Pro Bike Fit in Perth?

rabobank89

Pro Bike Fit in Perth?

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Hey guys,

After another knee injury I think it's time I invest in a proper bike fit including cleat fitting.

Where is the best bike shop in Perth (Anywhere NOR or SOR) to get a good bike fit?

:)

mitzikatzi

Re: Pro Bike Fit in Perth?

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Never used them but I looked at this place.
Yes we do the Retul fitting which costs $225
Regards
Al
Al's Cycle Surgery
08-9307 6842
Shop hrs
Tues & Fri 10am - 5.30pm
Wed 10am - 7.30pm
Thur & Sat 10am - 5pm
Review: The Professional Ret?l Bike Fitting Concept

Do a search in the WA forum it has been disscussed a number of times
ie bike fitting?
and
Re: Professional Bike Fitting in Perth: Where/How Much?

logancalder

Postby logancalder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:04 pm

What happened to your knee? Are you looking for a bike fit on a road bike?

If you want an alternative option for a bike fit (rather than a bike shop) have a look at my website. If you think my service is something that would suit you then send me an email and tell me, in detail, about your yourself, your knee injury, the sort of bike you ride, how long you have been riding, if you race etc...

Regards,

Logan

acepfv

Postby acepfv » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Perth Integrated Health Clinic they have rooms in Balcatta and Melville, fitting is done by a qualified physio who is also a rider.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate the recommendations =)

Logan: To answer your question, at this point in time not sure whats wrong with my knee until I see my doctor/physio.. But my left knee aches when I try pedal hard :(

Yes its for a road bike..

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 pm

i would second going to a physio if you can, i can recommend one in scarborough/wembley area if you need

logancalder

Postby logancalder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 pm

acepfv wrote:Perth Integrated Health Clinic they have rooms in Balcatta and Melville, fitting is done by a qualified physio who is also a rider.
PIHC 'fittings' are done by an Occupational Therapist not a Physio. There is a significant difference between the two.

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Bit of an update, as recommended by mitzikatz I used Alan's service at Al's Cycle Surgery for the RETUL bike fit and was very happy with the fit, and adjustments.

I can certainly recomend him to anyone. Now I just need to jump on the bike and see if my knee pain above my patella disappears after the height and cleat adjustment.. * Fingers Crossed.

damonik

Postby damonik » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:12 pm

I, amongst many here recommend Damo Oldmeadow at Physiotherapy Solutions.

He's a top bloke and has done wonders for my bike fit issues.
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:15 am

Guys,

I have used and recommend Logan Calder's bike fit service.

1) awesome prices.
2) personal and proper attention from a cyclist who actually rides for an Aussie pro team.
3) follow up to your fit (ie he doesn't just make a few adjustments, then send you away).
4) top guy.

Logan's a well known, established and respected cyclist here and abroad, so he actually knows what effect and impact on your body that the adjustments do, when related back to how it affects you on a bike.
Not taking anything away from occ therapists, chiros, etc, but I would rather have my adjustments done by someone who's out there every day on his bike, rather than a guy who gets his
results based soley on what he reads from books and journals.

The most reassuring aspect tho is that he offers follow up via text / email / phone etc.
He doesn't just do a fit up, adjust your cleats and send you away, never to be heard of again, he wants feedback so he can make the correct (and final) adjustments.

10 / 10
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm

rabobank89 wrote:Bit of an update, as recommended by mitzikatz I used Alan's service at Al's Cycle Surgery for the RETUL bike fit and was very happy with the fit, and adjustments.

I can certainly recomend him to anyone. Now I just need to jump on the bike and see if my knee pain above my patella disappears after the height and cleat adjustment.. * Fingers Crossed.
So are you fixed ??

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
rabobank89 wrote:Bit of an update, as recommended by mitzikatz I used Alan's service at Al's Cycle Surgery for the RETUL bike fit and was very happy with the fit, and adjustments.

So are you fixed ??
Sorry for the delay..

Update;

I went for a 110km ride on Sunday and there was a significant improvement. Av speed went up dramatically, and most of all my pain subsided quite a fair bit. Granted I still got pain in my knee at around 40km, however previously the pain would kick in severely at 10km, and in this instance the pain is irrelevant as I need to recover and strengthen my muscles around the knee a little more.

Conclusion is yes I'm fixed to an extent. I can say Alan and the RETUL fit is worth the $240 as there were obvious improvements whilst my knee pain being reduced. :)

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 am

Sounds like a bit of a good news story!! Great outcome. You sold all your gear off a while ago is this why ?? Least I think it was you :) :)

MM

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 am

Marty Moose wrote:Sounds like a bit of a good news story!! Great outcome. You sold all your gear off a while ago is this why ?? Least I think it was you :) :)

MM

Indeed I sold a few bikes and gear due to the injury..

AndrewKosasih

Postby AndrewKosasih » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi Logan,

I am interested in a bike fit and i tried to search for your website without any luck. Can i please have your contact details?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

XIX

Postby XIX » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:24 am

I recommend seeing one of the physios.

I went to Horizon but know others who have been to Star. Could not recommend them highly enough for anyone who has physiological issues.

Its important to have someone who understands the issues and limitations of the human body, not just in relation to cycling to treat issues and get the fit right.

If you are not prone to that many issues then it may not be as important.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 am

XIX wrote:I recommend seeing one of the physios.

I went to Horizon but know others who have been to Star. Could not recommend them highly enough for anyone who has physiological issues.
I've used Star Physio in West Perth and they were great .... I had the Full Monty ie. bike posture, pedal/foot pressure while cycling and saddle/sit bones position ... it's worth the cost and it resulted in a more comfortable ride... I ended up tweaking the fit a little bit after riding in the new position for a couple of months (re-positioned the hoods slightly forward and dropped the handlebars by 5mm) but the initial fit really felt comfortable.

Star also took a history of riding and any injuries and gave me a set of exercises to do as I've got a gammy leg from a bike vs car accident.... just look at my avatar!! :D :D :D

Highly recommended.