Coastal RSP at Scarborough

citywomble

Coastal RSP at Scarborough

Postby citywomble » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 am

Heads Up.

Some modifications are being made to the Recreational Shared Path (RSP) where it enters the car park at Scarborough Beach (southbound from West Coast Highway path).

The Shared Path is being diverted onto the road to enable and encourage fast cyclists to use The Esplanade between the northern car park end and Brighton Road. This has been enabled by the reopening of the clocktower roundabout to full north and south function for all vehicles and, subject to Main Roads WA approval, will include bike markings along the route. The Esplanade is within the traffic calmed 30kph area, which includes all roads west of West Coast Highway, but allows cyclists to maintain Primary position throughout

Cyclists, particularly inexperienced children and families, will still be able to utilize the original RSP route past the amphitheater, children's playground and grassed activity area but at a slower 10kph.

Subject to weather, kerbing to the diversion will be installed tomorrow (Wednesday 22 June) and red asphalt on Thursday. Please be careful when using the revised layout and follow any traffic management and diversions while the works are being carried out.

You may also have noticed that 10 new bike rails have been installed adjacent to the clocktower roundabout providing parking for 20 bikes. In line with the City's developing cycling strategy these are located in highly visible locations for security and in a prime position which is superior and closer to the facilities than car parking spaces.

Finally the Z bend on the RSP, with conflicting rails, at the boat ramp from Clarko reserve car park at Trigg Island is being realigned to remove what is a dangerous and conflicting arrangement. The RSP will be straightened and the obstructions removed as well as reinforcing priority of the shared path over crossing vehicles. These works should commence next week (W/C Monday 27 June).

michaelp7757

Re: Coastal RSP at Scarborough

Postby michaelp7757 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:25 am

As a City Of Stirling rate payer this is music to the ears.

Great to see some real action to improve a problem area for both cyclists & pedestrains.

With the recent re-surfacing of the PSP south of Brighton & this upgrade I will be training around here more often. :D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am

Hi CityWomble, any chance that City of Stirling can turn on the lights on the RSP near the Children's Play Ground. Reported by NeatStreets 2 weeks ago?
http://www.neatstreets.com.au/Report/10004175

Are we also able to get a route map of your suggested route? I have noticed the development work occuring at the northern section (thanks for pulling up the original path yesterday, very bumpy and the darkness didn't help to alert the users that this had occured) and personally I'm unclear how this would be used as getting to this location from the south used to mean that you had to travel over a footpath unless additional car-park access has been re-opened.

We have noticed the 10 new bike racks, forum members have been tracking the Local Government Grants. Are you able to confirm if the light pole installed next to the new bike racks is new or not. It is located about 1m out from the side of the road, and reduces the effective width of the RSP along this section.

Thanks for the head-ups and getting the new route organised as the RSP near the childrens playground was hairy with lots of young foot traffic, even at slow cycling speeds.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 am

I ride throught there every day this sounds good on paper I'll be interested to see what happens.

MM

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:18 pm

citywomble wrote:The Shared Path is being diverted onto the road to enable and encourage fast cyclists to use The Esplanade between the northern car park end and Brighton Road. This has been enabled by the reopening of the clocktower roundabout to full north and south function for all vehicles and, subject to Main Roads WA approval, will include bike markings along the route. The Esplanade is within the traffic calmed 30kph area, which includes all roads west of West Coast Highway, but allows cyclists to maintain Primary position throughout ...Subject to weather, kerbing to the diversion will be installed tomorrow (Wednesday 22 June) and red asphalt on Thursday. Please be careful when using the revised layout and follow any traffic management and diversions while the works are being carried out.
Noticed the works and wondered what was happening here. Thanks for the heads-up. I might test out the new route tonight.

