Western Australia - Perth hills MTB ride on single track

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Okay, well it looks like the weather will be crap, but I'm riding anyway! Anyone who wants to have some dirty, off-road fun can meet me for a good time at the car park in Langford Park, Jarrahdale, at 8.00am on Saturday. The level of experience needed for the ride will be determined by consensus on the day - there are many choices of track there.

If you don't know where the meeting point is, PM me and I'll send you a link to a map. My phone number is 0400 340 900 if you get lost or are running late.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:43 am

Looks to be another soggy w/end coming up, no matter since I won't be free anyway. How did you go on Saturday Graeme? Looked to be a bit of sunshine peeking in through the blinds when I woke. I imagine it was quite muddy out after a few very wet days before.

So July 12th sound doable for anyone else, weather pending? We might have better luck just taking it week by week and seeing what happens.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:54 am

Oh yeah, forgot to get back with a ride report ...

As expected (weather and all) I was the only one from BNA there on Saturday morning. Three other cars were parked up when I got there, so a few die-hards were on the track.

It was indeed a soggy track, but not slippery in the least. Just lots of puddles concealing ruts on preferred lines. I had a ball - I didn't get rained on in the 90 minutes I was riding. I still got soaked by splashes and looked like I had changed ethnicity below the lycra.

By the time I finished my ride, there were 6 cars in the car park. You guys missed out. Bad luck! ;)

I can't make this weekend. I don't know about the next one: I might be driving to Newman for some MTB riding and photography around then.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:45 am

Slightly off the main OT.. but my ride over the weekend; I managed about 3 hours out around the Mt. Lennards tracks up in the hills behind Dardanup & The Ferguson Valley yesterday. Was great weather for it, despite the cloud coming and going once or twice, and a coupla very light drizzles, we started and finished in beautiful winter sunshine.

I was really quite surprised by the quality of the tracks. We'd headed out there cos the mate whom taken the Monday off with me used to (rather naughtily) follow some of the same trails about 7 or 8 years ago on his Motocross bike. In the intervening years, the area has been more properly marked with the colour ratings of the various half trails

It was probably the most technical trails I've followed in my couple of months MTBing... but there was a good mix of easy/moderate/difficult paths to take and mix it up. Some hairy rutted downhills into the Collie River Valley and punishing uphills up & out again. My favourite was perhaps the Grizzly trail portion where we started & finished - gently sloping but quite testing little single trails through lovely forest coverage. The winter sun mottling through the sheoak foliage was mesmerising. What's more I'm feeling my skills improving by degrees with each ride. Mt. Lennards is a good all around training area I think.

Oh and did I mention, cos it was a Monday - we had it to ourselves? :D

Anyway... I'll keep tuned in here for the prospect of another BNA group ride.

Kym
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:27 pm

So gdl_gdl's thread in the WA section reminded me about these plans that never quite worked out. The weather has been beautiful all week so I'm thinking, it can't last. But maybe we should throw around a few more dates and hope for the best.

Unfortunately I've got a car rally on this Sunday morning with work and busy on Saturday. But the bereau says it will fine up again mid next week so next weekend looks hopeful.

16/17th anyone keen to make a tentative commitment?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Maybe the 17th would be good for me. I'm not around right now, and I can't confirm the date until next week. But I'd really love to hit the hills - any hills - when I get back. (Bloody hell it's flat here!)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am

Kalgrm wrote:Maybe the 17th would be good for me. I'm not around right now, and I can't confirm the date until next week. But I'd really love to hit the hills - any hills - when I get back. (Bloody hell it's flat here!)
I have clearance so the 17th is good for me. Julia has been neglected lately.

Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Alright, the afternoon has been ruled out for me, so it's a morning ride on the 17th at the moment. Anyone interested?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

crazycanuck

mmeeee

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm interested..Depending on location, Ian might be able to do his own ride..

I'll be the turtle as i'm still working my way back on the dirt.. :oops:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:34 am

Right now, I'm thinking Langford park in Jarrahdale at around 8.00am(maybe 9.00 if that's what the rest decide). Yarg can play the hare while the rest of us play the tortoise with you. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 am

I'm in for Sunday, would prefer a later start than earlier. But I'll go with the majority.

