Sad day - Cyclist killed overnight in Cott

fixed

Re: Sad day - Cyclist killed overnight in Cott

Postby fixed » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Did my standard Saturday ride this morning with my mates. Couldnt help noticing the white paint marks around the site, burnout marks coming from the carpark. My thoughts go out to the family.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 pm

I know a lot of ok guys who are right into cars and driving fast....but seriously, what does Australia lack that its young and not so young have to be so into driving fast on public roads? What is it about hooning and the culture of hotting up cars? Petrol is a limited resource, and should be treated with more respect. And yet, this culture of driving fast in powerful cars seems to be ubiquitous.

Who to blame?
- parents who let their 18-30 yo sons and daughters live at home with no idea of the real cost of living, or sense of responsibility of saving for a home and bred winner status?
- govt, elites, and police who turn a blind eye to hooning because they are fighting over scarce tax resource allocation?
I saw this on the Sunshine Coast for years. Hoons took over the roads Thu-Sat nights and nothing happened for years as the situation escalated to 80-100 cars taking over the roads late at night. Complaints to the police were met with "we'll get a car there as soon as one becomes available".
- a culture of apathy and acceptance of declining general moral standards, and common sense, as Australians struggle with knowing how to behave and what is acceptable in a "multicultural society". I can't help but think if we stand for everything, we stand for nothing.

Honestly, evermore frequently, I want to pack my bags and move to Belgium, or Switzerland, or somewhere where people have a frontal lobe that rules their impulsivity, rather than vice versa.

I honestly struggle to understand how Australia thinks it has any culture let alone many.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Paw Paw

I'm with you. I visit Europe every 2-3 years and a big part of me wishes I lived there. People seem more civilised, educated and aware of history. I rarely see drunks on the street, even at 2am (except in the UK and Ireland). Perhaps when people moved to New World countries they lost that appreciation of history. And drivers are much more aware of cyclists, and their on road behaviour seems to indicate their acknowledgement of cyclists' right to be on the road.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this cyclist. It's a terrible tragedy.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Oxford wrote:for a variety of reasons, health and image for my kids mainly, I just stopped drinking alcohol. I find it very easy to calculate my BAC as a result. I cannot fathom why people see a need to drink and then drive a vehicle. pick one, not both.(
Me too. I haven't cut it out completely yet, but I'm getting there. And now that I do it so infrequently, when I do have a glass of wine, I can really tell the next day. I hate not waking up as 'fresh' as possible.

As for DUI laws, my uncle in Scotland was done once and lost his licence for TEN years. And he was not a repeat offender as he lived in Australia for twenty years before that and had just returned to the UK. I do assume, though, that he was very drunk, hence the severity. That's what we need here - severe consequences.

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:23 pm

PawPaw wrote:Honestly, evermore frequently, I want to pack my bags and move to Belgium, or Switzerland, or somewhere where people have a frontal lobe that rules their impulsivity, rather than vice versa.
I've said the same sort of thing many many times before both on this forum, and to my friends and family. It's a pretty dire situation in Australia if you're a vulnerable road user (heck, it's dire even if you are a sensible, law abiding motorist - being in a car doesn't stop you from being injured/killed by other motorist's poor behaviour). I know that cycling has become more popular in Australia and things have improved over the past few years, but we still have a looong way to go before we even come close to reaching levels of road safety as seen in countries like The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany et al. Quite simply our 'culture' has too much inertia to change for the better, as you said this sort of behaviour has almost become accepted and normal for many people.

I actually am planning to leave Australia in the short-medium term future (2-5 years) as I hate the idea that choosing to ride a bicycle for transport and recreation puts me at such a higher risk of injury/death than if I joined the masses and drove a car. The biggest thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of employment opportunities in most of Europe in most industries/sectors right now.. this may improve in the next few years, or it may get worse. As I am straight out of Uni and still relatively inexperienced I found that no places in Europe would even look at my CV just yet - they have enough young, educated and keen locals lining up at the door already! But as soon as I organise a job I'll be out of here. I would prefer to earn less and live a more modest life over there and feel/be safe on the roads and on my daily business, than have more money and work here but wonder if I will make it home each time I cycle to work.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Tragic circumstances, no laws would save you in this situation.