Andrew

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Rolandp wrote:
Hi CityWomble, any chance that City of Stirling can turn on the lights on the RSP near the Children's Play Ground. Reported by NeatStreets 2 weeks ago?
http://www.neatstreets.com.au/Report/10004175

Are we also able to get a route map of your suggested route? I have noticed the development work occuring at the northern section (thanks for pulling up the original path yesterday, very bumpy and the darkness didn't help to alert the users that this had occured) and personally I'm unclear how this would be used as getting to this location from the south used to mean that you had to travel over a footpath unless additional car-park access has been re-opened.

We have noticed the 10 new bike racks, forum members have been tracking the Local Government Grants. Are you able to confirm if the light pole installed next to the new bike racks is new or not. It is located about 1m out from the side of the road, and reduces the effective width of the RSP along this section.

Thanks for the head-ups and getting the new route organised as the RSP near the childrens playground was hairy with lots of young foot traffic, even at slow cycling speeds.
Roland,

Thank you for your reply.

The route is very simple and just involves following the main Esplanade route, however, the City is seeking approval from MRWA to install PBN style Route markings on the road to make the route clear. You are quite correct that full access both ways was not available as the through route was closed at the clocktower roundabout, however, this was rectified and the on road route fully opened, to all vehicles, in December 2010.

The light pole was installed, as part of a lighting upgrade between 8 January and 15 February this year. The available width between the pole and the wall is still approximately 4.0m, the poles are oviously well illuminated, and this width for an informal (unmarked) section of shared path, particularly where the adjacent road is now available for fast cycling, is more than adequate. I would argue that the row of light columns actually improves safety as it creates a 1.0m safety zone where pedestrians can access the path from the car park.

I have reported the inoperative lights that you identified as well as others, in the vicinity of Mettams and North Beach which were not illuminated at 6.00 pm yesterday. Hopefully this will be rectified in the near future.

Regards

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

citywomble wrote:I have reported the inoperative lights that you identified as well as others, in the vicinity of Mettams and North Beach which were not illuminated at 6.00 pm yesterday. Hopefully this will be rectified in the near future.
Are the street lights the responsibility of Western Power?

I also reported the lights on the RSP itself, where it descends to the beach. There are lights out on the northern and southern descents. I think Neat Streets reported these to Western Power but should the report have gone to CoS?

Regards
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:51 am

Curbing on the original path completed today:
Width significantly reduced, can you still fit things like trikes/trailers through this location now, to support those who recreationally ride? The direction of the curbing strongly suggests that you want to go onto the new path. Be warn that new surface has to be laid, and you are better to walk through the area then try to cycle.

Below image from NearMap where I've added two black lines to show where the new path is:

To get to this location when heading North, you either have to fit through the gap in the island to the left, assuming that there is no car parked there and avoid the broken glass which was there tonight, or navigate to the right which I believe is 'no entrance' - just looking at NearMap, the layout suggests that cars aren't allowed to go through if you follow the arrows on the roads. Couldn't the island be removed to allow for easier access to the new path? Car park has several speed humps.

Heading south at this location is easier, and you get the choice of riding the high carpark or the low carpark - suggest the high carpark as the little hill at the southern end for the low carpark, though there is the round-about at Manning Street. Try both and post comments on which way to go.

From the clocktower (southern) end, when heading north I jumped off the RSP onto the road, and won't be doing this again, as it is a very large curb. Can't we have access ways to the roads to allow for easier access to the RSP to support this new route? I personally don't like riding on The Esplanade here, as there are several speed humps and found it easier just to continue on the RSP.

Heading south from the clocktower, there is no way you can get onto the RSP due to the large curbs, so suggest continuing on The Esplanade, and join the RSP at Brighton Road.

With a couple of additional tweeks, I think the new layout will work better for us who do ride this way. I'm still a little bit confused why this is occuring now, as isn't there a proposal to redo this whole area (I provided feedback to CoS last year), so won't we be hit with additional changes in the future, which may prevent us riding this way when the car-parks are modified?

Found an image taken a couple of weeks ago of the new lights and the new bike racks:
These new lights are now along the RSP almost to Brighton Road. They do add additional lighting to the RSP which is good, but my preference would have been to have them closer to the carpark. My personal view is that I don't believe the pedesdrian will use the 1m gap between the light poles and the car-park (come on, they are doing busy walking 2-3 abreast, they won't be using that 1m), so it has effectively reduced the RSP by approximately 1m.

