Mount St Overpass

wellington_street

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby wellington_street » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 pm

That right-angle kerb is ridiculous. It completely ignores all knowledge on cyclist behaviour (i.e. avoid a complete stop as far as possible). Even a 1-2m radius curve would be a huge improvement

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Wait until the next downpour, all that soil and rubble near the sign will flow onto the path.

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:54 pm

The whole thing is a stuff up. The person responsible for this poor piece of public infrastructure planning should hang their head in shame...

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:16 pm

If you enter the PSP to go south the visibility is actually worse from the new entry than the old one. Coming off the the path heading north it is actually quicker to take the original exit, as exhibited when I was re-overtaken by the slow lady I had recently passed coming up the hill when I took the new path and she went the old way. Coupled with the steps leading to the ramp and the whole thing is a mess. Hopefully once the path round to Elizabeth quay reopens I'll go back to going that way

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Payed this a visit today.

Approaching the site coming down the hill:

View from new opening looking up the path:

View from new opening looking down the path:

After a bit of a walk around I found you were able to see a lot more up the path than the previous one. The big grey wall blocks a lot of view with the ol path whereas this new access allows greater vision.

I am expecting some markings on the path in the near future.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:20 pm

Some railing to allow riders to balance and check the path up the hill for traffic would be good. This way you don't have to unclip and try to clip in at low speed when entering the PSP. Ultimately it comes down to a private development being approved that negatively impacts visibility on the PSP and is too close to the PSP, in an already dangerous spot, and public land being freely given away to a private developer without any assessment of the impact to the public facilities. Overall a dismal failure on behalf of the COP.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 am

Hutcho wrote: Overall a dismal failure on behalf of the COP.
The PSP is Main Roads WA and the land that the new section is on is under Main Roads control as well. I think that CoP and Main Roads have been trying to work with the developer in getting the best solution but it is difficult.

You'll find that the issues with the path have held up the licence to occupy the building.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:55 am

Would also have to meet current minimum grades etc for wheelchairs/elderly etc which the old path probably didn't. Its not just cyclist with clipless pedals that use footpaths and psp's :roll: . Looks ok to me......just needs a stop sign

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 pm

I've been away a bit the last couple of months, but I was pretty happy to see this new path being built. However, I'm about 1 from 10 in my attempts at staying in my lane when turning left into that path when coming up the hill! Luckily the only people I've nearly hit were a bunch of joggers using the entire path :wink:

Not many cyclists seem to be using it yet - I've seen quite a few still using the old gate. It'll get interesting when the really nice weather hits and there is a lot more cyclists out and about. I'm also not convinced visibility looking up the hill is any better.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 pm

Agree almost impossible to turn into from the south.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 pm

It matches the hair-pin turn at the northern end and the one at the bottom of the hill heading along Riverside Dr. So one good argue, they have been constant, constantly poor.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 pm

Surely you could provide a reverse argument that it's easier from both directions now. All you have to do is take the easier turn, not keep going at the difficult one!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm

And in the same area:
Perth Council officers to reject Jacob’s ladder curfew and parking limit
But speed bumps will be considered for nearby Mount St to discourage the big number of cyclists using it for training.

The council investigated complaints from West Perth residents unhappy with a big increase in cyclists using the area and noisy joggers spitting and vomiting as they tackle the 242-step Jacob’s ladder.

Could this be part of the reason the entrances are so poor, they don't want us in the area?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:57 pm

Speed humps on the main cycling route into the CBD from the west :roll:

Actually even stupider was the desire to close Jacobs Ladder until 8am. Classic NIMBY rubbish.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:16 pm

I love that street for its climb. Even that cafe at the bottom could be affected.

Oh wait. When I can afford to live there then close Jacobs ladder plus speed bumps on mount street plus close kings park from 10pm to 8am as well [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:21 am

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Council debate tomorrow night and where the prospective Mayoral candidates stand on the issue, particularly as one of them lives in the area and is pro-cyclist.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:37 pm

CoP Agenda for tonight's council meeting:
3.7 immediately engaging cycling clubs and actively discourage informal criterium and time trial activities in Mount Street and requests Officers to investigate potential traffic calming on the northern side of Mount Street to discourage groups of cyclists from using Mount Street as an informal criterium space;

So if you are currently ' informal criterium', then you have been warned.

Also noticed that CoP Bike Implementation Plan includes:
Mount St - On-road cycle lanes Between Cliff St and Milligan St - due 2014/15
Must have got lost in the report, as no mention that this have not been provided, and the City of Perth is meant to be actively promoting cycling in the area, by installing bike lanes (which have not occurred).

And then back to tonight's council meeting:
37A-37C (LOT 51) MOUNT STREET, WEST PERTH – 8-LEVEL RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT CONTAINING 21 MULTIPLE DWELLINGS AND 32 CAR PARKING BAYS
This would be the lot next to Halo-On-Mount, where currently there is a old building. So, expect more interruptions if you are 'informal criterium' on Mount St.

roller

Postby roller » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:13 am

The Mount Street Criterium :lol:

There's an event I would actually love to see, I think an hour long criterium on mount street would be an absorbing contest, only the strongest would survive.

So many tactics could come in to play, go out fast like the hare, or slow and steady like the tortoise.
inflammatory statement or idea

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Any news from the Council meeting? Sinner?

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Almost cleaned up someone yesterday as they were about to turn right down the PSP path.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:01 pm

roller wrote:The Mount Street Criterium :lol:

There's an event I would actually love to see, I think an hour long criterium on mount street would be an absorbing contest, only the strongest would survive.

So many tactics could come in to play, go out fast like the hare, or slow and steady like the tortoise.
I have seen a video of some guys on a bucks night/afternoon doing a pub crawl by bike...they had a few runs up Mount Street all dressed in Fairy costumes and the likes.

Re speed bumps; My work provided 1.4L automatic Getz struggles up that hill. I'd be stuck if there was a speed bump.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:09 pm

dmwill wrote:
roller wrote:The Mount Street Criterium :lol:

I have seen a video of some guys on a bucks night/afternoon doing a pub crawl by bike...they had a few runs up Mount Street all dressed in Fairy costumes and the likes.

Re speed bumps; My work provided 1.4L automatic Getz struggles up that hill. I'd be stuck if there was a speed bump.
My drunk self have struggled up there on foot numerous times. Speed bumps would cause drunk me many issues

giantdefy

Postby giantdefy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:43 pm

these self interested millionaires living on mount street obviously havent heard of the streisand effect

they more they advocate people not using mount street, the more cyclists will discover it and use it to train.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Update from the Lord Mayor:
Jacobs Ladder to remain open, and 'The Lord Mayor said the City was working with cycling clubs to discourage the use of Mount Street for organised activities like time trials.'.

No mention of the missing cycle lanes - must have slipped her mind.

giantdefy

Postby giantdefy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Ha

I bet the residents are pissed the council didn't implement any of their reccommendations