3 Dam Challange 2014

Roobar

3 Dam Challange 2014

Postby Roobar » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:09 am

Had a great time and were setting a faster pace than expected until I got two flats on armadale road, lost a great peleton sitting at 40 and couldn't find another one.

My partner had scouted the route and knew about the ped bridge over the freeway, which obviously confused the following pack, as we hit it at full pace to ease the climb and all I heard was someone about 3-4 back yell "where the #%^* are you going?" First time I realized we had a group behind us as I was concentrating on dragging my partner who was struggling with a cold.

Still 5:50 with 2 flats feels pretty good for a first timer.

kx315

Re: 3 Dam Challange 2014

Postby kx315 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am

Well done to all who took up the challenge!!

I took on the 5 Dams which was one off the most difficult and rewarding psychical challenges I have ever undertaken :D It was my first ride over the 150km & 200km mark very happy to have achieved that. The 4 months of training that my ride partner and I did certainly payed off.

BWA did a great job organizing apart from one glitch at the first dam no drinking water! It did make me giggle all the way on the climb out of Mundaring that we were at Perth's biggest dam and we could not fill our water bottles. We did not suffer any congestion or pushing in issues at the start it was all very orderly.

The first 4 dams seem to zip by really fast the legs were happy to have a rest at dam 5 though :shock: The ride down Karnup rd was not much fun into the breeze and seemed to take for ever! We had a good recharge at the first freeway check point and cruised home with the wind at our backs.

Had a nice surprise at the finish to see my 10 year old daughter and her friend had been enlisted to hand out the finishing medals!

9:19 on the Garmin and 9:57 for the official timing pretty happy for first timers however finishing was our goal, already planning next year!
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

alh9a5

Postby alh9a5 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Did 3 Dams with Nitestick stepping in as a late replacement for my sick mate.

Had a great ride considering its the first time I have done more than 130km, had some feet cramping issues over the last 15km but other than that all good.

Strava time of 5hrs 13mins and official time of 5:39

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Good write-up's everyone, and well done on taking up the challenge.

After completing the 3 Dams last year, buddy and I decided in November to tackle the 5. We rallied a few other 'couples' to train with us, and most Saturdays we have been building up our training towards the day. The amount of training required was nothing short of weekend-crippling, so we couldn't wait for the day to come.

I could see some nervous faces around me as we gathered at the line, it is a daunting challenge to spend all day in the hills. The start was a squish, with plenty of riders with higher numbers pushing ahead, and even a couple of 3 Dammers jumping the gun too. But once out of the start gate it was easy tucked in a large group, and unlike last year we had good luck with the lights all the way to Greenmount. All our training meant it was about our 20th time past Mundaring Weir, and the familiar roads out the back of Kalamunda and Carmel. At Wungong I lost a water bottle and tail light over the speed bump, a kind gentleman on the roadside retrieved the bottle for me, the light beyond repair.

After the bumpy ride to Canning Dam I was pretty miffed that there wasn't any electrolyte available. My legs were starting to feel the k's out to and along Albany Hwy, it takes some concentration to keep off the rumble strip on the edge of the Hwy. The hardest part of the day was along here and onto Serpentine Dam, rough roads with undulations. We were happy to have a decent rest but unimpressed with the lack of electrolytes here too.

We were all hanging out for the descent down the escarpment, and joined a group along Karnup Rd. Into the wind the pace was quite slow, my legs were feeling 'good' and helped out at the front knowing this would be the last hard part of the day. A killer python lolly was just the tonic along the freeway. With the breeze over our shoulder now, we were relieved to be on the home stretch and ticked over the final k's nursing various states of fatigue, soreness and cramp.

After leaving at 6:20am we crossed the line at 4:30pm, with a moving time of 8:28. Glad to have ticked that off the list, not sure I'll undertake it again for a long time!

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Yes I forgot to mention the electrolyte or lack of that was disappointing.
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:10 pm

So people were dissapointed with the lack of electrolytes ?
I know I got 2 packs that made up 4 lt in the riders bags , as did my team mate and everyone we spoke with ... so with 2 bottles at the start of your own whatever ..and carrying the product suppied to you, so you can refill with water they supply you ...you say your dissapointed that again they didnt supply you with more electrolytes ....

What next :roll:

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Our team received one pack that made up 700ml and we were led to believe that more would be provided at each water station/check point, so yes for me it was disappointing.

That said it is only a very small issue out of what was a fantastically run day. A big shout out also needs to go out to all of the volunteers all of which were very helpful and friendly along the way.
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes, it was a great day and well run by all the organisers and volunteers.
They had electrolytes last year so I was assuming it would be the same this year...

Dez

Postby Dez » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I finished my first '3 Dams' on Sunday and also logged my largest ride for a day of 156km (Includes to and from South Perth).

The conditions we're perfect with a bit of a tail wind for the start and the trip up the freeway. The route was well marked and the volunteers were all fantastic. I felt sorry for the poor guy who had to notify riders that there was no water at Canning Dam!

The course was great but I would suggest a bit more signage coming up to the last descent into Wungong Dam. That could have been carnage in the wet! The speed hump coming out of Wungong would have made a few sets of teeth chatter for those that didn't see it.

I was most disappointed in a couple of aspects of rider behaviour. Riding four abreast might be great for conversation, but not good for other riders to get past. Riding in the middle of a lane or swerving left and right across it is also very amateurish. The worst thing by far though was riders who blatantly litter. We are fortunate enough to ride through places as nice as Pickering Brook and Wungong; it is DISGUSTING behavior to chuck gel packets, banana skins and other rubbish on the road or verge. This is not the Tour de France. There is no one coming in a caravan behind to clean up after us. Keep the rubbish in your jersey until you get to a bin - it's not hard.

On a much more positive note, having Hop Hog on tap at the finish was the stuff dreams are made of!!

Thanks again to the organisers and volunteers in making it a great day out and congratulations to all of the riders who acheived their goals (especially the guy on the MTB doing 5 Dams!).