2013 State Elections - cycle instead????

Aushiker

Re: 2013 State Elections - cycle instead????

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:Troy Buswell today announced an additional $30mio for bicycle infrastructure, in addition to the 24.48mio announced last year. This is a direct investment; major infrastructure projects such as the widening of the Great Eastern Highway to the airport automatically include a provision for some cycling facility. It means that the Liberals have committed to continuous funding directly into bicycle infrastructure for their term of Government.
Did he provide any specifics on where the funding will go, at least in the next 12 months?

Andrew
I am trying to upload the press release on to the website, but I struggle a bit. The path to Midland is first cab of the rank ....
Do you want me to put it up? Just email me a copy if you like. I see the Liberals have nothing on their website either.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Donat

Postby Donat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am

CycleSnail wrote:Troy Buswell today announced an additional $30mio for bicycle infrastructure, in addition to the 24.48mio announced last year. This is a direct investment; major infrastructure projects such as the widening of the Great Eastern Highway to the airport automatically include a provision for some cycling facility. It means that the Liberals have committed to continuous funding directly into bicycle infrastructure for their term of Government.

Seeing that this campaign has been pretty much "tit for tat", one would expect a Labor announcement soonish????

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

Donat wrote:

Seeing that this campaign has been pretty much "tit for tat", one would expect a Labor announcement soonish????
Yeah - wait for the bidding war, followed by one of the following apologies:
  • "Sorry. It was always contingent on the federal government returning 100% of our GST." (Yeah, that'd be a first.)
    or
  • "Sorry. We hadn't realised how much the previous government had trashed the treasury"
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Initially I thought this was good news, assuming of course that it would eventuate and then I saw the promise of a grade separated path from Grant Street to Fremantle and the promise of $30m and once again the "low cost options" may be completed which is not a bad thing, however, the promise of Grant Street to Fremantle is well rubbish, unless the Liberal party now consider North Fremantle to be Fremantle.

Without something tangible announced about the Fremantle Old Traffic Bridge this is nothing more than attempting to win votes without being honest about what is promised. $30 m is not going to build what is promised plus deal with Tydeman Road or crossing the Swan River. Of course a grade separated path to North Fremantle would be good, but that still leaves Tydeman Road and the Swan River.

It is also interesting given the Liberal Party promise on Curtin Avenue re-alignment. One moment the cycle path was joining the RSP now it is a grade separated path along the rail reserve: a path mind you that has been planned for sometime in the next 15 years.

Edit: SHould have read the Press Realse more carefully. Two key points:

(1) Paths within 15 km of the Perth CBD, so no change from the WA Bicycle Network Plan and hence the Perth - Fremantle PSP is not going to make Fremantle period;
(2) Extra funding is to get started on the existing promised PSP ... one metre is of course "getting started" :wink:

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 pm

The WA Bicyle Network Plan indicates in section 8 - High Priority PSP Program which is made up of:
8.1 Narrows Bridge to Mount Henry Bridge along the Kwinana Freeway (upgrade to existing path)
8.2 South Street to Cranford Avenue along Kwinana Freeway
8.3 Glendalough to Balcatta along the Mitchell Freeway
8.4 Burswood to Welshpool along the Perth-Armadale Railway
8.5 Bassendean to Midland along the Perth-Midland Railway
8.6 Shenton Park to Loch Street along the Perth-Fremantle Railway
8.7 Grant Street to Fremantle along the Perth-Fremantle Railway

The Liberal announcement yesterday indicates:
1) Kwinana Freeway (Narrows Bridge to Mount Henry Bridge - widening of the existing path at selected locations
2) Perth to Freeway railway line - new path and grade seperation from Grant Street to Fremantle
3) Glendalough to Balcatta to Mitchell Freeway
4) Completion of the Bassendean to Midland station section of Perth-Midland path
The above is based on 'A Liberal Government, if re-elected'.

Where are the additional projects, the above list is taken directly out of the Bike Plan, minus a couple of projects.

Where is the approved WA Bicycle Network Plan, which will hold tight even after the election results next Saturday?

I'm glad that there has been an announcement relating to these 4 projects, but it is not an additional $30M, it is the approval for these projects to go ahead as the WA Bicycle Network Plan is still in draft mode.

I was at the announcement yesterday, and asked the Minister what do cyclists do once they get to the Perth CBD where there is no cycling infrastructure. He did appreciate this was an issue and indicated that they were working on ways to get 'cross' cycling roads implemented. It might seem small, but at least he did see that there was an issue.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:59 pm

I stumbled across West TV the other night first time in ages, apart from it being frighteningly good, there were very entertaining political ads for/by specific candidates, and a generic Greens policy summary that ended with "cycle safe city".

A quick search and I found what they mean at the BTAWA's website, that has a summary of party policies tabled neatly below.
http://btawa.org.au/2013-wa-state-election/greens/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can see the BTAWA's lobbying to integrate funding with Metronet with comparitive percentages showing the value returned would seem more effective when Labor for instance doesn't appear to have any priority for it at all.

Perhaps instead of just voting with your feet to one not the other, send a message to the ones you don't vote for to say it was because of this.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:09 pm

My reading is that the funding for WABN at $10mio pa is extended to the end of the next term of government, if the Liberals are re-elected. That is the additional $30mio. This is better than the average $2mio in the six years before 2012.

Beyond the $ amount it is good to have both Colin and Troy spending 15 minutes talking up the benefits of cycling. Unfortunately for us, it all got lost in the billion dollar arguments surrounding the rail issues.

It is not enought to complete the Principal Shared Path network, but it will get some stuff built. It took four years to build the short segment from Tonkin Highway to Bassendean station, hopefully the path will go all the way to Midland in the next couple of year. That would be a good outcome.

Would more money be better? Absolutley! I still have hopes that Labor will come up with something for cycling beyond what is part of Metronet. Six days to go until the election.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:25 pm

Two years later.

Has anyone/group done a review of the promised $30m. Has it been provided?

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 pm

rolandp wrote:Two years later.

Has anyone/group done a review of the promised $30m. Has it been provided?
Strange... That's about the exact cost of the bicycle infrastructure at Elizabeth Quay... :lol:

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:30 am

My current understanding of bike money:

http://btawa.org.au/2015/05/15/cycling- ... 5-to-2019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Support high quality cycling advocacy!