Bayswater-Bassendean Path commenced!

Phil

Re: Bayswater-Bassendean Path commenced!

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 am

Had a go on this last weekend, but had to dismount and go round the bunting (reinforced with wire now). Nice little tailwind as I was heading back from Bassendean, made it very easy to go fairly quick.

Straight smooth wide path with lots of visibility, very nice indeed, even with the street crossings.

Decent coffee in Maylands too.

bjohnson

Postby bjohnson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Yeah I've noticed that they have fortified their fences somewhat.. There are also signs posted every 50m or so.
Does anyone know what they're waiting for? It seems stupid to force people onto the road when there is probably one of the best paths in perth right there.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Yeh they have made serious efforts to prevent use now with lots of signage and plenty of bunting obstacles.

They are still working on getting the lighting working so its likely a case of "Cant sign off on the project till its finished", despite the fact that they have made the existing infrastructure hard to use/access at the guildford rd Tonkin hwy end and crossing the railway at Katanning st is pointless.

Given the volume of cycle and pedestrian traffic that uses the Midland PSP, you would think that they could at least open the short section between the hwy and the crossing to return it to a safer intersection - its no different now to what it was before (lighting or not).
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Latest birdie twittering is THIS FRIDAY
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yeah it's amazing to see how many people were using it!!! Personally I don't have any issues with riding Railway Parade though.... (don't ride Guildford until you get past Bassendean - there's no need to)

I am more interested in when the path over Bridge Rd is going to be completed. I can hold 30-35kph over the bridge and people still try to kill themselves to overtake me
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:28 pm

Noticed this morning that one side of the Katanning st Xing has had "Clearway" signage applied. This is a great move but it will be interesting to see what the traffic does now with respect to "KeepingClear".

I think they will be doin really well if its open by tommorrow - they still have more road paint to go and they were still workin on light posts today also.
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

fixed wrote:Latest birdie twittering is THIS FRIDAY
Hope your little bird twittering is correct. Maybe they will also announce the 2012/13 Local Government Grantsat the same time?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Opens at 11:00 AM apparently. Time to gate crash it :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Cyclesnail at the opening.

Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:02 pm

They deliver on the last working day of the financial year :lol: Coincidence? I doubt it!

I will have a roll on it tonight :)

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Great ribbon cutting - :D - I sort of feel ownership for that segment of the path :D :D :D. Nice for Donna Faragher to let me stand next to her. I think the Mayor of Bassendean, John Gangell, was less impressed :wink:

Now all we have to do is to get safe connections accross Guildford Road, and of course make sure that the path gets extended to Midland. Looks like the up-stream path on Guildford bridge is ready to use (but barriers are still in place, held with chains!!!).
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

bjohnson

Postby bjohnson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks for the updates guys!

Looking forward to a nice open ride tomorrow.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:11 am

Whilst taking my kids to Midland I noticed today that the barrier on Guildford Bridge had also been moved

bjohnson

Postby bjohnson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

CycleSnail wrote:Whilst taking my kids to Midland I noticed today that the barrier on Guildford Bridge had also been moved
They must have moved it back?

I finished up my ride at 5ish and it was definitely there.

Speedster

Postby Speedster » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm

I've started using this section of path for commuting, is it just me or is there a problem with motorists failing to obey the "KEEP CLEAR" sections on the road when the traffic light is red? (Even Nearmap has captured an infringement at Collier Rd!).

Educating the driver of their error does not sink in, the message really needs to come from plod - probably bottom of their priority list though.

Gnor

Postby Gnor » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Speedstar people have been parking 2 deep there for 20+ years and it will take a while to retrain headspace, I just wriggle around them:)

Its an amusing piece of track that invaribly I get laugh. One time a guy was " recalibrating his on board computer " by walking next to his bike counting.
I usually deviate across to the PEAK to fill my tyres so its nice to have a good ride to do that :)
Really inconvenient if you want to get across Guildford road other than at the lights to go to the IGA or turkish place. O my that turkish place is good!

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Gnor wrote:Really inconvenient if you want to get across Guildford road other than at the lights to go to the IGA or turkish place. O my that turkish place is good!
Which one is that? - always keen to spot refueling stops next to decent cycle routes

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm

Phil wrote:
Gnor wrote:Really inconvenient if you want to get across Guildford road other than at the lights to go to the IGA or turkish place. O my that turkish place is good!
Which one is that? - always keen to spot refueling stops next to decent cycle routes
Pretty much where the overpass comes down. That Turkish bakery is good indeed.

We worked very hard to get a median island to enable safe crossing at that point. Town of Bassendean also wrote an official letter requesting it. Got nowhere. Frustrating.... But we got the path.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 pm

5 years later, and the bad connection through the Bayswater car park is being addressed. PTA update

Starts Tuesday 18th April at a cost of $1.5m.

Given that Labor has promised $40m to upgrade the Bayswater Station and there already a existing $7 million commitment from the Forrestfield Airport Link budget. Labor announcement

Should the $1.5m improvement occur now, given that we have been using the car park for the last 5 years, and there is a $47m commitment to completely redevelop the station?

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:07 pm

... and then there is the question how the extra rail tracks for the airport line are going to impact the PSP on that stretch East of the Bayswater station....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 pm

CycleSnail wrote:... and then there is the question how the extra rail tracks for the airport line are going to impact the PSP on that stretch East of the Bayswater station....
Good question.

The PSP works at Bayswater Station finishes mid-2017
The Forrestfield Indicative Timeline indicates the Bayswater dive structure starts around Aug-2017 and runs to early 2019. The Bayswater Construction Map shows from Whatley Crs to Railway Pde being included as a construction site, so one can only guess cyclists will be diverted to either Whatley Crs, or Railway Pde and then joining back to the PSP west of Bayswater Station.

So, if the above is correct, the PSP work at Bayswater station will only be available for 2 months and then may have limited use for another 16 months, depending on where the PSP diversion goes.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 am

Yea, Roland, that is about right. It will take a few months for the new cycling people at DoT to get their act together .... perhaps we should resurrect some sort of cycling lobby. How about drinks in the CBD next week?