Aushiker, the turned off lights closer to the children's playground are the responibility of the City of Stirling as far as I'm aware. This was reported to CoS last year around this time, I think it took 2-3 e-mails and they were finally turned on. My quess is these are timed lights and someone has turned off the timer for winter. I didn't report the individual 'bollard' lights at the north and south of this area, so if you have, thanks for undertaking. I don't find the 'bollard' lights add much to visability, but at least you know where the edge of the path is on one side.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:20 am

Hi

I rode through the new route last night southbound. Northbound experience will be different at the point where you rejoin the RSP as Roland as alluded to.

I have some further thoughts on this but time is beating me at the moment so will comment later. Oh, I should have turned right into the carpark near the clock tower and taken the lower level, so that is my error not an issue with the route.

Andrew

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
citywomble wrote:I have reported the inoperative lights that you identified as well as others, in the vicinity of Mettams and North Beach which were not illuminated at 6.00 pm yesterday. Hopefully this will be rectified in the near future.
Are the street lights the responsibility of Western Power?

I also reported the lights on the RSP itself, where it descends to the beach. There are lights out on the northern and southern descents. I think Neat Streets reported these to Western Power but should the report have gone to CoS?

Regards
Andrew
Hi Andrew i heard local councils control lighting (not sure which ones), comlpaints about the lack of lighting in "dangerous areas" has arrisen, because the councils are paying the power bill and increseing higher rates to rate payers.
Some one else may be ale to shed some light
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:I have some further thoughts on this but time is beating me at the moment so will comment later. Oh, I should have turned right into the carpark near the clock tower and taken the lower level, so that is my error not an issue with the route.
My further thoughts on the matter for what they are worth: Whilst I support in the main the changes (I have never been impressed by the stupidity of some riders and groups who feel the need to ride fast through the recreational area and pass the kids playground so moving them out of this area is a good thing) the changes do have their own issues:

1. The clock tower roundabout: This is the big issue from my perspective, particularly for riders heading south. As can be seen from the video, motorists bank up in the roundabout (despite it being a breach of regulation 111 of the WA Road Traffic Code) making it difficult to move through the roundabout south. This will be an issue as well for northbound riders. This was an issue when I rode through last night but it is much worse in summer;

2. The new route goes past the shops etc on The Esplanade. Pedestrian traffic in summer will be a problem for cyclists creating a potentially dangerous situation for both parties;

3. Cyclists will have to interact with parking traffic and more so reversing traffic, again this gets much worse in summer and leads to potentially dangerous interactions;

4. Speed humps: Speed humps are more annoying than anything else along here as they are reasonably mild in their design;

5. What impact will the Scarborough Beach Urban Master Design Plan have on further changes to this route?

I hope the negatives are outweighed by the positives but only time will tell. I also strongly encourage City of Stirling to mark the clock tower roundabout with keep clear road markings to make it clear that blocking the roundabout is not only not okay and but illegal as well. Also warning road markings are needed outside The Esplanade food shopping area to ensure pedestrians look for cyclists and vice versa.

Regards
Andrew

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Heads up be careful of the bollard covers near the round bout they are close together and are REALLY slippery. The 1st ones heading South are in a straight line the 2nd ones are while you are turning be warned. I didn't fall off but it was close.

