Tydeman Road Thread - All things Tydeman

88mph

Tydeman Road Thread - All things Tydeman

Postby 88mph » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:15 pm

Possibly the sketchiest stretch of road in Perth, I thought I'd start a fresh thread dedicated to the black-spot that is Tydeman Road.

Somethings we may want to discuss:
  • Suggested improvements (Local Council and State Government Level)
    Near Misses
    Reporting dangerous drivers
    etc
Hopefully this thread can be used to alert other riders and perhaps if we have enough information, it could be presented to Council or Main Roads.

88mph

Re: Tydeman Road Thread - All things Tydeman

Postby 88mph » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Riding through today I've noticed a fresh set of truck skid marks across/along the PSP immediately west of the train crossing. Looks like a truck was out of control and vered straight onto the PSP.

There were no chalk outlines of body parts, so I assume no riders down.

wexford

Postby wexford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Hate it. I used to go along Port Beach Road (nice sprint), then started taking the "cheaters lane" shortcut, then the new path/shortcut that spits you out near the lights. Bonus - you get to ride along Pearse St and check out the lovely cottages!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

City of Freo has some money for design of a PSP link from Tydeman Road to the bridge:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... 3_2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really wish PTA would provide more convenient level crossings - the current crossing at North Freo station is a joke if you are just wanting to cross on that north-south desire line.

I find the Queen Victoria St/Tydeman Rd intersection easy enough to cross from north to south, if a tad slow and noisy.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:36 pm

wellington_street wrote:City of Freo has some money for design of a PSP link from Tydeman Road to the bridge:
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... 3_2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the proposal is to build a path behind the Swan Hotel (?) .

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:34 pm

Hopefully it includes something to help cross Tydeman Road from Pearse Street - even kerb ramps would help.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm

wellington_street wrote:Hopefully it includes something to help cross Tydeman Road from Pearse Street - even kerb ramps would help.
I would hope any futre PSP would follow the route I've quickly marked up below, with a proper overpass at Tydeman Road

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I would say that is the plan, however I don't think there's any likelihood of funding for the Tydeman Road overpass in the near future.

jlh

Postby jlh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Honestly I don't find this stretch of road that bad, not worst in perth IMO. There are 3 lanes and there is plenty of time to look back and see if any traffic. I regularly ride on this road in traffic and so far no problems.

88mph

Postby 88mph » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Riding through this evening, I noticed a heap of new surveyor spray paint all over the foot path under and around the rail bridge.

Looks like something is going on here in the form or roadworks or a new path. Anyone have any ideas?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 pm

Try the 2013/14 local government grants.

PSP Design – Fremantle Line, North Fremantle Tydeman Road to Queen Victoria Bridge (east side)
$15,400
3m red asphalt principal shared path (design) Length: 450m (design)

Maybe the markers are to help with the design, or hopefully they are out of the design phase and into implementation phase.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm

I have raised the questions on the Fremantle BUG Facebook page to see if anyone knows anything. If I don't get much response (Councillor Sam is on hols I think and he is the goto man here) I will follow-up next week with the engineering people and try and get an answer.

Andrew

88mph

Postby 88mph » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:I have raised the questions on the Fremantle BUG Facebook page to see if anyone knows anything. If I don't get much response (Councillor Sam is on hols I think and he is the goto man here) I will follow-up next week with the engineering people and try and get an answer.

Andrew
Awesome, cheers Andrew :D

88mph

Postby 88mph » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Not sure if anyone else has been buzzed by this nutcase on Tydeman Road in past, but there are 3 people in my office alone that have had this guy deliberately drive as close as possible while riding on Tydeman.

My incident occurred near the rail crossing and entry into cheaters lane. Before crossing into Tydeman I saw the white excel as pictured below traveling west towards Port Beach - he was in the left lane. After crossing and riding in the slip-lane entrance for Cheaters Lane, the excel flew past me on my left hand side at 80km/h+ and missing me by only millimeters. After buzzing me on the right hand side of the road, he pulled back across into the left hand lane and turned left into Port Beach Road. This guy went out of his way, crossing to the far right hand side of the road and back again.

he was wearing high vis and I'm assuming he's a port worker of some description.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this guy.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/ ... ~/$_75.JPG

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:23 pm

88mph wrote:Not sure if anyone else has been buzzed by this nutcase on Tydeman Road in past, but there are 3 people in my office alone that have had this guy deliberately drive as close as possible while riding on Tydeman.
If you raise it with the WA Police at Fremantle, make sure you have a bell on your bike ... seems that is more important than dealing with this sort of driving behaviour.

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:21 am

Aushiker wrote:
88mph wrote:Not sure if anyone else has been buzzed by this nutcase on Tydeman Road in past, but there are 3 people in my office alone that have had this guy deliberately drive as close as possible while riding on Tydeman.
If you raise it with the WA Police at Fremantle, make sure you have a bell on your bike ... seems that is more important than dealing with this sort of driving behaviour.

Andrew
This is pretty ridiculous.

The other day I was waiting at the signals to cross Riverside Drive into Victoria Ave, behind two policemen on bicycles. Both policemen crossed against the red signal, including potentially getting hit by vehicles as they had to awkwardly stage in the middle of the road, before proceeding up Victoria Ave. Some example to set for this cyclist.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Not quite Tydeman Road, but they do intersect ... truck rolled over this morning.

This is the path BTW ...

Andrew

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:29 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
This is pretty ridiculous.

The other day I was waiting at the signals to cross Riverside Drive into Victoria Ave, behind two policemen on bicycles. Both policemen crossed against the red signal, including potentially getting hit by vehicles as they had to awkwardly stage in the middle of the road, before proceeding up Victoria Ave. Some example to set for this cyclist.
My office is near there (intersection of adelaide tce and hill st) and I have seen the bike police do similar at the lights outside the office on several occasions. Sets a damned poor example.