Arena/PEC rail bridge

rolandp

Re: Arena/PEC rail bridge

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Sinner wrote:The work on the Arena PSP seems to have started. Main Roads' contractors have closed the nearside Freeway off slip lane and are working at the Wellington Street end.
Interesting. Below image taken on Thursday 18-Apr-2013 around 7:00am:
This was used in a letter that evening to DG DoT asking if this project would be completed as there was virtual no visual signs of any work occurring in the area and the project is scheduled to be completed by 26-Apr-2013, just over a week to go.
Below image is from Friday 19-Apr-2013 around 6:00pm:
Also a closer-up down the corridor:
Will they complete this project in one week, will it be nice and level like it was previously, and will it include all the facilities of a PSP including wide width, overhead lights, easy access in particular from the Market St end where currently we will be competing with cars entering/exiting the car park. Given that the funds for this project was announced back in Apr-2012, The Arena has been open for at least 6 months, my expectation is that we will have a PSP meeting all the above (and hopefully more), as this is just a normal expectation of what should be provided for all new PSP's, in particular in a high use area like Perth CBD (it would even be better if this was dedicated cycle path).

In relation to the Northern PSP (the one that goes around the back of The Arena), the hard walls were removed yesterday, and we can now see where this connects into the 'road infrastructure'. Based on the below image, it looks like the whole pavement area around The Arena will become one large shared path. Interesting concept when events are on:

So in less than one week:
PSP on Market St will be re-opened 25-Apr-2013 (next Thursday - ANZAC day)
PSP Arena West will be re-opened 26-Apr-2013 (next Friday)
This is based on MainRoads Perth CBD Roadworks PSD which was updated Friday 19-Apr-2013 (yesterday so it is very recent).

And:
PSP Arena North - potentially soon as there shouldn't be anything else to complete except take down the wire fences

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:11 pm

and just found on MainRoads page:
Mitchell Freeway
Mitchell Freeway - Perth
Mitchell Freeway exit ramp to Wellington Street
17 April to 10 July 2013 - continuous

Lane closure of one of the two left turn lanes
Speed limit reductions in place
Traffic Management will be on site
Installation of the shared path between Market Street and Wellington Street;
So I guess I've answered my own question, and it won't be completed by 26-Apr-2013 :(. Wonder why MainRoads didn't update the PDF which still says this project will be completed on 26-Apr-2013?

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm

rolandp wrote: In relation to the Northern PSP (the one that goes around the back of The Arena),
I went by the arena last thursday and actually rode up this. The gate was left open and no signs, so I thought it might be finished, unfortunately still had those gates in your photo at the end so I had to go back and through the car park.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Vent: Got hit by a fellow cyclist who overtook(!) me on this bridge last night. No bell, no warning, was on one of the downward slopes, just approaching a hairpin. Hence, I swung out gently to take the left corner and dude hit my handlebars with his. No acknowledgement. Could have been nasty (for him as he was going a fair bit faster). Vent over.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 am

The team working on the replacement PSP on the west side of the arena have now dug their way to market st,

I heard back from DoT about this area:
I am advised that the completion date of the Market Street PSP and the PSP next to the Perth Arena is being held up while the Arena site is being finished. No actual dates are known yet but July has been mentioned.

If you haven't noticed, the access point to the railway works area moved this week so it now intersects the PSP, it would be the section now covered in white sand, and taking a stab, is slowly crumbling away as PSP are not designed to support large construction vehicles.

Also someone thought it was a good idea to move the arena crane onto the Wellington st shared path. It was nice of them to leave a gap between the crane and the trees to fit one bike through. Maybe tomorrow they could park it at Parliament House blocking access to share the joy.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 02, 2013 2:09 pm

rolandp wrote:Also someone thought it was a good idea to move the arena crane onto the Wellington st shared path.
Where are the grey ghosts when you need them?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

PSP next to the Arena scheduled for completion 10th July

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm

...well, tonight it was possible to weave through behind the arena, going east. It was a pleasure not to have to negotiate the car park
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm

CycleSnail wrote:...well, tonight i
Damn - beat me to it. I could see from the train this morning (I and my bike are injured) that the north side was finished, if still barricaded off
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 pm

CycleSnail wrote:...well, tonight it was possible to weave through behind the arena, going east. It was a pleasure not to have to negotiate the car park
Wasn't the case this morning, as someone had dug up our virgin path, to put down a concrete section:

The works on the western replacement PSP are coming along nicely:
They had better be putting down a priority crossing to allow us safely cross this road, rather than give priority to a car park entrance/exit.

