Mount St Overpass

ikm

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby ikm » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 pm

rolandp wrote:Slightly off topic, but at the corner Hay St/Mitchell Fay, the shared path sign has been knocked over and is lying on the shared path. If you are coming from the south, and go quickly around that horrible turn near Parliament House, you may not see the pole on the ground.

Hopefully reported to Main Roads this evening, but their website is playing up.

Pole looked like it was still attached to the ground, so I didn't try to move it (and if I did try may have been too heavy).

This one?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:25 pm

Yes, now moved to the side:

Picking up on eldavo's comment (and appologies if I did not extend my hand out to indicate when I was stopping, as I normally do), it was October 2013, around a week before National Ride to Work Day, and I had contacted Parliament House, as I felt the weeds were a bit excessive along the PSP and in the interest of National Ride to Work Day, could they trim them back:
Didn't hear back from my request, but next day:
The weather was poor and mixing weed matter, rain and additional riders on the PSP as it was also Cycle in Spring occurring, my next request was worded a lot stronger. Surprisingly, again I didn't hear back from them, but it was cleared up that day.

Back on the topic of Mount St/Halo on the Mount, there is loose shade cloth. I thought my video camera was on, so I could have captured it, but am riding that way tomorrow, and will revisit the location, see if they have corrected and if not, report it again to MainRoads (why do I need to do this, and waste government funds sorting out a building companies issue?) if I feel it is safety issue. If you have footage and it is a safety issue, please report it yourself.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 am

Is this crack getting bigger, or is just the way I took the two photos?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 am

The ISO best practice for determining the progress of cracks is Tony Greig's keys in the cricket wicket. Equally able to be applied to driveways, PSP's, and slashed tyres.

(RIP reflection from the 12th Man himself)
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6545787911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS: if the weather is cooling off and the path is contracting, it could be increasing the gap, think of the expansion joints.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Camera crew at this location this evening. I can hope they were filming the lack of visibility around Halo-on-the-Mount, but more likely they were filming the traffic on the freeway or similar.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 am

rolandp wrote:Camera crew at this location this evening. I can hope they were filming the lack of visibility around Halo-on-the-Mount, but more likely they were filming the traffic on the freeway or similar.
Why didn't you stop and ask them.

matthecat

Postby matthecat » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:34 am

They were just doing a story on new double demirit point offences that are being brought in and had some nice background shots of slow moving peak hour traffic in the back-ground.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Close to this location, at the bottom of the hill, in the underpass last night:
Reported to Main Roads, and removed overnight - well done Main Roads.

Really looking forward to Halo on the Mount being completed, but based on their construction page it has been updated in 8 months, so not looking good at keeping us informed when it will be finished.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:20 am

Saw that scooter last week. It's the second in that tunnel in a few months. Most likely stolen.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 am

rolandp wrote:Reponses available from the Cit of Perth Agenda:
Question 1: On 27th January 2011, the Design Advisory Committee recommended changes to setbacks of 31 – 35 (Lot 801) Mount Street, West Perth be submitted for approval to the Council, with setbacks of 0 meters, even though the required/permitted setback is 3 meters, for the Side (East) Basement-Ground. This recommendation was approved by the Council on 22nd February 2011. Now that construction has commenced at this location, sight lines have significantly been reduced.
Could the Council indicate if sight lines have been reduced on the principle shared path at this location as a result of not applying the required/permitted setback of 3 meters?

Response The photograph supplied indicates that distant objects may be partially obscured from view at the location, however the predominant visual barrier at the location is temporary during construction, having been erected to protect the public from materials spilling from the construction site and will be required to remain in place until construction of the building’s exterior is completed. Lower bicycle speeds and heightened rider vigilance are required in this location as the path is steep and shared with pedestrians.

Question 2: How will the Council re-implement the sight lines to allow for safe travel again on the principle shared path at this location?

Response The construction fencing will be removed at the completion of the development, increasing sight lines.

Question 3: In February 2013, the principle shared path at this location was partially closed due to the collapse of a large section of the principle shared path, The principle shared path at this location still has several large cracks today:
Would the damage to the principle shared path at this location have occurred if the Council had not approved the reduction in setbacks from a required/permitted setback of 3 meters and approved this to be 0 meters?

Response As the described event is hypothetical, there can be no definitive (or correct) answer to the question.

Question 4: Who is responsible for the permanent fixing of the principle shared path at this location to remove these cracks, and when will this occur?

Response At the Council meeting held on 18 February 2014 the Chief Executive Officer advised that in relation to the cracking and safety issues an inspection would be carried out the next morning following the meeting date.
The PSP is located within the Freeway reserve and falls under the control and responsibility of Main Roads WA. A Works Bond has been paid to the City by the Builder to cover the repair of any damage to roads within the City’s care and control (Mount Street). If there was evidence provided that the cracks in the PSP were the result of the construction activity on the adjoining site then it might be possible to negotiate for the Builder to undertake the repairs or to use the bond money to cover the works. Otherwise it is MRWA’s responsibility to repair the path if required.

Question 5: Advertising material for this development shows a green wall being built alongside the principle shared path, Has the Council approved this green wall?

Response It is noted that the lower car parking levels have been approved with a nil side setback while the upper residential levels are setback 1.5m from the side (cycle path) boundary.
An extensive green landscaping treatment was approved for the eastern and southern boundary walls. The ‘green wall’ has been designed to step down toward the cycleway in narrow terraces and will be wholly contained within the boundaries of the development site. Therefore there will be no need to relocate the cycle path in order to construct the wall or to install and maintain the plants.

