Scooter watch

RollerBird

Re: Scooter watch

Postby RollerBird » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:47 pm

My closest experience with a trail bike was on the Great Eastern Highway bike path in Guildford, I could hear it coming but thought it was on the road til it suddenly appeared on the grass to the side of the path and violently cut in front of me at speed to make the upcoming bridge before I did. It all happened faster than I had time to think and left me a bit shaken.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 am

What is it with me and scooters.
This was on the way home tonight along Berrigan drive approaching North Lake Rd intersection

I got a partial number plate 335 and I think it is 1EE-335 as I yelled it out as well :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

wce

Postby wce » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:32 am

Last week between Thomas road and Safety Bay road on bike path a trail bike with two riders came up behind me and the passenger gave me a hefty whack on back as they went past, they kept about 100 metres in front of me for a while doing a couple of burnouts spreading sand onto path, no ID on the bike. i gave them the bird and they rode off. About 5 minutes later they came up again behind me (must have gone off into bush and circled back) and flew past really close.I immediately got off bike and got wife to call Kwinana council rangers, (wife works at rockingham council). They said they would investigate but have not heard anything since.
Kept riding and stopped a couple of riders going opposite way to warn them, they informed me that they had also been hassled, one was quite an elderly gentleman. This is a bit concerning as i know a few women who ride this stretch of bike path alone and as you may know it is not very busy.
Not sure what can be done about young morons like this.
Also last week i was driving home after day shift at around 1730 and on the corner of Thomas road and Rockingham road ( the entrance to Kwinana) two trail bike riders in full view of all traffic were ripping up the grassed area and ripping up all the mulch around the trees. I feel sorry for the council as Im sure that the trail bike riders would just race away if confronted and would not be caught.
i wonder what goes through their minds at times.
Anyway i had a great afternoon today on perth foreshore test riding the new specialized Venge, Tarmac and Roubaix. very impressive bikes
Image.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Article I just found in the Canning Times http://canning.inmycommunity.com.au/new ... s/7609632/
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Spotted on Roe Hwy PSP, red scooter heading towards Kwinana Fwy around kenwick area. I was in car when I spotted him.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Passed a guy driving his motorised scooter southbound on the Mitchell Fwy PSP this morning near Britannia Reserve Leederville. I didn't think to make note of his numberplate, but he was going slower than most bicycles.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sun May 10, 2015 2:35 am

redned wrote:Nick:My experience at Telford Cres/Mitchell Freeway was the sccoter entering the PSP and crossing the freeway footbridge. I had to brake hard to avoid him. Illegal, dangerous.
the postie crosses this bridge every day, any thoughts on that?

Hugor

Postby Hugor » Sun May 10, 2015 11:12 am

I see this guy all the time around East Perth & Maylands. He even rides on the cycle path along Roe St Northbridge.
I've had words with him with no effect. Nobody seems keen on prosecuting these people.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun May 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Well, I don't think citizen's arrest would be valid under the circumstances so I wouldn't recommend stopping him as technically that puts you outside the law in this instance and you could get into trouble if he is detained/delayed. If you need to stop him, then the best you could do would be to identify where he lives and send the details through to the police.

I don't think it's that Police won't prosecute or that they're not keen to prosecute - I think you'll find that it's more a case of them not being able to locate him. Pictures are great evidence and all for a prosecution, but that doesn't help the police work out where he lives, and short of being able to predict his exact position and location at a time they can be there ( within 5 to 10 minutes ) you're not likely to get much help from them - Police won't wait around for hours in the hopes of him showing up, especially when he isn't much of a danger to anyone else or even himself.

However if there's specific information ( identity, place of residence, etc ) they will act.

David.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Sun May 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Hugor wrote:I see this guy all the time around East Perth & Maylands. He even rides on the cycle path along Roe St Northbridge.
I've had words with him with no effect. Nobody seems keen on prosecuting these people.
How fast does that thing go? It dosnt look like it would go as fast as a scooter or postie bike.
As far as I am aware it is legal for the postie bike to ride on cycleways, PSP's and footpaths. The posties bikes can go faster than the 50cc scooters (not that they would on a PSP) But they dont muck about either. The PSP bridge at telford cresent is always used by the posties bike. and no it is not for peds only. This bridge is like the camboon road freeway overpass, Alot of factory workers use it as a quick exit from the industrial suburb. As long as done carefully I dont see a problem, especially as it is perfectly legal for the postie to do it.This guy looks (I could be wrong) like he keeping left and riding at a moderate pace. I totally understand the complaints about motorcross bikes; and slapping people on the back is assault in my mind. But it appears a little harsh here? Maybe cut the guy some slack.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun May 10, 2015 7:45 pm

rustguard asked
Whilst it's true that Australia Post motorcycles are permitted to ride on footpaths, which would include shared paths, there are restrictions. Regulation 253 (2) (h) of the Road Traffic Code 2000 only provides an exemption for a postal motorbike if the path is less than 100m from the next delivery point (i) and at a speed not exceeding 10 km/h (iii).

