Beaufort Street 2 way traffic project

wellington_street

Re: Beaufort Street 2 way traffic project

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:15 pm

It would've been nice if CoP could've managed a thin reseal across the northbound cycle lane on Stirling Street. As it is there's a big join in the surface almost smack bang in the middle all the way up.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 am

BikeWest did an article on Stirling St in their April newsletter:
Perth's Stirling Street gets more cycle friendly
Stirling Street now features a bicycle storage box; a squeaky green surface treatment that allows bicycle riders to move in front of waiting cars at red traffic lights. The new surface treatment aims to make the intersection more bike friendly.

City of Perth Active Transport Planner Laura Donovan said bicycle storage boxes like the one on Stirling Street, will be rolled out in more places across the City of Perth in the future.

“The marking on the ground clearly communicates to drivers and cyclists alike how we would like them to use the infrastructure we are putting in place. More clarity makes drivers aware of cyclists and keeps everyone safer,” Laura said.

Wellington_street, you may want to contact Laura in relation to that 'big join'.

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:59 am

Yesterday I saw a policeman stopping motorists (and maybe giving out tickets after) who were driving in the north bound Beaufort street Inglewood bus lane between 415-6pm

:shock: :shock:
inflammatory statement or idea

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 pm

roller wrote:Yesterday I saw a policeman stopping motorists (and maybe giving out tickets after) who were driving in the north bound Beaufort street Inglewood bus lane between 415-6pm

Yay!

The bus/bike lane project should be almost complete now, the bus/bike lane extends from Walcott St to Salisbury St. Not sure if you can officially ride a bike in the Vincent section of Beaufort.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:03 am

Red Rider wrote:
roller wrote:Yesterday I saw a policeman stopping motorists (and maybe giving out tickets after) who were driving in the north bound Beaufort street Inglewood bus lane between 415-6pm

Yay!

The bus/bike lane project should be almost complete now, the bus/bike lane extends from Walcott St to Salisbury St. Not sure if you can officially ride a bike in the Vincent section of Beaufort.
Are the marked with bike signs? If not, the answer is no. I approached CoP/DoT when the bus lanes were introduced on St Georges Tec, and they said no.

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06 am

I'd like to know the answer to this, according to the Amy Gillett foundation (at http://www.amygillett.org.au/wa-cycle-s ... oad-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) then:-

A cyclist may ride in bicycle, tram, bus and transit lanes unless prohibited by a NO BICYCLES sign. (Rules 153 - 158)

So I'll keep on riding in them until I see a NO BICYCLES sign, or the government make it obvious what the law is. (And by the government I mean Main Road/ Dept. of Transport, I really don't care what WestCycle/Dept. of Sport think)

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:27 pm

AGF have the wrong information as the WA Road Traffic Code Regulations 153 to 158 do not relate to driving in special purpose lanes.

The relevant rules in WA are Regulation 133 and Regulation 136.

The relevant difference being that the Australian Road Rules Regulation 158 includes the following:
(2) The driver of any vehicle may drive in a bicycle lane, bus lane, tram lane, transit lane or truck lane if:
(c) the driver is:
(i) riding a bicycle in a bus lane (other than a bus only lane), tram lane, transit lane or truck lane, or
Whereas there is not an equivalent provision in WA Reg 136.

In WA the relevant provision of Reg 136 is:
(2) The driver of any vehicle may drive in a bicycle lane, bus lane, transit lane or truck lane if —
(b) information on or with a traffic sign applying to the lane indicates that the driver may drive in the lane.
As rolandp said, unless there is a sign indicating otherwise you cannot legally ride in a bus lane in WA (unless one of the exceptions that applies to all drivers happens to apply in your situation).

Talks_to_Swans

Postby Talks_to_Swans » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks, the AGF information was easier to find, but obviously wrong. Now all I need is for all of the car drivers to know the intricacies of the law as well.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 pm

FYI the Beaufort St Bus Lane and Bus/Bike Lane works have been completed. The left lane North of Brisbane St is designated for both buses and bicycles during peak hours, all the way to Salisbury St Inglewood. It's a great surface and the cars are generally well behaved. Just be cautious of cars turning across the road in heavy traffic around Mt Lawley town centre, particularly when they're trying to get onto Vincent St.

Nice work Main Roads/Vincent/Stirling.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:28 am

Talks_to_Swans wrote:Thanks, the AGF information was easier to find, but obviously wrong. Now all I need is for all of the car drivers to know the intricacies of the law as well.
Hmmm...AGF were informed that their info was completely wrong over 6 months ago yet its still there. Pretty piss poor from an organisation that should know better.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Inexplicably Main Roads seem to have run out of bus/bike lane signs and a 400m section of Beaufort St, from 3rd Ave to Central Ave has been signed as bus lane only.

And even their own website doesn't properly recognise the actual signage they have installed elsewhere, for example [url=https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/AboutMa ... s/Bus.aspx[​'a new priority bus lane on Beaufort Street between Queens Crescent and First Avenue in Mt Lawley is now in place'[/url], yet it has been signed as a bus/bike lane. Although the website also only refers to motorised traffic.

The new rules need serious enforcement, CBD inbound on a morning is a joke, a lot of motorists see the lane as an opportunity to skip past all the patient ones.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Inexplicably Main Roads seem to have run out of bus/bike lane signs and a 400m section of Beaufort St, from 3rd Ave to Central Ave has been signed as bus lane only.
If that is the case then I will take this up with the project manager on Monday.

Also the MRWA webpage linked to is out of date/incorrect as the latest section is from Queens to Sixth Avenue and now completes the Beaufort Street peak time priority bus lanes (including bikes) all the way from Walcott Street to the City of Stirling boundary near Grand Promenade.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:37 pm

A section of the Stirling St bike lane towards the city has been dug up for what looks like pipe laying. I think it was between Newcastle and Aberdeen.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 pm

nachoman wrote:A section of the Stirling St bike lane towards the city has been dug up for what looks like pipe laying. I think it was between Newcastle and Aberdeen.