MM

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 am

Entrance to new path completely covered by sand, following the rain on Friday. Reported via NeatStreet this evening.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:52 am

rolandp wrote:Entrance to new path completely covered by sand, following the rain on Friday. Reported via NeatStreet this evening.
Thanks for reporting this issue Roland. I meant to do it, but ran out of time. They really need to deal with the cause otherwise it will be an ongoing issue for sure

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Hi

Sand still there tonight. Looks like it has come from the CoS excavation of the area to put the cut in, in the first place.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 pm

rolandp wrote:Entrance to new path completely covered by sand, following the rain on Friday. Reported via NeatStreet this evening.
Matter still not resolved this morning. Reported again via Snap Send Solve. Time to escalate this me thinks. Do you want to do this Roland or shall I? Happy to invovle the Ombudsman given the level of risk it poses to cyclists, particularly in the dark.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Not good that it hasn't been resolved, given the amount of sand and reported one week ago. Andrew, you would have the latest status of the area as I've been using the Freeway PSP due to the wet weather last week, so please contact Stirling directly if you have the time.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:24 am

rolandp wrote:Not good that it hasn't been resolved, given the amount of sand and reported one week ago. Andrew, you would have the latest status of the area as I've been using the Freeway PSP due to the wet weather last week, so please contact Stirling directly if you have the time.
Rode through last night and it has been "cleaned" up. Very poor effort ... sand dumped in piles above the dip into the carpark waiting for the next rain, sand left on the surface as you come into the carpark putting cyclists, particularly southbound cyclists at risk.

Seriously how hard is it to use a broom?

They have aslo done a very poor effort of cleaning up the sand on the southern descent into the Esplanade. Similary situation, very poor effort, sand dumped off to the edge of the path and one lot of sand left on the path.

I will formally raise my concerns with the Mayor. This is just shoddy lazy workmanship leaving people at risk. It shouldn't be acceptable at the City of Stirling or any Council in 2011.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm

michaelp7757 wrote:As a City Of Stirling rate payer this is music to the ears.
Ditto.

Rode through it this weekend. I suspect back-to-front (north bound, using top carpark).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:31 am

Went this way last night, and saw the sand piled up on the edge, waiting for the next rain to move it back again. Not good.

City of Stirling also provided an image of the new path markings on the original shared path yesterday to BTA:
They will be installing 'Trigg Style Pillars' at each end with 10kph signs, (previously discussed here).

PBN signage is indicated will be installed on The Esplanade, to direct faster riders to the new route.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 am

When heading South, just prior to entering the carpark, additional painting occured today directing us left into the carpark. Not too sure why, but half the lane is closed when travelling home this evening as the paint dries.

Access heading North is still poor, the council should be focusing on modification of that island to allow access to the path rather than painting additional directional signs which add little value.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:57 pm

rolandp wrote: They will be installing 'Trigg Style Pillars' at each end with 10kph signs, (previously discussed .
This will be interesting if they are at the bottom of the hill for your Mum Dad and Kids punters, I can see a crash or two happening. I starting to think its safer and easier on the path the carpark is a nightmare car pullling out, turning no indicators, had a truck try to squash me two days ago only to nearly stop in front over the speed humps GGGRRR

MM

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:18 am

Old topic, but had a brown pants event the other night.

When travelling north on the upper carpark, to join the RSP at the northern end, a car decided to exit the lower carpark to travel up what I thought was a no-entry and has bollards to prevent motorised access (in this case they were lowered). The car was surprised to see me on what I assumed he thought was a one way road and thought I was travelling in the wrong direction, resulting in the normal hand waving (to put in nice).

In the 4 years since this layout has changed, this was the first time it has occurred here for me that I have encountered a car (don't ride daily this way, but have been riding daily for the last 5 months).

Have put in a request to City of Stirling to confirm what those bollards are for and why they are currently lowered.

Also asked them to clean up the sand at this location (yes we live in Perth, and yes this is a beach location but really, do we have to let that volume of sand settle on the RSP).

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 11, 2015 9:56 pm

The southern end of scarborough RSP now has those 'Trigg island bollards'. No warnings that they were being installed or signs indicating 'road traffic layout changed'.

I wished that there was a cycle lane on West Coast Hway, as there is no real choice at this time except the RSP.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi Roland

Where have they placed them?

I normally go onto the road after coming up the rise (after the drop down from the WCH). Then along the road between the carpark and shops (Esplanade?) the through the roundabout, through the carpark and back onto the RSP at the bottom of the climb back to the WCH. The avoid the RSP through Scarborough.

Tim