It would seem from the above that a postie riding a motorbike across the Telford/King Edward bridge would very likely breach reg 253 (2) (h) (i) as the minimum path length travelled would be at least 150m and, in any event, should do so at less than 10 km/h. Certainly something Australia Post need to account for in scheduling any delivery routes in this area.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun May 10, 2015 7:58 pm

It's worth noting that an Australia Post motorcycle would not be permitted on any PSP because there are no delivery points along them and the ability to go fast is irrelevant given they are limited to 10 km/h on any path.

Of cause an Australia Post power assisted bicycle would have no such problem and would be allowed on the bridge and any PSP at a safe speed which, ironically, would be faster than a motorbike as it would not rely on the exemption so could ride at the normal speeds a PAPC is capable of.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun May 10, 2015 10:57 pm

rustguard wrote:I totally understand the complaints about motorcross bikes; and slapping people on the back is assault in my mind. But it appears a little harsh here? Maybe cut the guy some slack.
In a similar vein I'm less concerned about the cautious trailbikers who have to pop along the Kwinana PSP for a bit to get to their offroad tracks than I am about that guy who tears down the path every evening towards Kwinana. However cutting a little slack or turning a blind eye makes me responsible for the consequences whether that be the easygoing scooter rider causing horrific injuries to a cyclist, more than would occur with a bike-on-bike accident simply because the scooter is far heavier, or the easygoing scooter rider encourages more scooter, trailbiker and overcharged PAPC vehicles onto the path, or other nasty outcomes. If you start a fire you are responsible for how it burns.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 am

Hugor wrote:I see this guy all the time around East Perth & Maylands. He even rides on the cycle path along Roe St Northbridge.

Be patient and wait until his DUI suspension ends and you won't see him again.
Hopefully his experience on two wheels will colour his future attitudes to other road users.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 am

Or he just keeps using the paths now because he has a Vespa'd interest?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 am

Hmm, last night, I had to dodge a trailbike with two kids on it, no license, tearing across a bicycle bridge as I went home. The thing is, most of the people in my area probably think I'm about the same as them. We both have motorized two-wheeled vehicles - mine's a bicycle and theirs is a motorcycle. The problem is that everything I do in the area is coloured by what the illegal riders do, and if they cause enough trouble then the politicians will end up introducing legislation that affects only the legal riders.

And then just yesterday afternoon, I overhear two late teens talking about whether to go for 1KW or 2KW electric motors on their bicycles. So I chat to them and point out they can go legal and they say there's no point in that, because police can't tell what they are riding anyway. I ask what they'd do in an accident and they say they'd just make the bike disappear. :( - Again, not something that helps the community.

So when I originally saw the pictures of the old guy on a small scooter, I thought it can't be very fast, not causing anyone trouble, why bother about him?

But then I thought about it, and the problem is any accidents these guys have will be reported very badly and will affect us negatively. We have a lot of freedoms on cycles here in WA that they don't have in other states. There are strong attitudes within the community to limit our speeds to 10kph or 20kph on paths, to push us onto paths, and to prosecute us every time we do something like cut from road to path, path to road, not to mention stopping us from swerving out when we notice drains and the like.

I think we all have a need to promote lawful riding and protecting the freedoms we do have as well as pushing for greater rights. People who flout the law so openly do grate against other commuters and pedestrians, do so illegally and there's no law you can pass to stop someone who is already doing something illegally.

David.

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 am

Anyone know the guy who commutes from SOR on the black beach cruiser with the big swept back hangers? I see him passing Cockburn Stn in the mornings when I train to work and he's passed me at various points on the PSP when I ride.

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am

cray- wrote:Anyone know the guy who commutes from SOR on the black beach cruiser with the big swept back hangers? I see him passing Cockburn Stn in the mornings when I train to work and he's passed me at various points on the PSP when I ride.

I don't know him but i got passed by him on Friday. No problem with that but I reckon he needs a big handlebar moustache to complete the look! :D

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Yeah no hate here so long as he rides responsibility. I'm actually keen to know about his bike, wouldn't mind something similar.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 11, 2015 12:52 pm

cj7hawk wrote:Hmm, last night, I had to dodge a trailbike with two kids on it, no license, tearing across a bicycle bridge as I went home. The thing is, most of the people in my area probably think I'm about the same as them. We both have motorized two-wheeled vehicles - mine's a bicycle and theirs is a motorcycle. The problem is that everything I do in the area is coloured by what the illegal riders do, and if they cause enough trouble then the politicians will end up introducing legislation that affects only the legal riders.

