Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Aushiker

Re: Perth to Freo PSP goings on

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the update Rob. That is not looking good at all :(

Any BicyclingWA members here? Maybe you could could contact them and ask what they are going to do to try and get his approach changed.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

It is my understanding that the existing road stays and be available to people on bicycles
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Repurposing existing infrastructure sounds reasonable I guess, even attractive. The devil will be in the detail no doubt. Seems odd that the Cottesloe council working group wouldn't be aware of it. Do you have any reference for this plan Heinrich?
Last edited by hiflange on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:56 pm

.... sorry, it came up in conversation with a politician .... so how much truth is in it I do not know.....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:19 pm

CycleSnail wrote:It is my understanding that the existing road stays and be available to people on bicycles
The discussion prior to the election was the road stayed as an access road to the beach ... cannot see it suddenly becoming a cycle path. Furthermore there still needs to be access to the carparks and beach anyway.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 pm

An updated from Dwight our friendly traffic engineer at City of Fremantle.

Dwight had a chat to Main Roads WA and he advises that the "facts are" as follows:

* Very basic design was shown with a cross section of the road and alignment
* There is a 5 metre reserve set aside for cycling facilities in the cross section via extra wide sealed shoulders
* No confirmation on whether the cycle facilities will be off road or on road (a dedicated off road would be ideal).

from a previous meeting involving Cottesloe, Mosman and Fremantle with MRWA, the preliminary design should be completed by July next year. The interim period should see additional stakeholder engagement (LGA's).

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 am

Seeing that road would become solely a road for beach access, it could reasonable run at 30 kmh ... at that speed it does not matter if there are painted cycle lines or seperate facilities.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Could someone please remind me when it was I stood on Leighton Beach, along with 10,000 other people, protesting the suburb that then deputy premier Barnett wanted to roll out? Oh yeah, that's right, it was 1999. The WA Government seems to have managed flogging the residential component of the marshalling yards and there's this masterplan for the rest that was published in 2007. It even has some road profiles :D
What on Earth is the holdup??

88mph

Postby 88mph » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 am

RobertFrith wrote:Could someone please remind me when it was I stood on Leighton Beach, along with 10,000 other people, protesting the suburb that then deputy premier Barnett wanted to roll out? Oh yeah, that's right, it was 1999. The WA Government seems to have managed flogging the residential component of the marshalling yards and there's this masterplan for the rest that was published in 2007. It even has some road profiles :D
What on Earth is the holdup??
Nice to see that stage 1 of that master plan was followed. What was delivered was a great start to the project, and it's truly a great addition to the area. It's just a shame the apartments were built during the height of the property boom and still haven't (all) sold due to unrealistic prices.

I suspect the major holdup may center around the failed property sales and the still vacant construction site following the GFC. The state government probably want to see stage 1 sold out before releasing stage 2 and 3 etc.

As for using the redundant road as our PSP, I think this option is not going to work - look at what happened to the previous road alignment (none of us use the old road at the moment.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:44 pm

This gets a bit off topic...

Friday night is Post Newspapers night in this household! I kinda sorta thought someone from some arm of government, be it Main Roads, Colon's office, Cott Council, might have maybe bothered to respond to what was front page news last week. Nothing doing I'm afraid.

The Post does however have on p11 a report on the next venture to turn a dollar on the beachfront - graciously the footpath between the ocean and this restaurant will remain in place (though with somewhat reduced visibility!)

The restaurant will be built in the carpark across the road from the Montessori School. Hard to imagine why Mosman Park "invited expressions of interest to develop the land in 2004" but as I recall MP were ploughing their own furrow at that period in their history...

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/editio ... /paper.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After nine years of negotiations, Denis Marshall’s company, Cliveden, will get 1603sq.m of land overlooking Mosman beach to build a restaurant. The development will include public changerooms, toilets and bicycle racks. On Tuesday night, Mosman Park council agreed to grant Cliveden a 21 year lease on land in Mosman Beach Reserve, with an option for another 10 years.
The council invited expressions of interest to develop the land in June, 2004, and accepted Cliveden’s proposal in May the following year. On July 3 this year, Cliveden asked to have the boundaries changed because a Water Corporation easement prevented a 4m strip of land on Curtin Avenue from being used and the ocean side was too steep and expensive to build on.
The eastern boundary will now be extended to 46m and the western boundary to 66m, giving Cliveden a total of 1603sq.m of land.
Four parking bays will be swallowed up by development, but the existing footpath would be kept.
Cliveden will pay for all the surveying costs before the proposal is sent to the Lands Department to finalise excising the land and ministerial approval.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Shenton Park Station to Loch Street Station - Principal Shared Path

We are building approximately 1.5km of new Principal Shared Path (PSP) along the Perth-Fremantle train line to link Shenton Park Train Station with Karrakatta and Loch Street stations. The works include full path lighting.

This project will complete the remaining PSP sections along the Perth Fremantle Line between Perth and the Grant Street Station in Cottosloe and provide a safer alternative for pedestrians and cyclists along this route. The new path will go under the bus bridge through the separate bridge span that was included at the time of the bridge construction to allow for a future path.

Constructed in two stages, this project will start in December 2014 and be finished in 2015.

Stage 1 will link Shenton Park Station with the Karrakatta underpass and includes construction of an additional 120m to link up with the bus bridge. It will also include upgrading of a bus bay and a new bus shelter at the Shenton Park Station. Stage 2 will complete the project from the Karrakatta Station to Loch Street Station.

All construction activity will occur within the existing rail and road reserve along Stubbs Terrace.

Due to the local terrain, several retaining structures will be constructed to provide path grades that comply with mobility standards.
Cost $5 million.

