Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

rolandp

Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 am

Have you noticed the pink circles on the PSP around Gribble Rd, Gwelup?

Follow the pink circle path, and they take you to the pink flags at the southern end:

And yesterday, the northern end now has the same markings:
where the weed growth has been cleared back and pink flags also installed.

Spoke to the guy later yesterday who was clearing the weed growth, and he couldn't indicate when, but the Gribble Rd bypass will be going next to the freeway.

I'm excited, as this was the route I suggested to DPI (it was called that at the time)/MainRoads in 2008, when I strapped a video camera onto the front of bike (we didn't have mini-cameras then), and produced a DVD suggesting this route.
and yes, I did continue to follow this suggestion up :).

Aushiker

Re: Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am

This is good news Roland. You post reminded me of a promised connection on the Fremantle PSP ... one promised for this year but I don't think has seen any progress. The completion of the PSP between Shenton Park Railway Station and the Loch Street Railway Station (Stubbs Terrace) was described in October 2012 as a top priority with Main Roads WA.

I must follow your initiative and start following up on these things. It seems to work :)

Andrew

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:51 pm

great news! progress. This should make that section alot safer heading north and having to ride out onto the road with poor visibility of traffic due to the fence.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 pm

According to the PSP construction program posted by the Bicycle Transport Alliance completion of the Gwellup bypass is not scheduled until December 2014 and Fremantle PSP section I mentioned has been pushed back to a June 2015 completion date.

Andrew

ikm

Postby ikm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:26 pm

If they planted asphalt seeds it would probably grow itself before then :(

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 am

Aushiker wrote:According to the PSP construction program posted by the Bicycle Transport Alliance completion of the Gwellup bypass is not scheduled until December 2014 and Fremantle PSP section I mentioned has been pushed back to a June 2015 completion date.

Andrew
I've been out of state for the last week, so don't know exactly when this started but ride in yesterday, and captured this image of the northern end location:

Should we place bets on if this the start of the development for a new shared path at this location, or we will still have to wait until Dec-2014 :0.

There is a little bit of sand on the existing shared path (aka footpath).

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 am

I saw that staked out two weeks ago with all the ground foliage still there, so this photo suggests some definite progress :-)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm

rolandp wrote:
Should we place bets on if this the start of the development for a new shared path at this location, or we will still have to wait until Dec-2014 :0.

There is a little bit of sand on the existing shared path (aka footpath).
I would be more than happy to loose this one :)

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Bitter sweet when you have to take one up the backside in order to get a happy ending.

Before:

It amused me thinking of someone from Battlefield Friends in the "Surprise Party" episode to pop out and make you jump on the brakes at this point with the wacky music playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-mKOF3p6A

Not as bad as the EnviroDrill company ute's tray backed over the PSP blocking half of the new Beach Rd. Carine Open Space border concrete PSP path at sunset and onwards while heaps of cars were parked there last night for sports. Think of the children, sure.

This morning on Gribble following a rider who cut off two riders about to take the path entry keeping left, while he did the typical swing out wide at speed to straighten it, but from two lanes wide (i.e. opposite verge). Buzzed the woman who stopped on the road short of the path in shock while the rest of us went around leaving her to think about it =D If anyone knows him they can send him a postcard in action in full BMC kit, down to the socks :)

If the woman was more like him, the irony would have looked like this, her hi-vis being the safety sign on the tram ;)

The new bypass may remove some complications, but as they say make it idiot proof, we will make a better idiot ;)

gribbleroad

Postby gribbleroad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 am

Don't get too excited this will be strongly opposed by residents of this area and also there is not enough room for a cycle path further down the reserve hence why it hasn't progressed!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 am

gribbleroad wrote:Don't get too excited this will be strongly opposed by residents of this area and also there is not enough room for a cycle path further down the reserve hence why it hasn't progressed!
Great first post :)

Oh yes I know the residents in the area. We have friends who received friendly notices in their mailbox welcoming them in the week of moving into the estate, advising that their front lawn wasn't up-kept enough and there are expectations to be aspiring upper middle class.

