Mount St Overpass

SNAKE ®

Re: Mount St Overpass

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:01 am

Rex wrote:It was drained yesterday afternoon, but now flooded again.
Looks like i'll take the 29er MTB today then.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Good morning kellery82

Thank you for your email regarding a large puddle on the PSP underpass.

The City's irrigation staff have repaired a burst water pipe in that
location and the water is now draining away correctly.

Kind regards,

Kristie Wilson
Admin Support Officer
Parks and Landscape Services
City of Perth

Sounds like it should be sorted now

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:50 pm

So the southern bike path off the Mount St bridge has been completely converted to garden now. Looks like we're stuck with that dangerous and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! entrance onto the PSP on the north side. I note with interest that the original picture of the development on Page1 shows the southern entrance being present. A change in plans post development approval? I feel like I should complain, but I'm not sure who too. The local paper had a short piece this week trumpeting City of Perth's expenditure on bicycling infrastructure. I can only assume this future expenditure will only occur if it doesn't inconvenience property developers. Same as it ever was.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:52 pm

Ban me now for swearing? Ha - that seems new to me, but maybe I've never tried swearing on here before. Issues got my bile rising that's all.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:23 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:So the southern bike path off the Mount St bridge has been completely converted to garden now. Looks like we're stuck with that dangerous and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! entrance onto the PSP on the north side. I note with interest that the original picture of the development on Page1 shows the southern entrance being present. A change in plans post development approval? I feel like I should complain, but I'm not sure who too. The local paper had a short piece this week trumpeting City of Perth's expenditure on bicycling infrastructure. I can only assume this future expenditure will only occur if it doesn't inconvenience property developers. Same as it ever was.
I'm pretty sure that is council land, so the council may choose to alter it if they get feedback on the issues with the area.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Red Rider wrote:
SnoopDoug wrote:So the southern bike path off the Mount St bridge has been completely converted to garden now. Looks like we're stuck with that dangerous and !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! entrance onto the PSP on the north side. I note with interest that the original picture of the development on Page1 shows the southern entrance being present. A change in plans post development approval? I feel like I should complain, but I'm not sure who too. The local paper had a short piece this week trumpeting City of Perth's expenditure on bicycling infrastructure. I can only assume this future expenditure will only occur if it doesn't inconvenience property developers. Same as it ever was.
I'm pretty sure that is council land, so the council may choose to alter it if they get feedback on the issues with the area.
Based on this article Pushing Boundaries the developer is responsible. The article includes a concept image showing a shared path including a shared path sign. Clear to me who and what will be provided.

But then again, the article indicates the apartments and this area will be finished by Sept 2014 which didn't happen either.

They also blocked one lane of shared path yesterday afternoon during peak times to undertake this landscaping.

Time to write to the CoP once again, please do also.

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:01 pm

I've contacted the COP and requested clarity on the PSP access and development plans at this location, as well as pointing out what must be obvious (the situation that they've created is damn dangerous). Let's see if there is any meaningful response...

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:13 pm

rolandp wrote:Based on this article Pushing Boundaries the developer is responsible. The article includes a concept image showing a shared path including a shared path sign. Clear to me who and what will be provided.
That's a hell of a concept picture. The lush hanging garden on the side of the wall looks lovely compared to the astro turf glued on in reality!!

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Who should I contact at CoP? Is there a specific person or just send it to the general email? I took a few photo's this morning and am happy to follow up further.

Edit: how bad was the glue smell on the astroturf!! haha. glad it's cleared up, but it was pretty toxic for a few days.

SoRCommute

Postby SoRCommute » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Have a look at the pic posted by Roland in Nov 2012 on page 1 of this thread. The concrete seems to be in the right places for this to still happen. If (when?) it does, i think we will be pleased with the final result.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:38 am

SoRCommute wrote:Have a look at the pic posted by Roland in Nov 2012 on page 1 of this thread. The concrete seems to be in the right places for this to still happen. If (when?) it does, i think we will be pleased with the final result.
You mean this one - posted back in Nov-2012 which is from the developers:

Compared with what was installed last Friday:

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:12 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:Who should I contact at CoP? Is there a specific person or just send it to the general email? I took a few photo's this morning and am happy to follow up further.