Why do I feel that contacting my local MP's in Sydney is a complete waste of time.

Sometimes you just want to bang your head on a brick wall. It feels like the answer is so simple but the powers that be are not interested in them, too unpopular on talk back radio. Parking spaces are more important than cyclists lives in Sydney.

:(
JM

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Condolences to his family & friends. Very tragic :( :(

My Wife often commutes back home on this road.

It's time for the PSP that we should have had years ago - all of the way to Perth to Freo.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:10 pm

cavebear2 wrote:It's time for the PSP that we should have had years ago - all of the way to Perth to Freo.
Mosman Park for it's part is proposing to complete their section in 2028! Cottesloe have no plan as far as I'm aware, Nedlands is clueless. The only councils to contribute in any meaningful way to getting cyclists safely from Perth to Freo via the western suburbs are Subiaco and Claremont. Does anybody know when the restoration of the Leighton Railway land is due to commence? IIRC those works are supposed to move Curtin Ave/Port Beach Road adjacent to the railway (as has been done by North Freo Station) and presumably they would incorporate a reasonable on road cycle lane as well as improved PSP.
As others have noted infrastructure is only part of the problem. Attitudinal change on the part of motorists is essential. Mandatory periodic retesting would go a long way to keeping drivers abreast of changes in legislation and also help underline the responsibility that goes with a licence. From the number of "E's" I'm seeing affixed to vehicles I get the sense that the granting of extraordinary licences is on the rise again... that practice should just be abolished.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 pm

RobertFrith wrote:From the number of "E's" I'm seeing affixed to vehicles I get the sense that the granting of extraordinary licences is on the rise again... that practice should just be abolished.
+1

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:30 pm

What's even scarier than them granting the E lic is when you lose your lic as I did some years ago and you serve the penalty they just give it back to you with NO retraining or evaluation of your performance NOTHING! I was shocked when they told me that.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Becker_11 wrote:What's even scarier than them granting the E lic is when you lose your lic as I did some years ago and you serve the penalty they just give it back to you with NO retraining or evaluation of your performance NOTHING! I was shocked when they told me that.
Licences are only suspended, not taken away. A big mistake. In other countries, when your licence is taken away you reenter the system as a novice driver and you have to pass the complete test again. In some countries, when a person had the licence taken away more than once they have to undergo psychological assessment to establish if they understand their responsabilities on the road. The BTA has been voicing concerns about the lack of driver education to the RAC and the Road Safety Council.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:47 pm

On the surface it sounds like a good idea that if you loose your license you should have to start again from learner, I wonder why this isn't done other than the massive motorist rage it would generate. IMO if you go so far that you loose your license you should have to prove that you deserve one if you want it back when you're able to apply for it, driving is supposed to be a responsibility, not a right.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 am

AndrewBurns wrote:On the surface it sounds like a good idea that if you loose your license you should have to start again from learner, I wonder why this isn't done other than the massive motorist rage it would generate. IMO if you go so far that you loose your license you should have to prove that you deserve one if you want it back when you're able to apply for it, driving is supposed to be a responsibility, not a right.
I note that you preface with "on the surface" implying a superficial justification only. I'd go along with that.

The training needs of a totally new-to-driving learner is far different than for an established driver regardless of the idiocy of the driver. We have a whole tedious but useful process for bringing up the skills of the newby. Experienced but irresponsible drivers are not likely to benefit much at all from going thru the process again. A far more useful thing would be some form of retraining or attitude adjustment that is specific to such drivers.

