Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Aushiker

Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Fremantle Ports has awarded a $13m contract to construction firm, Brierty Ltd to construct roads and services on reclaimed land at Rous Head, Fremantle. Part of this contract will see the building of a cycle and pedestrian path along the sea wall.

I have posted a little bit more detail in at my blog but the image above pretty much sums up what is planned.

Andrew

BaldPatch

Re: Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Postby BaldPatch » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image
Fremantle Ports has awarded a $13m contract to construction firm, Brierty Ltd to construct roads and services on reclaimed land at Rous Head, Fremantle. Part of this contract will see the building of a cycle and pedestrian path along the sea wall.

I have posted a little bit more detail in at my blog but the image above pretty much sums up what is planned.

I was working near there a couple of months ago and noticed a locked gate stopping access to the cycleway near the service station.
A sign said "roadworks" but I suspect the problem may be winter storms cause waves to break over the cyclceway...an unusual hazard

Andrew

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Sounds good in principle. The primary function of the shared path south of Tydeman Road is parking for fisherfolk and surfers. Some policing of parking will be necessary.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:30 am

The road rather than the path was open to Rous Head about a week or so ago. The path was still closed as they where surfacing sections due to the bitumen bubbling up rather nicely.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 am

RobertFrith wrote:Sounds good in principle. The primary function of the shared path south of Tydeman Road is parking for fisherfolk and surfers. Some policing of parking will be necessary.

Andrew

farnorth

Postby farnorth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I always leave the cycle path for the road at the very first cross-gully when heading south, and vice-versa; this part of an otherwise good path is very poorly designed.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Yep, the gullys (I feel sure the "engineers" have a more neutral name for them) are an obstacle for cyclists. Moreover they seem to demarcate a space made especially available for cars; drivers actually reverse park into them completely obstructing the path. Cyclists are one thing but dog help anyone in a wheelchair who takes it into their mind to use the shared path to north mole.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:32 pm

This video is about Rous Head Shared Path October 12 2014. I decided to follow-up on my earlier video on Rous Head Shared Path to see what has happened and to see if there is any evidence that the Fremantle Ports and City of Fremantle are taking effective action to ensure the path is available to used as designed; that is as a shared use path for bicycle riders and pedestrians. I will let you make your own call on that but for me I will be sticking to the road in the future.

The concerns of the Fremantle Bicycler User Group where also brought to the attention of the Member of Cottesloe, The Right Honourable Colin Barnett MLA as Rous Head is within his electorate. To my knowledge there was no reply from Mr Barnett.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Related to this, this Tweet from the Merridin Police popped up ...

Now compare this to the videos and the WA Police reaction to the Western Australian news report earlier in the year about driving on shared use paths ...
No police action has been taken against motorists photographed using bicycle and pedestrian paths to avoid gridlocked roads earlier this year.

Photographs provided to _The West Australian _ in February showed drivers using the paths to jump traffic on Nicholson Road in Parkwood, between High Road and the Roe Highway overpass.
Don't ride a trail bike on a golf course but it is okay to drive on a shared use path according to the WA Police.

Andrew

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:This video is about Rous Head Shared Path October 12 2014.
If anyone needs Guttering done you can scratch one company off the list....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:47 pm

nachoman wrote:
Aushiker wrote:This video is about Rous Head Shared Path October 12 2014.
If anyone needs Guttering done you can scratch one company off the list....
:) I did look for a webpage for them without luck ...

Andrew

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:51 pm

Aushiker wrote:Don't ride a trail bike on a golf course but it is okay to drive on a shared use path according to the WA Police.
But look at the damage they are doing to the beautifully manicured fairways.

GregW

Postby GregW » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Went down to Rous head on Sunday and there were vehicles parked on the path again in that area 500M south of Port Beach. Said to my wife that I am tempted to stop on the way back and let a couple of tyres down with an accompanying note as to why. No need to though, the ranger was there issuing fines. Five bob to he who can guess where the ranger was parked.