PS: My personal favourite stereotype is the house with feature boat and Range Rover right between the ramp and the path T-junction to Gribble across from the swamp.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 pm

eldavo wrote:Oh yes I know the residents in the area. We have friends who received friendly notices in their mailbox welcoming them in the week of moving into the estate, advising that their front lawn wasn't up-kept enough and there are expectations to be aspiring upper middle class.
Are you serious? :shock:

Not sure what gribbleroad is on about, there's plenty of room for the PSP in the freeway reservation.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:43 am

gribbleroad wrote:Don't get too excited this will be strongly opposed by residents of this area and also there is not enough room for a cycle path further down the reserve hence why it hasn't progressed!
Why would it be opposed? Homes back onto a busy freeway. I can't see how a shared use pathway will cause further annoyance. Anyone with common sense who purchased properties backing to the freeway would at least consider the potential that there could be a path there one day.

Nearmap screenshot from 10th Nov....looks like there is plenty of space to me.

Although zooming in a bit, at the southern end, you can see that sand all over the place is just from someone who got a pool installed

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:46 am

Judging by what happened to eldavo's friends, I don't think common sense is a particularly plentiful commodity in this particular suburb.

Regardless, I doubt Main Roads will give even quarter of a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! about resident whinging, it's being built within their freeway reserve which the residents do not even have a legal right of access to (i.e. legally, the path access is there on the good graces of the Commissioner). Wonder if the guy getting his pool installed got permission to use the reserve to access his property?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:03 am

wellington_street wrote:Wonder if the guy getting his pool installed got permission to use the reserve to access his property?
And when they will sweep up the sand.

So, false alarm, and we are back on for December 2014 implementation?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:20 pm

rolandp wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Wonder if the guy getting his pool installed got permission to use the reserve to access his property?
And when they will sweep up the sand.
At least you know who to drop a polite note to :P

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:51 am

Something else is happening at the top end, more clearing and markings:

Another pool, or, is this start of the new section?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Blue stakes are marking out a water pipe (if you look the other way on the road, it says so :P)

I'm guessing it's for the intersection upgrade at the Reid Hwy overpass (double turning lanes).

redned

Postby redned » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks Gribbleroad: from your tone (and login) can I guess that you are one of those residents? Not enough room for a 3m wide shared path? You have to be kidding. And getting cyclists off Gribble Rd or the footpath (foolishly marked as a shared path) is to everyone's benefit. Any justification for your opposition?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:00 am

No doubt was bored one night, googled Gribble Road and found this thread.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18 am

Further signs of some preparation work occurring. South end, if you follow the 'goat' path around the lake there are:
Image Image Image
Significant pruning of trees and more markings on the path. Similar markings are on the northern section.

Or is it due to Reid Highway Duplication (Erindale Road to Duffy Road):
Main Roads has been developing a project to duplicate a 2.2 km section of Reid Highway between Erindale Road (Hamersley/Balcatta) and Duffy Road (Carine) including construction of a new bridge over Mitchell Freeway.

The project will provide additional lane capacity to improve safety and operational efficiencies in the area. The Reid Highway Duplication project forms part of the long term plan to upgrade Reid Highway to a six lane freeway east of Mitchell Freeway and a four lane highway to the west.

This project is entirely funded by the State Government. It is anticipated that the contract will be awarded in late 2014, with a view to completing construction in early 2016.

The project will involve:
Duplication of the single carriageway between Duffy Road and Erindale Road, with associated intersection upgrades;
Construction of a new bridge over Mitchell Freeway (just south of the existing bridge);
Installation of traffic lights at Duffy Road South. Duffy Road North will continue to operate under stop sign control;
Provide a traffic barrier to separate highway traffic from the shared path on the existing bridge over Mitchell Freeway;
Revegetation and landscaping; and
Noise mitigation measures (where required).

Jackfrost

Postby Jackfrost » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:37 pm

Looks like it's already happening champ. Perhaps the council should change the name of the road to 'Grizzle Road' while they are at it?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks for the update Roland.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Installed today:
Poor picture I know, but it reads PSP Erindale Road to Balcatta Rd and includes an url http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/wabn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which indicates:
Projects designed and to be commenced in 2014.
•Kwinana Freeway (Mill Point Road to Thelma Street) – upgrade commenced.
•Perth-Midland rail line (Bassendean Station to Success Hill Station) - new path to be commenced shortly.
•Kwinana Freeway (Scandrett Way to London Way) - new path.
Mitchell Freeway (Erindale Road to Balcatta Road) - new path.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:48 pm

PS: I found fig trees around that swamp path at Erindale underpass where Gribble Road connects to.
They seemed fine, I took a lunchbox half dozen worth home in summer, but I wasn't sure what commercial industrial runoff to lowest lying storm drain runoff swamps like that are like for fruit eating of trees growing in them.