Cyclist nabbed for speeding in school zone

elStado

Re: Cyclist nabbed for speeding in school zone

Postby elStado » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:30 am

Oxford wrote:I know the subject is serious, but its hard not to laugh at the gaping double standards.
+1

I thought the exact same thing. The comments are, as per usual, ridiculous and extremely hypocritical!

Anyone would think that cyclists are to blame for all the ills of the world, and that poor motorists are innocent for every action and have never harmed a soul judging by what some have said.. :roll:

BS
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:18 am

rambler1au wrote:you know I get the distinct feeling that some posters on this site are a bunch of self righteous sanctimonious twits who probably work as government clerks and follow every rule religiously lest you don't get the next ass kissing promotion.

I bet you and complain to the council about the neighbors rooster in the morning and have lived with your mothers until you were 40 and probably still wear the sweater she knitted for you for your 21st birthday

Rules are not there for the sake of the rule they are there for safety so lets get back to the safety thing how many people were killed by cyclists last year.... yes that's right NONE how many people were killed by cars, LOTS so the winner of the prize are CARS

Just like the odd shark attack happens and people advocate the mass killing of sharks, so is this lemming mentality that all rules must be followed to the letter because they are there in the road code or GOD will smite you and or the cops will send you to Casuarina until you have repented.

I'm going to tell you this that yes I go trough a red lights on my bike ( if no one is coming) , and I do go the wrong way up a one way street,I also ignore no entry signs and park my bike in a no parking zone and OMGosh I even may even sometimes ride two a breast on a cycle path.

If I a bad person well I'm sorry Ill bet I'm not the only one amongst you that does that and I have never been picked up and if I do, I'm going to whinge about it like hell.

What ever happened to using your common sense whilst riding and being observant of the situation you are in whilst on a bike or is there no room for that in the government gazette rule book.
Well thanks for putting the world to rights.
I have never been picked up and if I do, I'm going to whinge about it like hell
That sounds more than a little self righteous, do the crime do the time.
Whatever happened to taking responsibility for ones actions?
Too old to live, too slow to die.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:52 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Are radar guns accurate when used on a cyclist?

A cars shape is rigid. A cyclist moves. What if the first reading is off the cyclists body and the second reading off their arm?
Just asking
By the same token, a car traveling at 60kph will have the top of the wheel traveling at 120kph. Now if the cops worked out how to get the reading off the top of the tyre then THAT would be a nice little earner for consolidated revenue!
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 am

rambler1au wrote: I'm going to tell you this that yes I go trough a red lights on my bike ( if no one is coming) , and I do go the wrong way up a one way street,I also ignore no entry signs and park my bike in a no parking zone and OMGosh I even may even sometimes ride two a breast on a cycle path.

If I a bad person well I'm sorry Ill bet I'm not the only one amongst you that does that and I have never been picked up and if I do, I'm going to whinge about it like hell.

What ever happened to using your common sense whilst riding and being observant of the situation you are in whilst on a bike or is there no room for that in the government gazette rule book.
Sorry, 56 in a school zone is not "common sense". (And yes, I have down hill school zones on my commute)

I'm really struggling to think of a situation where riding the wrong way on a one way street is common sense. Mostly it's action of a self centered idiot.

Stop handing them the stick
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 am

rambler1au wrote: What ever happened to using your common sense whilst riding and being observant of the situation you are in whilst on a bike...
The problem with common sense is that it isn't that common. And to assume that it works in isolation from the world around the percieved user is....unrealistic.

So the bureaucrats had to record certain interpretations of common sense in a Book of Rules which (as common sense dictates) gets wildly misinterpreted by all and sundry. Now that's 'Common Sense'
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:51 pm

rambler1au wrote:you know I get the distinct feeling that some posters on this site are a bunch of self righteous sanctimonious twits who probably work as government clerks and follow every rule religiously lest you don't get the next ass kissing promotion.

I bet you and complain to the council about the neighbors rooster in the morning and have lived with your mothers until you were 40 and probably still wear the sweater she knitted for you for your 21st birthday

Rules are not there for the sake of the rule they are there for safety so lets get back to the safety thing how many people were killed by cyclists last year.... yes that's right NONE how many people were killed by cars, LOTS so the winner of the prize are CARS

Just like the odd shark attack happens and people advocate the mass killing of sharks, so is this lemming mentality that all rules must be followed to the letter because they are there in the road code or GOD will smite you and or the cops will send you to Casuarina until you have repented.

I'm going to tell you this that yes I go trough a red lights on my bike ( if no one is coming) , and I do go the wrong way up a one way street,I also ignore no entry signs and park my bike in a no parking zone and OMGosh I even may even sometimes ride two a breast on a cycle path.

Hmmm. I can't find much in this rant that I can agree. And much with which I can't. I suppose that puts me in the class of whingers with little common sense. Oh well, I'll cope with that. Ho hum.

Nice to see sharks, highly relevant to the discussion, being introduced too. Is it time that we broadened the scope of Godwin's Law?

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:11 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: Hmmm. I can't find much in this rant that I can agree. And much with which I can't. I suppose that puts me in the class of whingers with little common sense. Oh well, I'll cope with that. Ho hum.

Nice to see sharks, highly relevant to the discussion, being introduced too. Is it time that we broadened the scope of Godwin's Law?

No relevance??