If taking the pov that losing the license demonstrates lack of basic skills (which I do not see) then I 'd have to apply the same logic to the Perth cyclist that was booked for speeding. Many found it unfair that he would be hit with demerit points but the same case for incompetence could be leveled in that case as it could for drivers. Ergo demerit point penalty is reasonable.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Police still appealing for witnesses;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-16/p ... section=wa

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 am

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 pm

It is sad we have to have a memorial to a fallen cyclist...but I'm glad one has been created..hopefully motorists who see it will have get a sharp reminder to watch out for vulnerable road users.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 am

The white bike is a powerful reminder of this tragedy. The concept of white bikes as a memorial to killed cyclists is strong in New York and London.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:23 am

CycleSnail wrote:The white bike is a powerful reminder of this tragedy. The concept of white bikes as a memorial to killed cyclists is strong in New York and London.
Yes they are a powerful reminder and I fully support them but that one sends a shiver up my spine when I ride pass it ... so close to home :(

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Drink driver pleads guilty to causing death of cyclist Tim Anderson - details on ABC news
via http://twitter.com/JoannaMenagh

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 pm

More at the ABC

A 28-year-old Perth man has pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of a cyclist in Cottesloe last month.

Ross Thomas Murray was under the influence of alcohol when he hit Tim Anderson, 26, on Curtin Avenue.

Mr Anderson was riding home after training for a charity ride.

Murray failed to stop but was arrested a short time later.

Murray has been released on bail until he is sentenced in the District Court later this year.

At least he didn't put the family through a fight over the charges.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:06 pm

More details/beefer report anyway in The West.

Murray pleaded guilty to aggravated dangerous driving causing death and failing to stop after the crash on March 8 on Curtin Avenue. The court was told the death charge was aggravated because Murray's alcohol consumption made him incapable of properly controlling the vehicle. Murray did not enter pleas to his other charges of failing to render assistance and driving under the influence...Murray, who faces a maximum 20-year jail term after the State Government toughened the penalties for driving death offences last year, will appear in the District Court for a sentence mention in June.

Andrew

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 pm

It is good to see that he had the guts to front up to the charges AND show his face to the public!!
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 pm

We are not getting coverage of this in NSW media - to my knowledge. So please keep us updated.

Killed by a drunk whilst cycling home after training for a charity ride. This is too sad.

Has there been any protest/awareness rides due to this incident?

JM

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Sydguy wrote:We are not getting coverage of this in NSW media - to my knowledge. So please keep us updated.

Killed by a drunk whilst cycling home after training for a charity ride. This is too sad.

Has there been any protest/awareness rides due to this incident?

JM
locally it got a fair deal of predominance and I think most non-riders were sympathetic to the cyclist and down on a motorist doing a runner. I imagine three sentence be of such a size that the sentencing also get a lot if attention. And if it is small that also Garner support.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed May 02, 2012 1:10 pm

From the West Australian

A second man has been charged over the death of City Beach cyclist Tim Anderson.

Major Crash officers have charged a 27-year-old Baldivis man with being an accessory after the fact of dangerous driving occasioning death and accessory after the fact of failing to stop and render assistance.

A 28-year-old man pleaded guilty last month to the hit-and-run and will be sentenced in June.
Mr Anderson was riding home after training for the Albany-to-Perth charity event Ride for Youth about 8pm on March 8 when he was struck from behind on Curtin Avenue by Murray in a Toyota Camry.

The 26-year-old chemical engineer hit the windscreen of the car and was dragged with his bicycle about 50m. Mr Anderson died from his injuries a few hours later in hospital.

The driver, Ross Thomas Murray, fled the scene and abandoned his damaged car more than 1km from where Mr Anderson lay dying. He was arrested soon after.

He faces up to 20 years jail after he pleaded guilty during his first appearance in Perth Magistrate’s Court last month to aggravated dangerous driving causing death and failure to stop.

Murray’s case was automatically sent to the District Court for sentencing under recent changes to traffic laws that dictate that cases of dangerous driving causing death must be dealt with in the higher court.

Police will allege the 27-year-old Baldivis man, who is an associate of Murray’s, was following behind the 28-year-old in his own vehicle at the time of the fatal crash and helped Murray to abandon his damaged car after Mr Anderson was struck.
The 27-year-old will face Perth Magistrates Court on May 22.