Perth weather

flashpixx

Re: Perth weather

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:44 am

went for a 70km ride yesteday arvo, thinking the rain had gone for the day.... umm no Got absolutely soaked heading home around Shelley :(
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

i went around the river yesterday, boyfriend went south on the freeway and I got some light rain

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:48 am

Nice and warm this morning and for the 1st 20kms or so a reasonable easterly breeze which wasn't too much of a bother - until I came over Mt Henry bridge and the wind turned immediately into a stiff north westerly, which made the last 10kms into the city quite unpleasant.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Started out flaming cold well I wish it was flaming as I was cold. Ended up glorious :)

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Yep. Dropped the car in for its 1st service and put the bike in the back to ride home...with a 45km detour :)

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:57 am

another goodun. oh yehhh

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Was a bit cold yesterday morning, but it was lovely this morning...! Id love a few more mornings like that, before the heat starts to ratchet up again...
Spotted Colin out this morning on the Fwy PSP too!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:49 pm

was a little cold at 5:30 to 6 or so (fingerless gloves not the best choice), but once the sun got up, it got warmer. Surprised by the sheer number of cyclists out this morning. Training rides going south, commuters heading north to the city.

Bakks

Postby Bakks » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:19 pm

This weather brings out all the morons. People don't drive on the wrong side of the road around blind corners so why do they do it on bikes? e.g. the moron this morning on the wrong side of the bike path near Mount St. :twisted:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Bakks wrote:This weather brings out all the morons. People don't drive on the wrong side of the road around blind corners so why do they do it on bikes? e.g. the moron this morning on the wrong side of the bike path near Mount St. :twisted:
Ahh- yes they kinda do- mobile coffee van this morning overtook me on West Coast Drive by heading around two islands into oncoming traffic- somehow safely overtaking me on the correct side of the road was too difficult- unlike the 100 other cars/trucks who managed it perfectly safely for all.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Not surprisingly, this morning was very popular at 7.45ish. Heaps of people riding up the freeway from Canning bridge to the city.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 am

Sooo many cyclists/ commuters out on the paths yesterday morning and this morning.
Don't get me wrong, Its great to see people cycling to work, but damn, this new breed are selfish and don't know how to keep left.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 am

SNAKE ® wrote:Sooo many cyclists/ commuters out on the paths yesterday morning and this morning.
Don't get me wrong, Its great to see people cycling to work, but damn, this new breed are selfish and don't know how to keep left.
Fair Weather Cyclists- they have just come out of hibernation and think they can pick up fitness wise from April, some need a good talking to (or face slap with a fish)

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 pm

I left at 5.45 this morning and was regretting my short sleeves for the first half hour but it was lovely by the time I got to the city at 7am. It will be a two bottle (one frozen) ride home in 35C.

Incidentally, there were loads more cyclists about this morning, despite the early hour, for Ride to Work Day. My only issues were one group of about 10 riding slowly 4 abreast on a quiet road north of Duncraig and a young woman who refused to move left and let me pass on that narrow bridge over the freeway by Ossie Park hospital. But I thought the newbies were generally riding far safer than the average rider any other day.

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:15 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
SNAKE ® wrote:Sooo many cyclists/ commuters out on the paths yesterday morning and this morning.
Fair Weather Cyclists- they have just come out of hibernation and think they can pick up fitness wise from April, some need a good talking to (or face slap with a fish)
Agree with this, I'm a couple of days a week rider depending on shift patterns, and this morning there were quite a few riders out, a few not stopping at red lights either. I know it is early and traffic is at a minimum, but it annoys me when people can't just stop for what could be 30 seconds to 2 minutes!

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Probably not the right thread to discuss but seeing as perth isnt the biggest of cities, the chances are we will be referring to each other!

I can honestly say i fall into the category of red light jumpers, but only in the interest of self preservation.

To be clear, i only jump when the scenario includes

- famililiar intersection where i know the sequence
- usually/always when the opposite traffic is turning right at a green light and all other traffic is stopped at red lights, ill jump after the last car has cleared
- at t-intersections where its clear there is no traffic turning right onto the straight

In my experience, i find getting ahead means cars can get up to speed leaving space between them to over take me safely. I found if i take off at the same time, cars are still eager to over take me, but they are still too bunched up and end up squeezing me, even after taking an aggressive line (full left wheel track)

I understand this may not endear us to motorist or give cyclist a good name, but my saftey is more important to me then blindly following rules for the sake of it.

pics

Last edited by jaseyjase on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:38 pm

I do think that road cyclists should be permitted to proceed through the intersection when the 'green man' pedestrian head start goes, for the exact reason you mentioned above that it allows you to get up to speed and minimise the friction with following vehicles.

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Stand on the intersection of St Georges Terrace and Milligan Street, anywhere from 4-6pm and watch the games of chicken people play with the pedestrians who are crossing at their alloted go. Can't agree with it in any way.

And i have noticed more and more bike couriers in the last couple of months, in and around the CBD and most of them need a good slap about the head. They for one are not giving the majority a good name.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:41 pm

There is a big difference in action and in the perception by other users, in jumping a red light a second or 2 early, compared with riding up to and through a junction regardless of the lights, sequence etc. That is what pisses people off. If you've stopped with traffic and essentially wait your turn, then you'll cop no aggro from anyone in my experience

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:19 pm

colinmc400 wrote:Stand on the intersection of St Georges Terrace and Milligan Street, anywhere from 4-6pm and watch the games of chicken people play with the pedestrians who are crossing at their alloted go. Can't agree with it in any way.
I agree and, just to clarify, my previous post wasn't suggesting permitting cyclists to ride through the scramble ped crossings (which will all be gone eventually), only the parallel walk head starts which give you 6 seconds to get clipped in and going before cars do.
colinmc400 wrote:And i have noticed more and more bike couriers in the last couple of months, in and around the CBD and most of them need a good slap about the head. They for one are not giving the majority a good name.
Agree. No regard whatsoever for the road rules.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:56 pm

When I got home, I was all red faced! :oops:

kellery82

Perth weather

Postby kellery82 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Robinho wrote:There is a big difference in action and in the perception by other users, in jumping a red light a second or 2 early, compared with riding up to and through a junction regardless of the lights, sequence etc. That is what pisses people off. If you've stopped with traffic and essentially wait your turn, then you'll cop no aggro from anyone in my experience
That's what happened this morning, it wasn't a second or two before green, it was looking both ways and treating the intersection like a give way sign. I ended up waiting a couple of minutes and caught up anyway until we got to the next red, where they went straight through again. I understand there is little traffic that early, but this is what gives cyclists a bad rap.

Anyway end rant and back on topic, was a warm ride home, loving the heat :)

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:55 am

I am surprised no one has mentioned cars / suvs stopping in the pedestrian / bike crossing zone at intersections because they didn't get through the set of lights through their own impatience. That's one of my biggest hates.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 pm

Anyway, back to the weather, it's lovely today

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Parker wrote:Anyway, back to the weather, it's lovely today
Not if you're a hayfever sufferer ;)