Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

rolandp

Re: Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

Postby rolandp » Tue May 13, 2014 8:34 am

Additional wooden stake markers have been installed, with pretty pink 'flags' on them.

In addition, three 'dismountables' have been put on the site. Not too sure if they are there for the bypass, or the rather significant land development that has been announced to the east of Gribble Road. The race is on to install the PSP prior to the land development occurring, or it will be an other land development occurring on our current route.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi Roland,

I can confirm that the three demountables that have arrived are being set up by the contractor that will be constructing the new PSP.

These are preliminary works creating a site compound prior to an imminent start on the PSP. It's happening!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 pm

CityWomble, thanks for confirming. I was concerned it may have Gribble Heights development (their name, not mine):

At least two staff on site this morning at around 7:00am, really looking forward to this one:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Diversions are now in place, entrance back to the PSP is just slightly further south on the ramp.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu May 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Yep, noticed it on the way home Wednesday afternoon, and riding in this morning I was following the truck and bobcat that were set to do the work :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu May 15, 2014 6:50 pm

I am moving south of the river in about 10 weeks, I wonder if I'll get to use the new path before I stop using this route

redned

Postby redned » Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 pm

No news from Mr Gribbleroad and his band of local opposition?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri May 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Probably too busy sitting on his rocking chair yelling "get off my lawn" to local kids
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2014 10:27 am

Main Roads WA has caught up on what is happening here and they have created a project page.

We are building a new 1.2km section of Principal Shared Path (PSP) along the western side of the Mitchell Freeway in Gwelup, linking the Erindale Road and Reid Highway underpasses.

The project started in May 2014 and should be completed within four months. The completed path will include two 1.5m lanes, sealed shoulders, lighting, retaining walls and safety barriers. It will provide a safer and more direct route for path users, especially during peak traffic periods, by reducing the need for interaction between pedestrians, cyclists and motorists.

Due to the local terrain, several retaining structures will be constructed but the grade will be limited to three percent to comply with mobility standards. Some clearing within the freeway road reserve is required for this project but will be kept to the minimum.

The following diagram shows the alignment of the new PSP:

Andrew

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Not too keen on the S around the lake, which, if going south will likely see cyclists hit it at speed. Hopefully the sight lines are good and since the traffic is mostly one way (south in the am, north in the pm) it may not be an issue. To me, keeping east of the lake until Erindale Rd would have been preferred. No doubt there is a reason for this routing. Regardless, it will be great once it is done.

Next dream is to fix up Cedric St crossing. Counted 12 waiting to cross yesterday.

Tim

BMac

Postby BMac » Thu May 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Appears to be a T intersection at Chieti Place - hope it has better visibility than those south of Erindale Rd. Might have been preferred to block this point off. It would only be a short walk/cycle to join the path near the small lake.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

as7431 wrote:No doubt there is a reason for this routing. Regardless, it will be great once it is done.
I think you might be giving to much credit to Main Roads WA. I suggest you drop Leanne Pitcher an email at lpitch@bigpond.net.au and see what the response is (BTW why does a Main Roads representative have a Bigpond email address?)

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 22, 2014 1:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:I think you might be giving to much credit to Main Roads WA. I suggest you drop Leanne Pitcher an email at lpitch@bigpond.net.au and see what the response is (BTW why does a Main Roads representative have a Bigpond email address?)
Main Roads engages a couple of 'independent' community liaison/consultation professionals for major projects.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 22, 2014 1:46 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I think you might be giving to much credit to Main Roads WA. I suggest you drop Leanne Pitcher an email at lpitch@bigpond.net.au and see what the response is (BTW why does a Main Roads representative have a Bigpond email address?)
Main Roads engages a couple of 'independent' community liaison/consultation professionals for major projects.
I appreciate that .... however, to be professional they should have (a) have a corporate email address, preferably a Main Road's one and (b) the page should clearly spell out her affiliations, more so given they are screening feedback on the project. Using a Bigpond address in 2014 in a corporate context is very unprofessional.

Andrew

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu May 22, 2014 7:07 pm

as7431 wrote:Not too keen on the S around the lake, which, if going south will likely see cyclists hit it at speed.
I don't think the S-bend should be too much trouble as it is a right-turn then left-turn bend. A cyclist going too fast turning right will end up going wide which should put them off the path (and maybe into the lake) instead of going into on-coming traffic when you run wide when turning left. If cyclists turning right choose to cut the corner into on-coming traffic there's nothing you can do with the path design to stop them except put in a divider which will usually cause more problems than it solves.

The right hand turns should also have a slightly wider radius (additional 1.5m) than the left hand turns so are easier to negotiate at speed.

The map also implies that the path to the East of the lake will be maintained (as it shows a realignment of the path joining onto the new path) so people should be able to take the other path and skip the s-bend if they want.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Its the cutting of the corner that worries me. At speed, this will be a temptation and ok provided you can see far enough ahead. For the path to the east, unless they resurface it, I am not sure it will be a good option.

Saw the work from the freeway this afternoon. Significant landscaping happening towards the north. Can't quite visualize how it will all end up on the northern half. Almost looks like the path is going to run quite close to the freeway. Must head out for an after hours explore

Tim

worzel

Postby worzel » Sun May 25, 2014 11:50 am

as7431 wrote:Saw the work from the freeway this afternoon. Significant landscaping happening towards the north. Can't quite visualize how it will all end up on the northern half. Almost looks like the path is going to run quite close to the freeway. Must head out for an after hours explore

Tim
Yes, I passed it on the freeway yesterday - lots of sand down and a roller going up and down. It does look very close to the road.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:57 pm

Saw it again yesterday and it definitely looks like the path will drop down to the freeway level (and bloody close to it too - hopefully they will install a substantial barrier) run along for a few hundred meters then climb back up the embankment to run adjacent to boundary fence of the properties. Along the section that will be at freeway level, there does not appear to be much flat land between the fence line of the houses and the drop-off of the embankment. So it appears that widening the high ground (with associated earthworks/retaining walls) was going to be more expensive than the (hopeful) installation of a barrier along the Mitchel Freeway. I suppose it is not that much different to what occurs along other parts of the path (and the Kwinana Freeway path). Just a shame that an option that kept everyone well separated was not done.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Just remembered I emailed Ms Leanne Pitcher last week. As of today no reply. Not impressed at all, more so as we are paying for her services.

Time to ask the Minister a question or three.

Regards
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 am

I did some digging tonight, and uncovered a BWA document which indicates:
Mitchell PSP – Karrinyup Road grade separation design
A concept design for an underpass structure on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway beneath Karrinyup Road has been completed. A concept design for a bridge structure was also considered. However, both structures are considered to be problematic and will not progress. DoT has directed MRWA to prepare a concept for an underpass on the eastern side of the Mitchell Freeway instead and to prepare concepts for PSP links from Civic Place to Erindale Road. Design work is underway.

Mitchell PSP – Karrinyup Road grade separation design
A concept design for an underpass structure on the west side of the Mitchell Freeway beneath Karrinyup Road has been completed. A concept design for a bridge structure was also considered. However, both structures are considered to be problematic and will not progress. DoT has directed MRWA to prepare a concept for an underpass on the eastern side of the Mitchell Freeway instead and to prepare concepts for PSP links from Civic Place to Erindale Road. Design work is underway.

The document is dated June 2012, so these things do take time.

It also does points to the PSP between Karrinyup Rd/Erindale Rd being located on the east side of the freeway, as the west side Karrinyup Rd grade separation is not possible.

If so, then the end result of the alignment of the PSP around Erindale Rd in the future (hopefully not too soon future) will look like:

This is also supported by the work occurring now, where the new shared path, is located a lot further east to the existing path, and is 'up the hill' from the existing one:

So the end result will be a lot more than a 's-shape' in my opinion, and only based on observations as unfortunately for some reason, WA Bicycle Network Plan projects are being not advertised fully.

Personally I would like to have seen the path located to the east of the lake (see my original mud map I drew up 8-odd years ago), as this gives access to the lake for those in the area, rather than have to cross a PSP, removes the s-curve and now also aligns closer to the Erindale Rd (assuming this will be a crossing in the future).

This may also explain why there was negative views from one local resident earlier on this topic, as they may also have similar views about the lake, and where the PSP should be located.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed May 28, 2014 1:25 am

Nice work Roland. I think the design is good. If it were to go on the East side of the lake, it would have to double back very sharply and steeply to get to the bridge across the freeway. The proposed design will allow a reasonable incline with good sight lines.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Well I got a response from Ms Pitcher, Media and Communications Consultant after poking MainRoads WA on Twitter and asking if I should contact the Minister to have their consultants do their job ... within two hours I had an email :)

The response was ...

Andrew, I can advise the following:

1) The design of the path provides adequate sight lines based on the design requirements for a PSP. The altered alignment of the PSP at the north exit of the underpass, for both north and southbound cyclists, now provides much greater sight distance and improved visibility. As we are ensuring a maximum grade along this section of PSP, we are also providing greater amenity for those that may have mobility issues. Regular trimming of the surrounding vegetation will be carried out to maintain suitable sight distances.

2) Where the existing paths connect to the main PSP alignment, just to the north of the underpas,s we are installing symbolic GIVEWAY signage to enhance the safety of all PSP users.

3) The PSP alignment was kept to the west of the lake because it is easier to provide grades suitable for people with mobility issues. Another factor in the decision-making process was to identify access requirements for current path users, and a number of these are pedestrians that come in from the west side via the existing Erindale Road concrete path as well as areas to the west of Gribble Road.

I hope this helps

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:Well I got a response from Ms Pitcher, Media and Communications Consultant after poking MainRoads WA on Twitter and asking if I should contact the Minister to have their consultants do their job ... within two hours I had an email :)
That's one way of making things get done :mrgreen:

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu May 29, 2014 8:10 pm

I noticed that the contractor is WBHO from the signage, I'm working with them on another contract at the moment, I might be able to get hold of some info or designs

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 am

First time I have seen the work site in semi daylight. Man they are moving some earth around for the southern part of this PSP!

Just saying it appears to be a bigger project than what it needed to be.