Question 6: Given that there is 0 meters setback from the principle shared path which the Council approved on 22nd February 2011 even though the required/permitted setback is 3 meters, and development has now occurred to that 0 meters setback, how will this green wall be built unless the principle shared path is relocated to accommodate the green wall?

Response The entire development will occur within privately owned property (refer to previous response for further information regarding the ‘green wall’ construction).

Question 7: Could the Council confirm exactly where this green wall is being built?

Response (Refer to response for questions 5 and 6 for further information regarding the ‘green wall’ construction).

Question 8: Could the Council indicate if this green wall will also impact on sight lines at this location?

Response (Refer to responses for questions 1 and 6) The owners of the development will be required to maintain the landscaping so that it does not obstruct the PSP.
A section of this development had the shade cloth removed yesterday, so we can finally see how close to the shared path it has been built:
Pretty sure a solid concrete wall is not going to improve the sight lines compared to the shade cloth, as confirmed by the City of Perth in Response 2.

But don't panic as this will all be resolved I'm sure in Sept-2014 when the project is completed:
Shame it is Nov-2014 already.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:12 pm

They still have to plant all the trees between the building and the PSP to make it look like the brochure :roll:

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:05 pm

This development site doesn't bother me half as much as the blind entry to the path from mount street. It's extremely dangerous. Last night when I passed (I get onto the path at Hay street) there was a traffic jam of cyclists waiting to turn onto the path.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Karati wrote:This development site doesn't bother me half as much as the blind entry to the path from mount street. It's extremely dangerous. Last night when I passed (I get onto the path at Hay street) there was a traffic jam of cyclists waiting to turn onto the path.
+1, this is more of an issue.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Karati wrote:This development site doesn't bother me half as much as the blind entry to the path from mount street. It's extremely dangerous. Last night when I passed (I get onto the path at Hay street) there was a traffic jam of cyclists waiting to turn onto the path.
The development is responsible for the blind entry. As you can see from Google Maps the proper entry onto the path, to the South of the overpass, has been closed for the development works and subsequently obliterated. Hopefully it is re-instated at the completion of the works.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm pretty sure the southern off-ramp on the Kings Park side for the Mount St overpass has now been converted to steps, which leads me to believe the southern entrance onto the bike path won't be re-opened. I could be wrong though.

While I'm here - pet hate for 2014: Waiting at the wall so I don't block the entrance/exit to the bike path for those coming up the hill and exiting at Mount St (although can't tell if anyone is coming down the hill at this point) and cyclists overtake me and then block said exit. Happens at least once a week on my commute.

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm

There was loads of broken glass over the path where they have taken down the construction fencing.

I was cursing them for not having the courtesy of giving it a quick sweep as I was fixing my flat....

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 am

Yeah I saw all that glass. I think it's been swept up now.

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Shed loads of glass and other carp....

With respect to the lack of visibility and entry from mount st onto path, will it take a serious accident or fatality here before something is done? Also when you think peds also use this path it is woefully narrow...

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:26 pm

General housekeeping around the Halo development is terrible again. Blue stone everywhere, holes in the asphalt, general litter and dirt. I've reported the hazard but wonder how many complaints it will take before the developers are held accountable.

Also noting that the overpass exit to the left (as you head to Kings Park) is being developed. Can't see that the entry/exit point onto the PSP will be reinstated. The existing entry/exit is a very dangerous and unsafe and it's quite disturbing that it's been engineered and approved this way! Does anyone know what the plans are in this regard?

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Hutcho wrote: Does anyone know what the plans are in this regard?
Wait until someone is killed, then deal with it.
Most likely.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Underpass was deep under water this morning. Anyone know what happened?

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Is this the underpass under the Mitchell Fwy exit for Mounts Bay Road? If it is, it was like that yesterday morning as well, feet got soaked and enjoyed the early morning ride with wet shoes/bike. Could it be the sprinklers (leaking sprinkler perhaps) that the City of Perth decide to put on almost every morning soaking the PSP? I have contacted Water Corp about this as it seems that councils water whenever they like!

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:38 pm

kellery82 wrote:Is this the underpass under the Mitchell Fwy exit for Mounts Bay Road? If it is, it was like that yesterday morning as well, feet got soaked and enjoyed the early morning ride with wet shoes/bike. Could it be the sprinklers (leaking sprinkler perhaps) that the City of Perth decide to put on almost every morning soaking the PSP? I have contacted Water Corp about this as it seems that councils water whenever they like!
Yes that one. Must be sprinkler system as it didn't rain. However, that's a lot of wasted water to flood the underpass.

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 am

SNAKE ® wrote:
kellery82 wrote:Is this the underpass under the Mitchell Fwy exit for Mounts Bay Road? If it is, it was like that yesterday morning as well, feet got soaked and enjoyed the early morning ride with wet shoes/bike. Could it be the sprinklers (leaking sprinkler perhaps) that the City of Perth decide to put on almost every morning soaking the PSP? I have contacted Water Corp about this as it seems that councils water whenever they like!
Yes that one. Must be sprinkler system as it didn't rain. However, that's a lot of wasted water to flood the underpass.
The puddle is still there. I have reported this to the City of Perth, I'm sure others have as well, but it is pretty bad that this deep puddle can remain and the City of Perth not take action. It's quite dangerous, but I'm glad other cyclists are shouting a warning before heading into this pool of water!

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 am

It was drained yesterday afternoon, but now flooded again.