Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

redned

Re: Mitchell Fway PSP - Gribble Rd, Gwelup bypass

Postby redned » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

rolandp wrote:Southern end has also been 'black stuffed' around the lake.

That's not just black stuff. Its 7mm emulsion seal on top of limestone with added black stuff.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:58 am

Mububban wrote:Yeah I noticed on the drive home Friday I could now see a shiny new surface on the path I could see from freeway north.

Was there a rough date for total completion of the project?
MainRoads website indicates:
The project started in May 2014 and should be completed within four months

Northern end still has that small diversion, but loving that '7mm emulsion seal on top of limestone with added black stuff' - thanks redned for this detailed description.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Saw from the freeway that they have painted lines om the path and removed the demountables. Anyone know if it is open yet? Looked pretty near to being open

Tim

BMac

Postby BMac » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 am

Wasn't open tonight. The path was marked with temporary lines at the south end today. Shouldn't be much longer unless they keep it closed for planting/reveg work.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:49 am

Double confirmation, still not open.

Their initial estimates were May 2014 for 4 months, so based on this schedule, it is not scheduled to open until the end of August. There are still things like overhead lights to be installed.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 am

Went that way this morning to have and look and stopped to ask as they were "working" at the northern entry (in reality one was re-tieing the barricade and 6 were watching). They said line painting should be done by the end of today, but they have been instructed to keep the path closed until the installation of the lights is complete, which is another 4-6 weeks away as there has been a delay with the light poles. He mentions lights will go "all the way back beyond Reid Hwy". He also mentioned that they had see see tree dugites on the path, so in summer, there may be a few more to look out for.

ejaycarroll

Postby ejaycarroll » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 am

I'm getting the feeling they just don't want bicycles anywhere near them, their houses or their second cousin's dog for that matter...

http://inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-vi ... n/7663022/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wexford

Postby wexford » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I didn't get any sense of whining about cyclists in that article. Their concerns look to be freeway noise and taggers targeting new walls (or the back of their fences, now that the PSP will open up access to them). And perhaps privacy where their fences are too low.

They seem to be legitimate complaints to me. All are being addressed, though, so nothing to see here folks!

archetuthus

Postby archetuthus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

to me you would think residents would be happy about this upgrade. no more cyclists on gribble road making the road safer for their vehicles. And the tagging part - the best bit is its more than likely one of the local residents children who put up the graffiti in the middle of the night.

cherrycam

Postby cherrycam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 pm

Lets just hope we all stay safe in the meantime. I'm not sure why they don't open it then close as required as they will need to close the section closer to Reid hwy at some time anyway.

Can't wait till it does open. That short bit of detour to get to gribble road at the southern end seems to have negative friction

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Nearmap update 01/08/2014;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:26 am

Shot of the fencing installed:

I really wonder why Australia has national standards (AusRoads) which indicates:
• Where both the areas beside the path and the path alignment are both relatively flat a lateral clearance of at least 1.0 m (0.5 m absolute minimum) should be provided between the edge of any path for cycling and any obstacle, which if struck may result in cyclists losing control or being injured. However, on high-speed paths it is most desirable to have a clearance considerably greater than 1.0m.
• Where it is considered that a hazard beside the path has attributes that could cause serious injury to cyclists (e.g. sharp surfaces such as the rear side of the posts and rails of steel Wbeam road safety barrier), designers should assess the risk of cyclists losing control on the particular section of path, and consider either increasing the lateral clearance or shielding cyclists from the hazard. Depending on the situation a rub rail behind the posts or a cyclist fence near the edge of the path could be provided.

With that upper barrier being installed (is this a rub rail with joins that will cause injury?), and not getting a tape measure out, I estimate there is a 20cm clearance. From the NearMap shots, there is a lot of available land to have the national standard required distance.

I've already brought this observation up with Department of Transport in March-2014(no response), time to ask the Minister of Transport, using this as an additional case.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:00 pm

It continues to baffle me why things can not be done properly the first time. Surely someone in DOT has read the national standards? Perhaps it was the work experience kid.

Does anyone know if there will be any barriers placed along side the freeway to prevent a side-swiped car from ending up on the path? The installed fence appears completely inadequate. Given the recent reports of this happening SOR and proximity of the Reid Hwy exit (ie a driver makes a sudden decision to exit from the wrong lane collecting the car in the adjacent lane), I see this as a significant possibility.

Tim

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Giddy up!

I wonder what the idea of having the barrier style is? Why not just a rail directly over the fencing?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Makes it slightly more challenging for some twit to climb over I guess?

b.c.

Postby b.c. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:10 am

the path was open briefly very early on 21/08. lovely bit of work. *thanks* *gratitude* *smiling*

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Fencing installed northern end:
Now, either I've got VERY large feet, or the 1m AusRoads standard has once again not been applied for this project.

No prizes for getting the answer correct. Or hinting that I've used a very hairy ruler.

Leadlined

Postby Leadlined » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:19 am

Travelling from the north this morning, I found the path open (without any barriers in sight). Awesome ! But, at the southern end, it's still closed off. What's with that ?
Very nice addition to the freeway cycle path. Long overdue !

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:20 pm

I was also caught out this morning (around 6:30am), as northern end - zero signs installed, southern end:
Note I did remove the 'plastic stuff' which was originally on the ground, and we were all trying to get through with it wrapping around pedals and cleats.

Reported to MainRoads (as b.c. reported this happened to him on 21/8). Not good news that someone is deliberating removing these signs, as there could be workers/materials/holes/etc which if we cycled into would not be nice.

Both ends were again closed when I cycled through around 6:30pm.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

Spotted on Friday morning, the light poles:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:36 pm

So is the aim to have this diversion fenced off and unused for eternity?

Anyone have info on an opening date?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 pm

My understanding is that it is not yet complete as it is waiting for the streetlighting to be installed.

There is a logic that as the shared paths before and after are not lit this would be just as useable without, however, I suspect there is a good reason why it isn't open.

I suspect that until the works are complete, including streetlights, that 'practical completion' will not take place.

If that is the case then the contractor remains legally liable for this 'worksite' and it does not become a public path until formally handed over/back to the client MRWA as a completed path.

I will contact MRWA tomorrow to see of they have an explanation that can be shared here and an ETA for opening.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Advice from MRWA is that the new path remains closed while the contractor is installing the new streetlights.

It is, therefore, still a worksite and that contractors may be working at any time.

It is still on schedule to open this month.

sim-o

Postby sim-o » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:09 pm

as7431 wrote:He also mentioned that they had see see tree dugites on the path
Yea, I've seen a snake along this section before, although that was on a summer afternoon.
2011 Merida Ride 93
2012 Apollo MTB

as7431

Postby as7431 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Saw lots of lights installed driving past this afternoon. The density of light poles seemed very high, so there should be excellent night time visibility. Also saw someone riding the path! The top end still appeared to be blocked off.

Tim