And then just yesterday afternoon, I overhear two late teens talking about whether to go for 1KW or 2KW electric motors on their bicycles. So I chat to them and point out they can go legal and they say there's no point in that, because police can't tell what they are riding anyway. I ask what they'd do in an accident and they say they'd just make the bike disappear. :( - Again, not something that helps the community.

So when I originally saw the pictures of the old guy on a small scooter, I thought it can't be very fast, not causing anyone trouble, why bother about him?

But then I thought about it, and the problem is any accidents these guys have will be reported very badly and will affect us negatively. We have a lot of freedoms on cycles here in WA that they don't have in other states. There are strong attitudes within the community to limit our speeds to 10kph or 20kph on paths, to push us onto paths, and to prosecute us every time we do something like cut from road to path, path to road, not to mention stopping us from swerving out when we notice drains and the like.

I think we all have a need to promote lawful riding and protecting the freedoms we do have as well as pushing for greater rights. People who flout the law so openly do grate against other commuters and pedestrians, do so illegally and there's no law you can pass to stop someone who is already doing something illegally.

David.
Some fair points there.
I think experience with road behaviour enforcement shows that police and legislators are committed to pursuing whatever is easiest to prosecute, not necessarily what is actually dangerous, e.g. speed cameras vs everything else, pinging people for using a phone while in stationary traffic at a red light and so on. It's more like that if it comes to a head, power assisted bikes get banned completely rather than actually enforcing the current rules.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 11, 2015 1:50 pm

You guys are no fun. What happened to the aimless anecdotal bitching and gadget flexing?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon May 11, 2015 2:52 pm

wellington_street wrote:
cj7hawk wrote:Hmm, last night, I had to dodge a trailbike with two kids on it, no license, tearing across a bicycle bridge as I went home. The thing is, most of the people in my area probably think I'm about the same as them. We both have motorized two-wheeled vehicles - mine's a bicycle and theirs is a motorcycle. The problem is that everything I do in the area is coloured by what the illegal riders do, and if they cause enough trouble then the politicians will end up introducing legislation that affects only the legal riders.

David.
Some fair points there.
I think experience with road behaviour enforcement shows that police and legislators are committed to pursuing whatever is easiest to prosecute, not necessarily what is actually dangerous, e.g. speed cameras vs everything else, pinging people for using a phone while in stationary traffic at a red light and so on. It's more like that if it comes to a head, power assisted bikes get banned completely rather than actually enforcing the current rules.
It's a bit worse than that - instead of banning power-assisted bikes, they'll just start doing stuff like setting blanket speed limits for all bicycles - eg 20kph on bike paths. It's not the guilty who are punished, and there are political reasons why they can't ban powered bicycles. It's a little easier to hate on petrol and ban that, but electrics are a protected species. Easier to blame normal cyclists than to blame electrics.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, you start to see every problem as a nail. The only tool police have is radar guns, and after all that work quite acceptably on cyclists, and are legally calibrated. It doesn't take much imagination to see where that line will take us.

Ref: Sydney - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6839969418
Ref: Melbourne - http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/whats ... 1yw89.html
Ref: Brisbane - http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 1bpej.html and http://bicyclecouncil.com.au/files/rese ... dPaths.pdf
Ref: Darwin - http://www.bicyclent.org.au/cycling-in- ... oad-rules/ - 20 kph limit already in effect.
Ref: Hobart - Still fairly bike friendly.
Ref: Adelaide - http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 6759397113

And, of course, Perth. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-01/c ... hs/5359402

No mention of electic powered cycles there at all - it's all seen as a "cycling" problem and it's the normal cyclists who are blamed in all cases. I've picked responses there in the past 5 years, but there's articles like those in every year.

Regards
David.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Yes, blanket speed limits are just moronic and I was pretty happy to see the Minister rule them out when asked the question last week.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Mon May 11, 2015 7:55 pm

citywomble wrote:rustguard asked
Whilst it's true that Australia Post motorcycles are permitted to ride on footpaths, which would include shared paths, there are restrictions. Regulation 253 (2) (h) of the Road Traffic Code 2000 only provides an exemption for a postal motorbike if the path is less than 100m from the next delivery point (i) and at a speed not exceeding 10 km/h (iii).

It would seem from the above that a postie riding a motorbike across the Telford/King Edward bridge would very likely breach reg 253 (2) (h) (i) as the minimum path length travelled would be at least 150m and, in any event, should do so at less than 10 km/h. Certainly something Australia Post need to account for in scheduling any delivery routes in this area.
I light of this new evidence I retract my former statement realising that what I saw was just a red and yellow plastic bag blowing accross the bridge. I have in no way ever seen a postal worker anywhere in the vicinity of that area.