Sad day - Cyclist killed overnight in Cott

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 am

Cyclist killed in Cottesloe hit-run
Lucy Rickard
March 9, 2012 - 6:42AM

A cyclist has died after he was allegedly struck by a car in Cottesloe overnight.

It will be alleged the man struck the cyclist near the intersection of Curtin Avenue and Marine Terrace in Cottesloe.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cycli ... 1uo48.html

The cyclist was conveyed to Fremantle Hospital with critical injuries, but he later died.

Police allegedly located a Toyota Corolla abandoned nearby.

Police later located a 28-year-old Watermans man, and he was questioned at Mirrabooka police station before being charged over the death.

The 28-year-old has been charged with aggravated dangerous driving causing death, failing to stop, failing to render assistance and driving under the influence. He is due to appear in court on April 6.

Police have closed Curtin Avenue in Cottesloe between Marine Parade and Leighton Beach Boulevard this morning as investigations continue.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/cycli ... z1oZIH7lLL
Last edited by Becker_11 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

Aushiker

Re: Sad day - Cyclist killed overnight in Cott

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:52 am

Very sad ... ride that road most days :(. There are wide shoulders there as well.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:52 am

Sad news, RIP to the rider.

2 month suspended sentence and $150 fine for the motorist no doubt.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 am

Might be an idea to give mates a call this morning, Deepest sympathies to the riders family, Glad to hear you're alright Andrew.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:00 am

What a crap piece of news to hear about so early in the morning! Especially after all the discussions etc that have been going on recently around the subject of cyclist safety! Condolences to the family RIP....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:03 am

Becker_11 wrote: The 28-year-old has been charged with aggravated dangerous driving causing death, failing to stop, failing to render assistance and driving under the influence. He is due to appear in court on April 6.
A lot of charges there.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:10 am

At least it sounds like they're going to throw the book at the driver this time, if they caught him DUI then they'll probably have a good case to make the charges stick whatever the other evidence they have is.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

Becker_11 wrote:Might be an idea to give mates a call this morning, Deepest sympathies to the riders family, Glad to hear you're alright Andrew.
Thanks.

Andrew

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 am

:( :(
inflammatory statement or idea

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 am

Very sad.
Everyone might note well the need to understand exactly how much alcohol they consume when intending to drive.

I once asked bartenders and waiters/resses over several months, how many standard drinks were in the drinks they were serving me.
I was stunned that around 5 out of 50 could give me a reasonably accurate response.
And amongst friends and acquaintances, it was an even smaller percentage.

The shortcut to calculate no. std drinks of any volume of any beverage is
= litres drunk * % alcoholic content (as whole number) * 0.8
ex.
750 ml bottle of 13% cab sav
= 0.750 * 13 * 0.8 = 7.8

so for a male who drinks one bottle, you'll be DUI if you drive within 7 hours of your first glass.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:48 am

PawPaw wrote:Very sad.
Everyone might note well the need to understand exactly how much alcohol they consume when intending to drive.

I once asked bartenders and waiters/resses over several months, how many standard drinks were in the drinks they were serving me.
I was stunned that around 5 out of 50 could give me a reasonably accurate response.
And amongst friends and acquaintances, it was an even smaller percentage.

The shortcut to calculate no. std drinks of any volume of any beverage is
= litres drunk * % alcoholic content (as whole number) * 0.8
ex.
750 ml bottle of 13% cab sav
= 0.750 * 13 * 0.8 = 7.8

so for a male who drinks one bottle, you'll be DUI if you drive within 7 hours of your first glass.
Even a calculation like that is approximate as it depends on how you physically metabolise the alcohol and can depend on the composition of your body, how often you normally drink etc.

Personally if I'm going to drive I'd never have more than 2 beers and then I'd not drive within an hour of drinking the last one, it's just not worth it for myself and everyone else on the road to be marginal.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:37 am

Dreadful news :cry:
Last edited by Lizzy on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:51 am

Sad news, condolences to his family and friends.

This quote from The West seems to indicate that there might have been some prior aggravation.
Police are appealing for witnesses who might have seen the incident or the men arguing on Marine Parade to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Edit: The printed article states that the argument was between the offender and the driver of another car.
I should know better than to rely on any story in the West on-line.
Last edited by blkmcs on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

fixed

Postby fixed » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Out of respect for the deceased and their family can I please ask that we contain the rage and leave conjecture far away.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Oxford wrote:for a variety of reasons, health and image for my kids mainly, I just stopped drinking alcohol. I find it very easy to calculate my BAC as a result. I cannot fathom why people see a need to drink and then drive a vehicle. pick one, not both.
I have given it away a few times over the last few years, and am also looking at dropping it permanently.
It is money p!$$ed against the wall, empty Calories, a toxin, and time thief.
And for me, 1-2 drinks often increases the urge for another few - the proverbial slippery slope. Often my desire for alcohol is satiated by cordial or water and a good square meal.