I was also getting annoyed with these barricades, and reported today, moved off the PSP sometime today:
At the same time I asked when the Market St PSP would be opened, in particular as Minister of Transport reports this project is on track to early finish - so why can't there be an estimated date when the PSP will be finished.

To top it off, the Arena car-park exit points weren't working this morning, so had to squeeze around the boom-gate. Was waiting for the security to pounce on me.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

The path was all clear today, I used it both to/from work...nice :D

That bit where you saw it fenced off was for installing a couple of bollards (to stop cars, presumably).

Hopping onto Market St heading west was a bit scary as it's a one-way road.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 am

I'm not impressed. This has been 7-odd years in the making, when the PSP was originally closed to build the Arena. At the last second, someone digs out a section of brand new, never used PSP, and sticks in a lump of concrete to house bollards. And they position them smack in the middle of the PSP lanes:

Is there a guide book "101 ways to not build cycling infrastructure" which seems to be used in WA?

I don't believe there is room to ride on the north side (shown on the right in the image), there may be just enough room on the south side, otherwise we have to share the gap in the middle. Does it really take 7 years to come up with this concept, and couldn't it have been discarded in 2 seconds by anyone just asking the basic question "you want to stick bollards in the middle of the cycle lanes, are you nuts"?

Wait for the white dividing lines to go down, wonder what they will do when they get to this section.

And to have no warning signs on the east end indicating that the path hits a 1-way road is irresponsible. Maybe they think we can ride up the Freeway on-road, as this is the only road option at this location when travelling west.

To top it off, this morning I attempted cross Wellington St lights, up Milligan St. Three cars turning right on Milligan St, thought it was OK to cut me off, the third car being a City of Perth's Ranger's car. Must remember to install that camera on the bike again.

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Has anyone ridden the wellington st side of the Arena in the conditions like the ones this afternoon? It creates an unrideable wind tunnel effect, I had to get off my bike and walk the last half up to the traffic lights and even then I struggled to keep my feet.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at those bollards. I thought 1 bollard was dangerous enough, they're just taking the p... now.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 am

I was mistaken you can ride on the north side of the original photo. Just don't be using a trike, in a wheel chair, or pulling a buggy, as it may be a different story.

And the treat at the eastern end, you get a multiple choice of bollards:
There are also additional bike racks at this end.

Has anyone riden this section in the dark, wondering if those bollards have reflective tape on them.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Closed this morning:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 pm

When I went past around 1800, they were still working on the bicycle racks, but I managed to squezze past.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 15, 2013 12:01 am

CycleSnail wrote:When I went past around 1800, they were still working on the bicycle racks, but I managed to squezze past.
Surely you aren't serious that they were working on the bike racks with that crane?

On a guess that they would be working at this location again, I took the Arena/PEC Rail Bridge, and my guess was correct, Arena by-pass close again this morning:

I then get down to the bottom of the bridge ramp, and lucky we have a slow down sign otherwise, we may hit the temporary barrier, or the fencing sticking out onto the path just behind it:

I then attempt to cross the walk-way at the bottom of the bridge, clearly marked with a zebra crossing/pedestrians signs, and I stopped as a very large truck was no way going to stop for me, or the car behind either. I must be made of glass.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll give up and ride by Fremantle to avoid the northern entrances into Perth CBD.

Both items reported to Main Roads, with a request again, when will the Market St PSP be open, pretty please?

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 am

in the evening, in the cordoned off area on the left of the top picture, they have now installed a set of bike rails

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 am

These ones:

Above image taken on 7th May 2013. However worth noting that we have been blocked also from critical cycle parking with this unannounced outage :).

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

[quote="rolandp when will the Market St PSP be open, pretty please?[/quote]

my info is in the next two weeks.....

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

rolandp wrote:I then attempt to cross the walk-way at the bottom of the bridge, clearly marked with a zebra crossing/pedestrians signs, and I stopped as a very large truck was no way going to stop for me, or the car behind either. I must be made of glass.
I'm a bit confused - why are cars and trucks using the bus only road?

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed May 15, 2013 6:16 pm

most likely construction trucks and the workers parking around there

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm

jaseyjase wrote:most likely construction trucks and the workers parking around there
correct, construction truck and assume worker or supervisor car.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Thu May 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Have to say though, the bus drivers are very courteous at this crossing.