PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Mythagoz

Re: PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby Mythagoz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Just a heads up that ~100 riders on the Prostate Active Ride (http://www.prostateactive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) will be heading south from the city on the Kwinana Freeway PSP from ~7:15am on Friday 12/9/2014. We'll be maintaining single file and splitting up into smaller groups of 16.

We'll be keeping an eye out for speedy commuters and hope you will all keep an eye out for us too.

Cheers,
Chad

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Nice to not have to do the Mill Point Road lights anymore, but I keep still keep having to brake at the bottom of the Narrows heading south for various reasons. Yesterday it was because I had to make a detour to the river edge to watch a dolphin.

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:33 pm

It's tough eh? Someone has to take in the sights whilst slogging to and from work. I certainly don't miss my UK car commute and hope I never have to go back to doing 2-3hrs a day getting to and from work...the journey along the river is quite often the highlight of my working day!

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Mythagoz wrote:Hi all,

Just a heads up that ~100 riders on the Prostate Active Ride (http://www.prostateactive.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) will be heading south from the city on the Kwinana Freeway PSP from ~7:15am on Friday 12/9/2014. We'll be maintaining single file and splitting up into smaller groups of 16.

We'll be keeping an eye out for speedy commuters and hope you will all keep an eye out for us too.

Cheers,
Chad
Saw you guys this morning, good job on the turnout and I hope you raised some good money....however, you were anything but split into groups, but one line, and whoever stopped just after canning bridge, meaning the snake was stopping and weaving across the path at the blind bend needs their head read, that was very close to causing a collision

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Cheers,
Chad
Saw you guys go past while I was doing Limestone wall by the freeway. I was wondering what it was all for.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:50 am

ramp wrote:I felt like Capt de Groot crashing the opening of the Harbour Bridge Monday morning. As noted by others the PSP is not ready for traffic, but not far off. An easy opportunity to ride over some surprise stairs to the water that have yet to have rails, unsealed cut sections and yet to be swept. I have become somewhat attached to the detour route and might consider keeping it for one way just for variety
Are you a butter too? ;)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

paul85

Postby paul85 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Is this path unbroken the whole way to where ever it ends? There is little decent information on the internet that I can find even a decent map of this path.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:01 am

It's broken at Cranford Ave/Selway Rd in Bateman but, AFAIK, is otherwise unbroken from Perth to Pinjarra Rd.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:55 pm

paul85 wrote:Is this path unbroken the whole way to where ever it ends? There is little decent information on the internet that I can find even a decent map of this path.
go to Google, click on Maps, if Perth doesnt come up, then use Perth as your search term, click on Directions, click on the bicycle logo as method of transport.

Magically the screen will fill with a spiders web of green lines. Zoom in and follow the green line down the Kwinana. I think the latest path opening at the Narrows is missing but otherwise seems to be accurate.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:10 pm

Scott_C wrote:It's broken at Cranford Ave/Selway Rd in Bateman but, AFAIK, is otherwise unbroken from Perth to Pinjarra Rd.
Other than Cranford Ave break in goes all the way to South Yunderup unbroken.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

worzel

Postby worzel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:50 pm

So apart from 200m where you jump on to a quiet road you can do the whole way on a shared path? There must be 20 or more transitions from path to road between Joondalup and Perth on the Mitchell PSP, with several dodgy road crossings to boot.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Yeah, most of the kwinana path is like the NOR section from currambine to Edgewater. I used to think the NOR path was great until I moved SOR

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:45 pm

GingaNinja wrote:Great surface, should now stand up to all the maintenance cars travelling over it. lovely to no longer have to pick the lines to avoid the cracks.
Lots of areas still where it is clear that the river swells will rise up and onto the path, hence the flooding of Kwi Monday afternoon.
The laying of rocks and the outward lipped edge of the limestone blocks at Mill Pt Road entrance is a nice bit of engineering. Pity about the camber.
Looking forward to clear weather and the clean up of the path.
With the winds I cherish the vegetation along the nature reserve and thought of helping plant out any exposed areas. Who would we turn to to volunteer for this?
Being a reserve, that section should only and will only be planted in accordance with the needs of the reserve, regardless of requests from the public.

Next time anyone is riding northwards along that section cast your mind back to earlier times and the contribution of overhanging vegetation to poor line-of-sight, path width and the need for to regularly deviate in the direction of oncoming traffic to that vegetation. Also recall the improvement when that vegetation is cut back. It's particularly bad when the scrub is laden with rain.

I suspect that not many have twigged to how much of the improvement we saw when the middle section was reopened is due to cutting back the overhang. In time the vegetation will again impinge on our path. I'd be more interested in addressing cutting back overhang which seems to not be a problem with the experts. For a while I have been considering how to go about having it more regularly cut back, possibly offering the authorities some supporting labour from volunteer cyclists.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:54 pm

The sections in Bateman opened up just as I was leaving for Europe. I will be trying them out soon just for the hell of it.

There can't be too many places that have a 75km stretch of quality bike path that (with the exception of the the trifling bit around Cranford Avenue) never requires a rider to venture along or across a road.

About all it needs now are banked curves for those mornings that I feel the need for speed. :mrgreen:

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm new to this PSP as apart from the bit from Canning bridge to the overpass I hadn't ridden it until it reopened recently. Having ridden both sides of the river from Canning Bridge to Mt Henry bridge I much prefer riding The Avenue. Yes it can be busy at times, one has to share with cars, and the traffic calming furnture does make it tight in places, but the surface and lack of foot traffic and the ability to ride constantly at 30kmh+ makes it preferable to the shared path adjacent to the freeway. I'm guessing by the behavior of drivers it gets it's fair share of cyclists so they do appear make room. :D
Gordon

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:10 pm

flashpixx wrote:I'm new to this PSP as apart from the bit from Canning bridge to the overpass I hadn't ridden it until it reopened recently. Having ridden both sides of the river from Canning Bridge to Mt Henry bridge I much prefer riding The Avenue. Yes it can be busy at times, one has to share with cars, and the traffic calming furnture does make it tight in places, but the surface and lack of foot traffic and the ability to ride constantly at 30kmh+ makes it preferable to the shared path adjacent to the freeway. I'm guessing by the behavior of drivers it gets it's fair share of cyclists so they do appear make room. :D
If you are referring to The Esplanade then yes. I ride that stretch a few hundred times a year, weekdays and weekends, mornings and evenings. I recall little in the way of tooting hoons, surprising moves by either motorists or drivers. Besides, it is less boring than riding the Manning side. Good choice.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Cheers,
Chad
I'll try to slow down if I see you approaching. :D

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:

Cheers,
Chad
I'll try to slow down if I see you approaching. :D
Been and gone dude...
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote: If you are referring to The Esplanade then yes. I ride that stretch a few hundred times a year, weekdays and weekends, mornings and evenings. I recall little in the way of tooting hoons, surprising moves by either motorists or drivers. Besides, it is less boring than riding the Manning side. Good choice.
That'd be the one... :D
Gordon