pic. I agree with the earlier poster they are mini speed humps. I don't see whats so hard about leveling them off. It almost seems like they are instructed to make them like that.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Not the Lake Monger side, but the eastern side PSP near Leederville Tennis Club had a section resurfaced today

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:00 pm

nachoman wrote:Not the Lake Monger side, but the eastern side PSP near Leederville Tennis Club had a section resurfaced today
Strava Segment needs renaming- The not so bouncy bumps

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Posters and electronic sign up today indicating the Lake Monger PSP on the western side of the freeway is being closed between 6th Dec to 20th Dec to allow 600m of path to be resurfaced. The posters ask pedestrians to use the nature trail footpath and for cyclists to dismount when using the footpath...

dampier

Postby dampier » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 am

The path is now open, now very wide. Wish they were all this wide.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Multicoloured dot markings have appeared on the Lake Monger shared path in the last few days. I guess these are for new lighting to be installed as per the council site, which will be a good outcome:
• $55,000 to complete the installation of the lights in stages 1 and 2 along the shared path on the west side of the Lake, under an existing contract which commenced in 2013/2014 and a total of 40 lights are to be installed; and
• $294,000 to supply and install 64 security lights in stages 3 and 4 along the shared path on the east side of the Lake and is part of this report recommendation for Tender RFT 21-14

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Two cyclists collided at the intersection on the Lake Monger path this morning. One was an older woman that possibly resulted in a bad shoulder/collarbone injury.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ZtgAVohh9L2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (the intersection here beyond the gates closest to the water)

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:05 am

Lake Monger shared path closed this morning. Looked like tree lopping taking place. Emergency works ? No advance warning or detour signs posted.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Saw an Ambulance and what looked like a broken bike on the PSP this afternoon at this location (eastern side, near the soccer club carpark), hope the rider is ok.
https://goo.gl/maps/uXE2hdexGQR2

Unrelated but this is also the location where a personal trainer was using the PSP to run his group fitness sessions a couple of months ago.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Another large tree fell down across the Lake Monger shared path (western side) last week. It was down Friday afternoon and this morning it was still being cleared.

From Friday:

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:59 am

Big tree down on the eastern side near Britannia Road Reserve, has been reported.

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:41 am

There have been a few of them in the area lately.

dampier

Postby dampier » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm

The path on the east side of Lake Monger, from the bridge crossover south is closed. They appear to be doing cement works to the path. Not sure how long it will be out for.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:06 pm

A couple of changes in the past month

The path on the southern end that links up with Vincent St near the freeway onramp was relaid with a nice wide section. For the past couple of months traffic cones were deployed where root damage had made half of the path unusable. Also nice for Town of Cambridge to post advance notification of the work the week before.

Also at the northern end of the path it now connects directly to the Powis St path. Previously the Town of Cambridge were hesitant to connect this section as it would encourage commuter cyclists on the Lake Monger path.