Coastal RSP at Scarborough

citywomble

Re: Coastal RSP at Scarborough

Postby citywomble » Tue May 12, 2015 1:45 am

Hi,

The control 'gate' is located on the RSP half way down the hill heading north from West Coast Highway towards the end of The Esplanade south of Brighton Road. This is a very busy pedestrian access from Kay Street to the beach and from today also has very clear advance signage indicating a 20 km/h speed limit applicable to this section of the Recreational Shared Path.

Regrettably this is one of only two sections, the hills at each end from The Esplanade to West Coast Highway and up as far as the Trigg South car park, where there is not a suitable adjacent road and, unlike the northern end to Trigg, does have a lot of pedestrian traffic mixed with very fast >40km/h cyclists. Unfortunately this calming measure became necessary because of the excessive speeds on a semi blind downhill curve with many near misses and some reported collisions.

The barrier lines and hatching to clearly indicate the cyclist path through the control 'gate' should also be installed this week.

Incidentally, all parks and bush reserves are already by local law subject to a 10km/h limit (unless signed otherwise) for all vehicles which includes bicycles, so the 20 km/h signs represent an increase in the legal speed and not a reduction and is compatible with normal shared path design standards, especially recreational ones.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 12, 2015 10:50 am

citywomble wrote:Hi,

Regrettably this is one of only two sections, the hills at each end from The Esplanade to West Coast Highway and up as far as the Trigg South car park, where there is not a suitable adjacent road and, unlike the northern end to Trigg, does have a lot of pedestrian traffic mixed with very fast >40km/h cyclists. Unfortunately this calming measure became necessary because of the excessive speeds on a semi blind downhill curve with many near misses and some reported collisions.

Andrew

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue May 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Went through this morning think it's stupid and a waste of money. Another nanny state measure.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Marty Moose wrote:Went through this morning think it's stupid and a waste of money. Another nanny state measure.
Don't worry, the whole lot is due to be replaced with a road - to reduce congestion on the foreshore.

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/projects-and-p ... carborough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and particularly http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/documents-medi ... ns-faq.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that it won't be used as a way to bypass the lights by motorvehicle commuters - because that's "not intended"
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:Went through this morning think it's stupid and a waste of money. Another nanny state measure.
Don't worry, the whole lot is due to be replaced with a road - to reduce congestion on the foreshore.

http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/projects-and-p ... carborough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and particularly http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/documents-medi ... ns-faq.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that it won't be used as a way to bypass the lights by motorvehicle commuters - because that's "not intended"
Which then begs the question, who has authorised this implementation? From the master plan:
The MRA’s Interim Redevelopment Scheme was gazetted in July 2014, resulting in the formal transfer of planning (development control) responsibilities from Stirling to the MRA.
Do I now have to write another letter to MRA complaining about the lack of cycling infrastructure and another MRA project?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 13, 2015 12:05 am

And to make matters worst, had a word with a motorist this evening who pulled out from the shopping centre car park onto The Esplanade, not seeing me, resulting in emergency breaking. I had my lights on, wearing the yellow reflector jacket (which doesn't help that much when his lights weren't shining on me) plus the compulsory white front reflector (bet there aren't too many of us who has this legal reflector which again didn't help that much with his lights not shining on it). He apologised for not seeing me.

I then get beeped by two motorists for riding on West Coast Drive, the section where I was told by Mr Plod for going too fast whilst riding on the shared path.

Clearly I was a magnet for those with a different opinion to where I can cycle tonight.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 13, 2015 12:05 am

rolandp wrote:Do I now have to write another letter to MRA complaining about the lack of cycling infrastructure and another MRA project?
I think the answer is...yes

as7431

Postby as7431 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Went through the bollards on my way home tonight (heading north). Tight squeeze! Went through at walking pace and then pedaled normally down the hill. May or may not have still reached 40kph at the bottom near where the suicidal overtaker was in Andrew's video. So, I would say as a mechanism to slow down cyclists this is a complete fail. I would say that going uphill through the bollards heading south could be tricky,

Also 20 kph signs installed, identical in look to road speed signs. Did not get a photo of it, but it did mention something about a shared space. Another 30 kph sign was also just before you entered onto the road. Are these speeds legally enforceable?

Tim

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:51 pm

The 'formally adopted master plan' was released today.

From it:
high speed bicycle movements, including commuters and competent recreational cyclists will be directed on-street to the low speed traffic environment in The Esplanade rather than the existing Principal Shared Path (PSP); and

Have they really considered cycling infrastructure, when the report does not specify what is already there?

At least it is 'low speed' for The Esplanade, but bet you there will be no easy way to get on/off from the RSP, and there is no way I will be riding on West Coast Highway, which is the only entrance/exit to The Esplanade.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:05 pm

rolandp wrote:The 'formally adopted master plan' was released today.
I love this one
Higher order issues regarding multimodal strategic transport planning and traffic engineering, including broader parking management and access strategies across the Redevelopment Area, are the subject of further investigations by the MRA, in consultation with the transport agencies and the City of Stirling.
I.E. we're launching the plan and doing redevelopment before we've considered the traffic impacts properly. Image
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:17 am

There was a photo shoot on the RSP on Monday afternoon, just South of Scarborough.

The shoot involved a female walker colliding with a male cyclists or skateboarder. Couldn't make out which as for some reason I was focusing on two people lying on the ground, and then working out there are a bunch of photographs off to the left.

No warning signs, nothing, all I see at first is two people on the ground, and slowing down to assist.

Photo shoot for fashion or similar , photo shoot for sharing the path, who knows, but not impressed.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:49 am

Completely irresponsible of the people involved. I think a letter to the mayor detailing the danger of allowing such actions would be appropriate. Was a permit issued for the shoot? Was it sanctioned by the council? Why weren't appropriate safety measures in place if it was a sanctioned shoot?
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....