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Very sad ... ride that road most days :(. There are wide shoulders there as well.

Andrew
I don't ride there everyday, but will quite often will ride along Curtin Ave and then into North Fremantle or turn around at the roundabout and go home either along Curtin Ave or Marine Terrace. I always thought it was a good road to ride because of the wide shoulders.

Very sad news indeed. :cry:

Condolences to his family...
i love my bike(s)

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:13 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Even a calculation like that is approximate as it depends on how you physically metabolise the alcohol and can depend on the composition of your body, how often you normally drink etc.
Andrew, the calculation itself is quite accurate for calculating number of standard drinks. For absolute accuracy, replace 0.8 with 0.789, the specific gravity of alcohol.

I presume you mean the number of std drinks one can drink over time to stay under 0.05; and agree this is variable based on body weight and the liver's trained capacity to metabolize alcohol. However, I don't know any drinkers who know how many std drinks they can have per hour to stay under 0.05.

northboy

Postby northboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Made me feel sick when I heard this on the news this morning. Not a regular route for me but have ridden it many times none the less. Make sure I will give the kids and extra kiss before bed tonight.

Feel for his family.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:53 pm

I hate that piece of road. I feel sorry for the family of the cyclist.

The proposal to have a PSP to Fremantle was part of the 1996 bike plans.... and there is plenty of space on that verge, nothing stopping it being built (except political will). Things get a bit trickier closer to Fremantle. Seperate infrastructure on a busy stretch like Curtin Avenue is the correct, and urgent, solution for safe cycling. The one meter passing distance is relevant for "normal" streets where it is impractical, too costly or insufficent cycling volumes to have seperate infrastructure.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Best wishes to family and friends - sickening news indeed.

Each car that you hear approaching from behind you may have a driver under the influence of a banned or controlled substance.

No 1 metre passing law or punishment will stop this from happening, humans are prone to making terrible decisions.

Everyone stay safe and let us hope we are all around to moan about near misses for a long time to come.

Safe riding,
JM

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:Very sad ... ride that road most days :(. There are wide shoulders there as well.
Wide shoulders that are regularly driven on - there are no rumble strips or kerbs keeping the cars out of the bike lane and the shared path (which is definitely low speed) is currently closed due to construction works.

Now is the time to write to the paper, the minster for transport or your local member demanding one or more of the below

* absolute liability for motorists
* manslaughter charges for motorists who kill
* a required meter of space when passing cyclists
* the ability to ride on paths for the over twelves (sub 15kph)
* completion of the PSP from Perth to Freo
* crack down on cars in cycle lanes, plus advertising on media (drifting drivers are dangerous)
* rumble strips on left turns on cycle lanes

Frankly, the cycle lane at Montesorri school needs concrete kerbs separating the cars from the cycle lane - I either drive or ride along there every day and it's a worry
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Im surprised, and a little disappointed there's not been anything from the myriad of peak bodies representing cyclists from this considering the flogging we've been taking in the media lately.
Its a perfect opportunity road push the 1m rule and more infrastructure. Not that it isn't terrible what has happened but at least this way some good might come of it.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

fixed

Postby fixed » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Pravda wrote:Im surprised, and a little disappointed there's not been anything from the myriad of peak bodies representing cyclists from this considering the flogging we've been taking in the media lately.
Its a perfect opportunity road push the 1m rule and more infrastructure. Not that it isn't terrible what has happened but at least this way some good might come of it.

On behalf of BTA I will be speaking to Channel 7 this afternoon. I have also posted on the 720ABC Facebook
I also heard Jeremy Murray from BWA talking to ABC720 this morning.
BTA have been hammering 1m passing distance for the past twelve months through the Office of Road Safety OLA process and through the PerthNow website
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm

From the ABC website

Puts the location in perspective.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:21 pm

fixed wrote:On behalf of BTA I will be speaking to Channel 7 this afternoon. I have also posted on the 720ABC Facebook
I also heard Jeremy Murray from BWA talking to ABC720 this morning.
BTA have been hammering 1m passing distance for the past twelve months through the Office of Road Safety OLA process and through the PerthNow website
Good work Fixed.

Andrew