Like I mentioned previously, been quite awhile since I've been off the tarmac so nothing too hardcore. One bidon full of water be enough? Spare tube and pump a requirement or is a walk back to the car doable?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:59 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Right now, I'm thinking Langford park in Jarrahdale at around 8.00am(maybe 9.00 if that's what the rest decide).
I won't commit just yet. I have tentative other plans I'm waiting to confirm; so it's all a bit of a coin toss ATM. But I would like get to know Langford Park a bit better....
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cray-

Postby cray- » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm

I just sent a quick PM to gsxrboy, Double-Gee & twowheels, whom all responded to the initial expression of interest, just in case they haven't noticed this thread being revived.

Today I did a car rally with work and one of the stops was somewhere in Swan View (Pechey Rd to be precise). The carpark was full of casual MTBers heading off to do some Heritage Trail or something. Must have been quite an easy one as I saw one of those baby buggy/trailer things. But it still got me all fired up to hit the dirt, just gotta pray for more sunshine now.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:12 pm

thx, i'll have to give this further thought, get back to the thread later in the week if i can make it.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:25 pm

cray- wrote:I just sent a quick PM to gsxrboy..
Which I didn't notice until reading this thread :P

p.s. thanks for the PM.

Tentatively I should be a goer for a 9am start, beware my fitness is the poo these days, though better this week than last, so I will def be dubbed Terry Turtle !!

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:39 pm

I'd love to do some MTBing over here in WA....

Sadly, i have no (mountain)bike, and will likely be busy this weekend planned anyway.

Maybe before i leave, i'll get a trip or two into the tracks...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

G'day

I am going to have to bail on this one :(. For some reason I thought it was Saturday and not Sunday. Have to go out Saturday night so don't expect to be in any state to make a 9:00 AM start :)

Enjoy

Andrew

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm

ahh, might be a little crowded there this Sunday, just heard about this event today

http://wa.orienteering.asn.au/events/20 ... ventID=918

Event
Start Date 17/08/2008 9:00:00 AM
End Date 17/08/2008 1:00:00 PM
Event Name WA - Mountain Bike Orienteering - Langford Park
Location Langford Park (near Jarrahdale)
Description
Contact

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 pm

cray- wrote:I just sent a quick PM to Double-Gee
Thanks for the PM. :)

Interest - yes, attendance - probably not. :(

The Mrs now has a CRX-4 and has joined in on a Sunday ride or 2 with my mate and myself. I'm still working out how to do a 20/30km easy ride with the wife as well as a more challenging 60/70km ride with my mate.

Given that the location mentioned appears to be in use at the chosen time, I'll keep an eye on this thread for any possible new suggestions.
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

cray-

Postby cray- » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:23 am

Hhhhrrrmmmm BUGGER! Well we still have a few numbers and the weather report at this stage sounds like another glorious w/end. So I say we find an alternate location and get on with it. What are our options for those a bit more familiar with it all?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:41 am

Orienteering at our spot! :evil: Well, they can all get lost as far as I'm concerned!!! ;)

We could go to the Dell instead, but we've been there and done that. Any other suggestions? Pickering Brook?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:07 pm

It's all new to me, so anywhere is fine. Obviously that means I can't recommend anything either. Something southerly would be convenient as I'm in between Roe Hwy and Armadale Rd, just off Kwinana.

So is everyone still keen? The weather looks to be perfect, forecast for 23deg, although the morning will be chilly with the lack of clouds.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm very keen to get out there.

I suggest meeting at the Pickering Brook store car park at 9.00am and we'll take it from there.

We can either ride along the Munda Biddi from there or take a little single track across the road and head towards the infamous "whore": a little hill that will do to you what the name suggests.*

My phone number is 0400 340 900 if you're running late.

Cheers,
Graeme

(* there is now a "b-line" around the hill for those who can't get it up, and that's likely to be me! "It" being the bike .... ;))
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 pm

hmmm - perhaps I scared off a few people with the reference to the whore.

Guys, there is no need to worry - the pace will be sociable, with the slowest rider setting the pace of the group. If I want to hammer, I'll do it some other time - this ride is just a get together and an exploration of some single track in the hills. When we reach the whore, we'll give it a go or we'll turn around and head back to the cars, depending on how everyone feels.

So, come out and meet a few of the people you've been seeing online, see some new tracks and enjoy the beautiful late-winter weather we're having!

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:19 pm

Nice one, and a location that I'm familiar with too, BONUS!

EDIT: Sorry apparently I linked to the wrong place. Link gone now.

I'll be the bald computer geek in the noisey white Subaru Liberty. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by cray- on Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.