Source: Main Roads

Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:16 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they find a Western Purple-backed Dragon living in the bus bridge underpass and to protect this endangered species a detour will be required pushing the completion out to 2017.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 am

Tydeman Road crossing also got a mention in the RAC Road Infrastructure Survey in the hard copy of The West on Wednesday. This is the first year that I recall that this survey highlighted 'non-motorists' issues recorded, so if someone has a copy (I read it whilst giving blood), it would be worth getting the exact locations mentioned in the article.

Unfortunately the on-line version Carmageddon on WA roads didn't have that section.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 am

rolandp wrote:Tydeman Road crossing also got a mention in the RAC Road Infrastructure Survey in the hard copy of The West on Wednesday. This is the first year that I recall that this survey highlighted 'non-motorists' issues recorded, so if someone has a copy (I read it whilst giving blood), it would be worth getting the exact locations mentioned in the article.

Unfortunately the on-line version Carmageddon on WA roads didn't have that section.
The metro report is here and the regional report is here. Tydeman Road gets a mention on page 12 of the metro report as a member submission.

Andrew

88mph

Postby 88mph » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Riding through Loch St yesterday and across the tracks, there is spray paint all over ground marking out Comms etc.

It's happening :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:51 am

Tydeman Road, Fremantle cycling issues get an airing in the local paper, the Fremantle Gazette
Also high on the list was the need to install a shared path and enforce parking restrictions along Tydeman Road in North Fremantle to improve safety for cyclists.

A spokesman for the Fremantle Bicycle User Group said Tydeman Road was a dangerous mix of trucks, cars and bikes.

“Tydeman Road is a major black spot for all these riders as there is no adequate separation between vehicles heading in and out of the port,” he said.

“The mix of cars and trucks across three lanes on either side of the road seems to encourage an environment of high speed, lane changing and risk taking among drivers without thought for bicycle riders using the road.”
Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:41 pm

More join the dots cycle path work is underway. This will connect Shenton Station and 180m path over the Karrakatta subway.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:09 am

This short stretch of path was completed recently. I've been off the bike for a couple of months due to an injury but I've kept an eye on the works from the train, rode it for the first time today.

I'd love to shower the builders and designers of cycling infrastructure with praise. Sadly this one's a dud. Living in Cott and working in Subi I've been commuting this area for more years than I care to remember. I long ago gave up navigating the mazes and pedestrians at Shenton Station, preferring to use the PSP access point on the south side of Nicholson Road (claiming the lane when city bound!)

There's been a stub of PSP waiting for years to connect to points south and west but it's been ignored. Instead we're STILL expected to mix it with trainloads of kids at rush hour through the mazes. Heading south the new path intersects with a busy pedestrain crossing on Stubbs Tce before passing behind a bus stop.

To add insult to injury any cyclist trying to access the path from Stubbs Tce is met with kerb, for southbound riders there's nowhere between Shenton Station and the approach to the subway roundabout to safely get on the path. In the few minutes I loitered there this evening I saw one rider hop the kerb to get on the path.

I don't know who's responsible for "designing" this mess - Nedlands Council? Main Roads? The cost of involving a cyclist or two would surely be lower than the remedial works they'll have to undertake to make this useable.

below, you can see where you'd expect the path to go... note the bike lockers...

there they are again, circled top right. Pedestrian crossing to Shenton College is circled centre, the bus stop bottom left. The path at some point has been designed to go over the pedestrian access to the station and bypass all three obstacles,

but instead it's turn right and face the maze :-(

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 am

I commute here as well, but i just use the road along this part as there is a decent shoulder and this path is a cluster fk.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 am

RobertFrith wrote:below, you can see where you'd expect the path to go... note the bike lockers...
Apparently an extra $100K to build the flyover was out of the question. Meanwhile the money keeps going down the gurgler at Collin's twin follies - the airport driveway and Liz's swamp
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:09 pm

the complete route to/from Subiaco to Swanbourne along Stubbs is a demonstration in poor planning and execution. It is littered with dangerous blind corners, paths that dump cyclists and pedestrians onto Stubbs, crazy access points, drain covers in the railway station car parks that are just waiting to trap an unsuspecting cyclists front wheel, and mixing cyclists with pedestrians at busy intersections.

I used to use this route probably not appreciating how dangerous it was. :oops: :shock:
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks for the update Robert. I am yet to ride that section since the path opened.
The lack of good road to path (and vice versa) transitions is common across the network. I couldn't believe my eyes to see brand new roundabouts in the northern suburbs built with path bypasses for cyclists that have right-angle kerb ramps that force the riders into the traffic lane when entering/exiting the road. Which morons approve this stuff?

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 pm

wellington_street wrote:Which morons approve this stuff?
As I understand it there's a national shortage of planners. The good/ambitious ones get the high paying jobs for developers and consultant town planners. The jobs available at local government level are not as sought after and the people in them are often overworked. One thing is sure; they don't ride bikes.
wellington_street wrote:The lack of good road to path (and vice versa) transitions is common across the network
Yep, I came a cropper on a "crossing" in Swanbourne in February... the injuries kept me off my bike for over three months, just back this week :-(

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:14 pm

I've been to slack too stop and take a picture over the past few months but the section between the twin roundy rounds of Karrakatta and Loch St Station has just been completed. You can actually ride all the way from Perth to Grant St Cottesloe on a shared path now. Some bits are better than others (understatement) but the piece just completed id pretty nice. I notice they're actually putting in lighting when they build the path now instead of several years later. What will it take for the lighting between Claremont and Grant St to be made right???

Last edited by hiflange on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

방구 똥

Postby 방구 똥 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:07 pm

This morning I was glad to see the barricades removed and I could ride all the way from Subiaco to Grant Street on the path! :)