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Since were talking about Godwins law The Nazis were great on laws every time someone stepped out of line a new law was instigated.

I think they were also trying to protect young Germans from the terrible Jews for their own good.

I think Safety was their main rationale for instigating anti jewish legislation

PS Love the shark bit.

OOPS mentioned Nazis That means this is my last post on this subject
Last edited by rambler1au on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Rambler

Now you're just being silly....but it made me laugh all the same :wink:

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:11 pm

I'd like this thread locked now please.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Rambler1au said:
Just like the odd shark attack happens and people advocate the mass killing of sharks, so is this lemming mentality that all rules must be followed to the letter because they are there in the road code or GOD will smite you and or the cops will send you to Casuarina until you have repented
I am confused. Are you suggesting that we should kill cyclists OR do you only have the intelligence of a shark? Please advise.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Aaaand if we can't find our way back on topic very very soon, fixed may well get his wish.

Your call, ladies and gentlemen.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:57 pm

my point was City just as one shark attack brings out the mentality that killing all sharks is a "solution" to a problem irrespective of other consequences so does one accident bring about a plethora of useless laws which do nothing but ameliorate the concience of a bunch of lemming bureaucrats, who see more laws piled on top of each other to be a "solution" to the problem.
Pretty soon virtually everything becomes illegal, thats why we in this state are one of the most over legislated states in South East Asia and Id throw some of Europe in there as well.

I thought that you would understand the metaphor even if its a bit mixed but clearly I was mistaken.

PS thanks waramat - this discussion should be in an unaccusatorial vein but clearly some ops cant handle it.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:55 am

Thoglette wrote:
rambler1au wrote: What ever happened to using your common sense whilst riding and being observant of the situation you are in whilst on a bike or is there no room for that in the government gazette rule book.
Sorry, 56 in a school zone is not "common sense". (And yes, I have down hill school zones on my commute)

I'm really struggling to think of a situation where riding the wrong way on a one way street is common sense. Mostly it's action of a self centered idiot.

Stop handing them the stick
Trying to keep this on topic - if you don't like what's on the Govt Gazette write to your politician. Write to your paper. And harass your local radio jock. Rant at your neighbours. Badger people at BBQs.

I'm currently working on a) riding on footpaths for the over twelves and b) rail line to the airport.

Do politics before politics does you.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:44 am

Thoglette wrote:I'm currently working on a) riding on footpaths for the over twelves and b) rail line to the airport.
i'd sign those petitions.
inflammatory statement or idea

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 am

Lizzy wrote:Gah, brilliant, now PerthNow has a poll up asking whether cyclists "should" be subject to the same laws as motorists :roll: :roll:

Cripes, how is that something to agree or disagree with, surely it's something to look up?! I think I would pay someone actual money to write me a blocker for the comments section of that excuse for a news source.

[head>>>desk]
Point well put.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:13 am

Baalzamon wrote:And if cyclist is on drops and then moves off the drops, that will change the speed as well as they have mostly hit the helmet then hitting the chest.. That is why a GPS is good. They fine you, you get home and check the speed and don't pay and take it to court with your proof.
With the proviso you can only trust the reading if you can also state (and back up) that your speed was consistent over a respectable interval either side of the radar reading. Unless you have one that logs point-to-point time and position I can't see how you can satisfactorily demosnstrate that to the court any more satisfactorily than giving your word. You could just as strongly give your word that you were not speeding in the first place.

I occasionally enter the Polly Pipe (Polly Farmers tunell) at a slightly slower speed than I intend driving it, speed up to my intended speed and then see what supersonic speed the GPS is gonna report as I exit 1.7km later. :D
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 am

trailgumby wrote:This is purely apocryphal, but I did hear once upon a time that in Italy the fine was proprortional to the value of your car. However, given that fines used to be settled in cash directly with the policeman at the time of infringement, this may not have been - ahem - official policy. ;)

Maybe something like that could operate here :mrgreen:
I am not sure if there is just a touch of seriousness to your proposal. But I think it merits some discussion so I've started a thread at http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 47#p764947

I trust that you do not object to me crediting your eminent intellect in the thread title. :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:And if cyclist is on drops and then moves off the drops, that will change the speed as well as they have mostly hit the helmet then hitting the chest.. That is why a GPS is good. They fine you, you get home and check the speed and don't pay and take it to court with your proof.
With the proviso you can only trust the reading if you can also state (and back up) that your speed was consistent over a respectable interval either side of the radar reading. Unless you have one that logs point-to-point time and position I can't see how you can satisfactorily demosnstrate that to the court any more satisfactorily than giving your word. You could just as strongly give your word that you were not speeding in the first place.
I'm talking about bike specific gps in that you can download and analyse data. btw bike gps can record 1second intervals.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Saw this thread a bit late. I've been pulled for speeding on my Giant Cadex, in Freo, about 20 years ago. There were roadworks and 40km/h signs with one lane closed on a dual carriageway, coned off but with no works in progress at the time. I didn't want to get caught in the single lane holding up traffic, so I went through the remaining lane as fast as I could (on a slight downhill). I was flagged down, but the cop let me off with a warning after a stern talking to (and with a semi smirk on his face). I never asked what speed I was doing, from memory he said I was 'going a bit fast there', but I was too busy doing a Leo W@nker impersonation... :mrgreen: