Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

citywomble

Re: Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

Postby citywomble » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:55 pm

That's what happens when you design to meet disability standards and a 3% maximum gradient for a bike path.

Not only the earthmoving but the trees destroyed to do be able to move the earth.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:25 am

Overhead lights are also in the process of being installed north of Gribble Rd to Reid Hway - hopefully they will continue north after Reid Hway.

There have been lots of 'hate' letters in the local rag relating to cutting down of trees - cyclists are caught in the middle, as we aren't requesting the 3%. It again demonstrates the issues with shared paths, and at some point dedicated cycle paths need to be installed against the freeways/railway lines. As it is only a max. 3% gradient, this means we can go really fast, so there will be soon complaints of fast cyclists on PSP.

I've already been told I was going too fast through the works area, looked down, and I was travelling 15kph. I think the suggestion for slowing down was a 'scared reaction' due to several earth moving vehicles using the PSP to get to where they need to install the ditches for those lights, and they were taking up 80% of the PSP, and there was no-one checking to see if there were any traffic on the PSP at that time - there was - me.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Viewing it from the car recently, there's so much work going on I initially thought they were building a new off ramp for cars!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:32 am

I think it is a trial run for Reid Highway Duplication (Erindale Road to Duffy Road). That's going to make the PSP upgrade seem tiny. Contract to be awarded later this year.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Beware- there is a new diversion around the southern portion of Gribble Road- the path now follows the new path alignment from Erindale Road and exits at the old Gribble Road exit. There is lots of loose gravel and is slippery as all heck. The workers have a guy stationed there to advise on safety of the exit onto Gribble Road- made me feel special for 2 seconds.

It is a lot better than the old diversion regardless.

worzel

Postby worzel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:55 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Beware- there is a new diversion around the southern portion of Gribble Road- the path now follows the new path alignment from Erindale Road and exits at the old Gribble Road exit. There is lots of loose gravel and is slippery as all heck. The workers have a guy stationed there to advise on safety of the exit onto Gribble Road- made me feel special for 2 seconds.

It is a lot better than the old diversion regardless.
You beat me to it. When I passed about 5pm there was a ute parked over the new / original exit and the temporary one is now closed off - I noticed a few heading southbound go past the new entry point scratching their heads. There are no signs as you come under the underpass northbound to warn you of the loose surface, I was lucky to stay on as there is about 20mm of very loose stuff on the new alignment.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 pm

I went through around 4pm, first time I've seen this project in day light.

I stopped and had a word with the 'traffic controller' indicating dismount or loose gravel signs were required as in the next hour there would 100's of cyclists using this section with no pre-warning that road conditions had changed and this section was almost non-rideable. In particular in the dark. Sorry mate, don't have any of those signs.

I then reported to Main Roads my concern, and very helpful lady indicated she would report this direct to the contactors doing this work.

Maybe the 'ute' was their solution to the problem.

Noticed earlier warning posts from you guys, so headed out to an appointment.

I was fortunate to ride this section in day light, I would hate to come across it at my normal commute time when it is pitch black at this section.

sorted

Postby sorted » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:25 pm

I was fortunate to ride this section in day light, I would hate to come across it at my normal commute time when it is pitch black at this section.
Yes, it was a bit tricky in the dark this evening. Fortunately it was quiet and today was a recovery ride, so I was going gently.

They're getting on well with the works, though - I'm looking forward to no longer having to cut across the road before the blind bend at the top of the hill to rejoin the northbound PSP.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:45 pm

I hit it heading north at around 3:45pm yesterday and was glad for my wide tyres, I slowed right down and it felt reasonably secure but I wouldn't want to have hit it at speed
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

worzel

Postby worzel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Path completely closed at the north end tonight. Quite a long diversion down Balcatta Road towards the coast, over a bridge and round. At least this one was well signposted.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Hit the diversion around 8pm this evening - really, really wish that MainRoads would advise us of these diversions, as I rode up Gribble Rd, crossed over to the PSP, and then directed back to Gribble Rd/Balcatta Rd. You then ride along Balcatta Rd, going 'Are we turning yet, nope' - around 1km later, we are directed down Pendine St where there is a 'pedestrian bridge' over Reid Hway, and you then follow the PSP next to Reid Hway for another 1km to join the Mitchell Fway PSP.

So according to MainRoads update on this project:
Changes for cyclists and pedestrians
A short section of the existing path (approx. 100m) which currently runs parallel to Gribble Road has been closed.
Gribble Road can still be used by cyclists to access the Erindale Road underpass.

It is a 2km diversion now.

Personally, consider using sections of Duffy Rd, as this joins back to Excalibur Way further north, and is quicker to get back on to the PSP - you can still use the 'pedestrian overpass bridge' over Reid Hway:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 am

Yep rather annoying that no mention of path closures- and for how long?

Not too bad_ I cut back up Reid Highway and crossed the Highway onto Duffy Road / North beach Road rejoining the PSP at Karrinyup Rd but I am happy to ride on these roads, worst parts are crossing Reid Highway and the uphill section of North Beach Road (for other vehicles)

marcelof

Postby marcelof » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:41 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned but some sort of work is being done on Excalibur way, which (as I havent ridden there for a bit) I presume is to fix the damn state of the path, though I see most cyclists use the left side of the road when riding North which is a bit of a worry when you get to the bend on the road where the PSP resumes...

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned but some sort of work is being done on Excalibur way, which (as I havent ridden there for a bit) I presume is to fix the damn state of the path, though I see most cyclists use the left side of the road when riding North which is a bit of a worry when you get to the bend on the road where the PSP resumes...
It has been mentioned in another thread, however, the works are now completed and a new section of PSP has been constructed separate to the park path which now removes the Y junction and conflict with park users. A joint effort between Main Roads WA and City of Stirling.

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Nearmap June 15th Update - a bit late, but latest available at the moment;

worzel

Postby worzel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Interesting that there are two routes around the small lake at the southern end. The eastern one avoids the two sharp bends but has a t-junction. Also interesting how close to the freeway it gets half way - maybe an opportunity to grab hold of a passing car for a lift? :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 pm

The ramp at the south/west end has been removed with the ground level raised to that height - this is so much ground work occurring and it is largely not for our benefit.

Feedback from MainRoads:
I can further advise that the detour will only be in place till the new path is asphalted on Wednesday or Thursday next week. During this period we will have full time traffic control in place during daylight hours to ensure safe access is in place over the weekend. This work has deliberately been scheduled during the school holidays while traffic volumes are lower.

ikm

Postby ikm » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I realise that the work needs to be done, but it is enough fun riding through the gravel without dodging cars...

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I asked about the gravel and response from MainRoads consultant:
This surface is not gravel, it is a 7mm emulsion seal on top of limestone.

So can we please all stop referring to gravel in future posts. We are all wrong, it is not gravel.

Since that diversion has been in place, I've been avoiding this area, and being using North Beach Road. If you can handle the motorists, it is not a bad route and I may have to suggest to MainRoads to lower the 60kph limit here, and start using it as my daily commute (subject to shared path signs also being installed on the bridge).

ikm

Postby ikm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm

OK, sorry. Is this better?
ikm wrote:I realise that the work needs to be done, but it is enough fun riding through the gravel dangerous slippery not so sealed rocky emulsiony crap without dodging cars...
I'm just glad I was on my CX bike, that can't be fun on skinny road tyres.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 pm

Much better, and I provided a similar photo showing the wheel tracks through the gravel 7mm emulsion seal on top of limestone.

So it is now past Wednesday or Thursday. Has the northern end opened up?

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:33 pm

On Thurs night, heading north, I decided to cut the hill corner off the detour and went left down a side road (Exmouth Vista), and then joined back on the detour route, when I arrived at the northern end of the detour, there was no signs or blockades on the path.

I know I shouldn't assume but i think the path may be opened up again.

sorted

Postby sorted » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Yes, the Northern end was open again this morning.

Not having to make the 2km detour around the closed section did cheer me up until I got to the bottom of the hill on Gribble Road to find the the section with the 7mm-emulsion-limestone surface nightmare was shut! Although it's only a 1km detour, with fewer hills and roundabouts, so not all bad.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:51 am

Northern end 'open' Friday evening:
You walk your bike around this.

Southern end, we are once again diverted to the ramp, which is no longer a ramp as it is now at 'ground level'. And, no more gravel 7mm emulsion seal on top of limestone

But the end is in sight - view from the northern end of the new section:
Southern end has also been 'black stuffed' around the lake. Will be interested to see how much has been completed to join up the ends.

Also heard back from MainRoads, those new overhead lights will only go to Reid Hway (unclear where they will start from the south).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah I noticed on the drive home Friday I could now see a shiny new surface on the path I could see from freeway north.

Was there a rough date for total completion of the project?