WA Bike Plan announcement 06 May 2012

CycleSnail

Re: WA Bike Plan announcement 06 May 2012

Postby CycleSnail » Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 am

I would like to encourage all the people riding bicycles in WA to read the WABN plan and to provide feedback. The last time an overall plan for cycling in WA was published was in 1996.

I have put a draft of our feedback to the West Australian Bike Network Plan on our website. Feel free to comment, and/or, more importantly, use some of the material to help you formulate your own response.

I have also posted the comments made at the feedback session on Saturday 5.5.12, as well as the presentations given by MainRoadsWA that day.

And ... I have updated my little comparison of the money suggested in the WABN and the recent announcement on money for cycling in the next couple of years.

Is there a life beyond updating the BTA website and the BTA Facebook pages (used for quick updates on a broader range of subjects than WA transport cycling) ?
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri May 18, 2012 3:02 pm

That draft feedback is very good Cyclesnail, very constructive.

And thanks also for going over the figures again. I've updated the graph with costings breakdown; PSP funding, PBN Grants, RBN Grants, and CBD specific funding:
Note: I have included the CBD cycling network funding from the anti-congestion plan announced on 21/4/12. $7.5m over 4 years, with no yearly breakdown as yet announced, so the funding has been distributed evenly over 4 years ($1.875m/year).

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri May 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Great graph. Thanks for putting this together.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 pm

From the POST May 19, 2012, page 19

The Cyclists’ Action Group has commended the state government for putting millions into bicycle transport. G r o u p p r e s i d e n t B r u c e Robinson said the money would help the Perth-Fremantle cycleway. This week Transport Minister Troy Buswell and Treasurer Christian Porter said $20 million would be spent over two years to improve and increase bicycle networks. “This funding boost will enable relatively large sections of principal-shared paths to be constructed, whereas this has previously been done on a kilometre by kilometre basis,” the ministers said. The Fremantle rail path from Shenton Park station to Loch Street station, and from Grant Street station to Marine Parade, will get some of the money.Mr Robinson said: “Less than half the 19km of the cyclepath along the railway line has been completed so far, and the budget provides for completion as far as the Beehive Montessori School, but not the remaining 20% into Fremantle. “The Perth-Fremantle cycleway is important as there are 11 secondary schools along or close to the railway line. “The school-time congestion on Stirling Highway could be significantly reduced if more students were able to ride safely and conveniently to school, rather than being taken by car. ”Mr Robinson said trying to cure traffi c congestion by widening highways was ruinously expensive and self-defeating, as wider roads just generated more car trips.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Submissions to WA Bike Network Plan are due in today. My submission can be located here.

BTA's submission can be found on BTA's Website.

If anyone else is aware of any other submissions, please post them up as well.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Can't access your comments rolandp.

All sorts of violations and illegal messages too!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am

Weird, have also posted it up on BTAs website, as well as City of Joondalups response.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

rolandp wrote:Weird, have also posted it up on BTAs website, as well as City of Joondalups response.
It can be opened from the BTA link but not from the link you posted above.

A lot of work in that submission Roland, thanks for the effort.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Its arrived, the WA Bicycle Network Plan 2014-2031 has actually been published. Having a new minister wouldn't have anything to do with it now would it?

Press Release here

WABNP is here.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Good find Andrew.

The document has been partially rewritten to take on board changes (ie MAX) and feedback from the public and others.

It still does not provide a timeframe and I could only locate:
The seven priority links within 15 km of the Perth CBD will be completed within the next decade and an indicative implementation plan for the design and construction of the PSP projects will be developed and made available on the DoT website

Has funding been approved? For example Local Government Gants in the approved document indicates:
An estimated $2 million allocation will be required on an annual basis.

For 2014-15, only $1.33M will be awarded of which $100k is to go to Connecting Schools.

The northern PSP, is still reliant on the Stirling Alliance, and in the two years since the draft WABNP was released, I'm not too sure how far the Stirling Alliance has progressed, so, if this is delayed or not approved, what will happen to the Northern PSP?
Several sections of the existing path are constructed from concrete and are in poor condition. Consequently, cycling numbers on this section of path are less than half those for a comparable PSP section on Kwinana Freeway, despite a larger residential catchment surrounding the Mitchell Freeway.
This is a real missed opportunity to double numbers in this area.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:36 pm

Just build it already.

Seriously, what's $50 million in the scheme of things.

geez!!

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Roland said:
The northern PSP, is still reliant on the Stirling Alliance
As far as I am aware the Stirling Alliance has been terminated by the departure of the state government involvement.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks CityWomble, that would explain why I haven't heard anything on Stirling Alliance. The section relating to northern PSP and WABNP below:
No provision has been made for structures beneath Cedric Street due to infrastructure timeframe requirements for the Stirling Regional Centre being unclear at this stage. This situation will be reviewed as planning for the area evolves. However, it is recognised that a grade-separated facility at Cedric Street will be required in the future.
So, no Hutton St improvements in the approved WABNP, shouldn't this section have been adjusted in the WABNP, if it is clear that Stirling Alliance was not going ahead?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:24 pm

Roland,

I am aware that MRWA have produced concept plans for a new PSP section south of Hutton which will resolve the Hutton Street crossing connecting to Telford Crescent PSP. This is not dependant on any Stirling City Centre (SCC) progress.