Edit: how bad was the glue smell on the astroturf!! haha. glad it's cleared up, but it was pretty toxic for a few days.
You can report the existing hazardous PSP entry point to the Department of Transport who will pass it on to the City of Perth (as they have done with all my queries on this section of PSP), here:

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activetr ... /24955.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's difficult to find anywhere to query the change in plans for that location. I used this link:

https://eservices.perth.wa.gov.au/ePath ... ageIndex=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The more that query this the better. I can't believe they'd retain the terribly hazardous PSP entry point. Surely this is a litigation risk to the City of Perth should there be an accident at this point...

SoRCommute

Postby SoRCommute » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks Roland. I had not noticed the western planting as was 'admiring' the fine efforts re-vegetating the eastern side of the path.

I was dismayed to see that planting on the eastside, since if the area was resurfaced as part of the PSP, it would open up sight lines along the path greatly. I see so many people overtaking uphill approaching the green wall when you really can't see what is heading down hill at all. Anyone doing over 30kph downhill (whether this is sensible or not) would be in for a shock!

This intersection really scares me. I often come down the hill and encounter people with at least half a bike into the intersection trying to spot cycles coming down the hill. Whilst I am extra cautious at the site, a bicycle going downhill on relatively steep grade holds a lot of momentum.... and I also feel I am placing great trust that those entering the path have seen me, since when I first seen them, they are still moving!

If things go wrong, there would be nowhere to go. A collision would cause gravel rash at a minimum, though there is a possibility something/someone bounces over the rails to the east. That would be a really bad thing!

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:55 am

Lodged a report to the Dept transport last week - no response yet. Just fired off one to CoP using this link and reporting it as an issue:
http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/forms/report-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will let you know how I go.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:36 pm

The PSP belongs to Main Roads and the link from the bridge (which also belongs to Main roads) is crown land. I think that Main Roads, the developer and the City of Perth are looking at the situation to see what can be sorted out.

SnoopDoug

Postby SnoopDoug » Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 pm

So no one ever got back to me. Did anyone else hear anything? Might just resubmit everything. And then start resubmitting daily.

Nearly got cleaned up there last week. It was a great commute - I nearly got cleaned up at the corner of Milligan and St Georges as well.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 pm

SnoopDoug wrote:So no one ever got back to me. Did anyone else hear anything? Might just resubmit everything. And then start resubmitting daily.

Nearly got cleaned up there last week. It was a great commute - I nearly got cleaned up at the corner of Milligan and St Georges as well.
If the bureaucracy doesn't respond you may need to go political. A bit more effort at your end but hopefully a better result.
If you work in Perth CBD I would suggest writing to either the mayor or Cr Reece Harley.
If you would prefer to talk to State Govt, write the Transport Minister.

roller

Postby roller » Wed May 27, 2015 10:35 pm

New steps have been installed on the south-west entrance to the bridge, so I'd say the ramp that used to be there will definitely not be coming back.
inflammatory statement or idea

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:04 pm

I cycled past this morning and think I saw a new a access path being constructed on the south side? It was dark and I was going down the hill so didn't manage to get a good look.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

roller

Postby roller » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:59 pm

It looks like a new one has been pegged out...looks like those coming up from the narrows will have to do a u-turn to use it (because it's not hard enough already)
inflammatory statement or idea

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:07 pm

It looks like it will be a smooth path (rather than steps like on that side of the overpass) based on the kerb they've laid. Hopefully they'll add a similar exit on the northern side of the bridge for those coming from the south.

Hutcho

Postby Hutcho » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Just make sure you don't accidentally turn left at the end of the bridge and go AOT down the steps at night!

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:55 pm

The new exit was open this morning! Not sure why they had to make it such a sharp turn to enter the PSP going north though.

dampier

Postby dampier » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:18 pm

I think it is more to make people stop and look before they enter the PSP.

mount_street

Postby mount_street » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Yeah I agree, I'm just concerned that people may swing out onto the wrong side of the PSP to avoid the kerb, and people that don't want to stop will now ride down the wrong side of the path to get a better line. At least the visibility is much better here than at the other entrance.