Shared Path near Glendalough Station-something is happening

rolandp

Shared Path near Glendalough Station-something is happening

Postby rolandp » Wed May 02, 2012 12:07 am

This morning, normal morning at this location:

Today, several signs have gone around this area:
Note the number of cars parked 'illegally' as a result of these signs.

My concern is that this area will be used for Main Road vehicles or material for the freeway expansion announced last month. If so, will this have any impact on the shared path (either by the expansion, or by materials/contractors/vehicles left at this location). Note sent off to Main Roads asking for clarification on what is occuring as I couldn't locate anything on the web tonight.

Got to feel sorry for the 30-odd cars which no longer will have free car-parking at this area, not - use public transport to get to this station, and yes car plate number 1DIS 461, I did notice that you had parked on the exit path at this location.

Aushiker

Re: Shared Path near Glendalough Station-something is happen

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 03, 2012 11:24 am

That is interesting as I wouldn't have thought Main Roads had any authority there, rather this is a local government responsibility. Also if they where using it for dumping or holding materials I would have thought the open space on Powis Street would have been more suitable.

Will watch this with interest.

Andrew

redned

Postby redned » Thu May 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Free parking?

What will they think of next?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 09, 2012 1:08 am

Still waiting for a reponse from Main Roads relating to this area, but in the interium, some poor parking resulted in:
Image Image

Or maybe it was the strong winds last night.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 am

Still have not got confirmation from Main Roads what is occuring at this area. The Westindicates this morning:
The Mitchell Freeway traffic bridges over Powis and Vincent streets and Scarborough Beach Road will also be widened.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

I had one of the train station park and ride commuters parked drive right up onto the path with no other sign of life once as I was going by. Fright of life for a moment.
My thought was whoever owns the land not formalising it as parking, or not as parking, is encouraging it as parking by inaction.
Once bitten twice shy, another register of hazards the brain checks for.

I like the poor foundation sign... usually a bag of concrete rather than a hand-bag of concrete is needed to keep it stuck in sand like that.

Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:11 pm

So I was getting a haircut at lunchtime today, and whilst waiting was reading the Stirling Times in the Barbershop.

Apparently this is all to do with the crackdown on illegal parking - maybe something to do with the City of Stirling planning to put in paid parking staion(s) at the Herdsman Business District and all the local workers kicking up a stink about paying $5 a day.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi Phil, don't think so, as the signs are marked as 'Main Roads', where as the Herdsman Business District parking changes, is City of Stirling.

I got an apology e-mail from MainRoads (again) indicating that the officer responible for the area should be responding to my request for information soon.

Also reported that one of the 'No parking' signs is now pointing at a 45deg angle.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:05 am

rolandp wrote:Hi Phil, don't think so, as the signs are marked as 'Main Roads', where as the Herdsman Business District parking changes, is City of Stirling.

I got an apology e-mail from MainRoads (again) indicating that the officer responible for the area should be responding to my request for information soon.

Also reported that one of the 'No parking' signs is now pointing at a 45deg angle.
I hope you are you not dealing with a certain "David" at Main Roads call centre.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 am

Aushiker wrote:
I hope you are you not dealing with a certain "David" at Main Roads call centre.

Andrew
No, haven't come across this one. Generally I get quick responses back from the call centre (ie I generally get a response back quickly with a reference number), but then it is some times the wait, whilst the message goes up the chain and the officers with the imformation who don't respond back. You then have to contact the call centre again, who can only indicate that they will let the officer know (again). And the circle of life goes on.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 am

rolandp wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
No, haven't come across this one. Generally I get quick responses back from the call centre (ie I generally get a response back quickly with a reference number), but then it is some times the wait, whilst the message goes up the chain and the officers with the imformation who don't respond back. You then have to contact the call centre again, who can only indicate that they will let the officer know (again). And the circle of life goes on.
That is better than the response I got from David ... mind you the issue went up the ladder eventually and got fixed. Haven't dealt with David since so don't know if he had a change in attitude or not.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:04 am

Opening up a old topic and a recap:
2012-this was actually storage for the widening of the freeway to install an additional lane on the Scarborough Beach Rd, so that there is a dedicated exit lane to Hutton St-seems to be the trend as additional millions are being spent on additional dedicated lanes this year - you can 'play spot the difference' for the Hay St and Karrinyup Rd exit lanes, which personally, I thought already have dedicated exit lanes, as did Hutton St, but this is off topic
At the same time, from around 2012 until 2014 City of Stifling was undertaking parking management strategy which resulted in parking meters being installed at this location.

Both of the above then started correspondence with Mainroads, as their work resulted in fencing being located 0cm from the PSP, and City of Stirling whose parking meters were installed around 20cm from the PSP, which are both in breach of AusRoads guidelines.

MainRoads resolved theirs by painting a white line to show the edge of the PSP, City of Stirling resolved theirs by writing back to me indicating they were not going to move the parking machines but the revenue generated by these machines would be used on projects including cycling infrastructure. If you are a regular user of this PSP, you may have noticed that the number of cars parking on the road went significantly down once the parking machines were installed, so would be very interested in how much revenue was generated.

I then used these cases in a letter to the Minister of Transport last year, also pointing out that this section was identified in the 1996 Bike Plan and again in the latest WABNP, and when will this section be improved , whose office, basically thanked me for the letter.

Late last week, the parking meters were removed, a section to the south was fenced off and now houses large construction machines.

So, the question again is asked, what is happening at this location. Email already sent off to COS, let's hope it is the long awaited Hutton St to Powis St implementation which was identified in the 1996 Perth Bike Plan - someone has to remain positive that this will occur.