It is possible that the final document is not fully in synch with all of the PSP improvements. It is only the grade separation at Cedric Street which would be inhibited by SCC.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 pm

The WA Bike Network Plan page was update today and provides some dates for projects listed in the WABNP:
The PSP priorities over the period 2013/14 to 2016/17 are:

Projects designed and to be commenced in 2014.
•Kwinana Freeway (Mill Point Road to Thelma Street) – upgrade commenced.
•Perth-Midland rail line (Bassendean Station to Success Hill Station) - new path to be commenced shortly.
•Kwinana Freeway (Scandrett Way to London Way) - new path.
•Mitchell Freeway (Erindale Road to Balcatta Road) - new path.

Projects designed and to be commenced from 2015
•Perth-Midland rail line( Guildford Station to Morrison Road) - new path.
•Perth-Fremantle rail line (Loch Street Station to Shenton Park Station) -new path.
•Mitchell Freeway (Karrinyup Road to Erindale Road) - new path.

Design development for the PSP program is well underway, with the main focus being concept design, detailed design and initiation of pre-construction activities. The design work is being completed for all of the priority PSP projects planned for delivery up to 2023.

The Perth CBD Transport Plan priorities are:
•CBD, PSP, Arena West: Completed.
•Barrack Street, On Road Lanes Riverside Drive to St Georges Terrace: Second half of 2014.
•Roe Street/Railway, Road PSP extension, Lake Street to Thomas Street: 2015/16 to 2016/17.

Major regional priorities are (through Regional Bicycle Network grants):
•Busselton/Dunsborough, Shared Path 1.2km’s north of Dunsborough to Dunsborough (completed staged path construction that started in the 1980’s): Path opened on 16 March 2014.
•Albany, On road and off road, Various locations: 2013/14 to 2014/15.

JBark

Postby JBark » Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 am

rolandp wrote:•Kwinana Freeway (Scandrett Way to London Way) - new path.
Good to see that section is getting replaced, it's completely wrecked after they drove over it with heavy equipment during the freeway widening.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 07, 2014 2:21 pm

JBark wrote:
rolandp wrote:•Kwinana Freeway (Scandrett Way to London Way) - new path.
Good to see that section is getting replaced, it's completely wrecked after they drove over it with heavy equipment during the freeway widening.
Fingers crossed they remove the road sections and it's path completely.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed May 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Those two sections on the Mitchell PSP are some of the better stretches. Admittedly Gribble Road is a steep climb and the NIMBY's dont like us on their road but other than that I would have thought there were more important bits to work on like: Hutton St intersection, Karrinyup Road intersection, Cedric St crossing, Ossie Park and all the side roads to cross, the rough-as concrete section south of Greenwood station up to the bridge over the Mitchell...

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 pm

rolandp wrote:

Oooh so is this a bit of PSP to replace the Gribble road detour?

(Edit - yes, just saw the Gribble Rd thread)

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed May 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Yes it is.

Notice of imminent commencement has already been received by local residents and an announcement is expected very soon. Information already in the public domain suggests that works may even commence this month.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 07, 2014 9:57 pm

BrownBike wrote:
rolandp wrote:

(Edit - yes, just saw the Gribble Rd thread)
The first one is Gribble Rd section.

The second one is further south (ie from Karrinyup Rd). It will be interesting to see if this provides grade separation under/over Karrinyup Rd as part of this work. There was also talk of locating PSP to east side of Freeway for this section. Citywomble do you know?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Roland,

As a consultee I know more than I can say given it is not in the public domain.

I will check whether I can comment further on this.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:18 pm

worzel wrote:Those two sections on the Mitchell PSP are some of the better stretches. Admittedly Gribble Road is a steep climb and the NIMBY's dont like us on their road but other than that I would have thought there were more important bits to work on like: Hutton St intersection, Karrinyup Road intersection, Cedric St crossing, Ossie Park and all the side roads to cross, the rough-as concrete section south of Greenwood station up to the bridge over the Mitchell...
Having to look up the definition of NIMBY I stumbled on this relevant article to state planning.

"The triumph of the NIMBY in urban planning" 1 December 2011
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3704744.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worzel

Postby worzel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:34 am

worzel wrote:Those two sections on the Mitchell PSP are some of the better stretches. Admittedly Gribble Road is a steep climb and the NIMBY's dont like us on their road but other than that I would have thought there were more important bits to work on like: Hutton St intersection, Karrinyup Road intersection, Cedric St crossing, Ossie Park and all the side roads to cross, the rough-as concrete section south of Greenwood station up to the bridge over the Mitchell...
I think I need to retract the comment about the stretch from Karrinyup Road to Gribble Road being one of the best. It is long and straight but presumably due to the rain it is now clear they just laid red bitumen over the old concrete slabs and now there is a bone-jarring hump every 2 metres where they have risen.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:58 am

Glad you did as:
Principle Shared Path Maintenance – is enough being done?
was based around that section:
and have the following response from DoT back in June 2012:
The Cycling and Pedestrian Co-ordinator has investigated the section of Principle Shared Path (PSP) north of Karrinyup Road and it has been determined that the surface is not a maintenance issue but a new path would be required. This section of PSP has already been identified as a priority in the WA Bicycle Network Plan 2012 – 2021 with the ultimate alignment for a new PSP through that section being on the east side of the Mitchell Freeway.

Kind regards,
Office of the Director General
Department of Transport

Two years on, and we still have to wait until at least 2015 before it is replaced.

BikeWest also has an article on 'The People behind Western Australia’s Bicycle Network Plan'.