PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Baalzamon

Re: PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 am

Lucky they have done this now. Imagine if they had waited 5-10 years what might have happened.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

softy

Postby softy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Well with this awful weather lately I have been staying on labouchere road longer.

Much less wind and river spray from melville water. That limestone wall is just to low. You still get hit from lumps of water from the wave crests. Be great on a fine day, but give me the new shoulder on labouchere road thanks when the weather turns foul.

All that sand and water with howling winds doesn't work for me. :(

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

Update. Fresh bitumen has been laid to the existing unsealed section around the Mill Point Road on ramp. The sheet pile installation looks complete and works on the limestone wall have recommenced.
2011 CANNONDALE SUPERSIX SUPER RECORD TEAM LIQUIGAS
2013 CANNONDALE SLICE RS BLACK Inc
2013 CANNONDALE SCALPEL 29ER CARBON 1

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Drive by update: The barrier limestone wall just South of the Mill Point Rd on ramp is being increased in height, I reckon you could just about be below the top height if you tucked down. There is a sloping limestone retaining wall on the river side of the sheet pile, well advanced.

A ute was also driving along the PSP with pruned branches in the back. Busy busy!

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Kwinana Freeway PSP upgrade delayed
Decay in the river wall has delayed the completion of the Kwinana Freeway Principal Shared Path (PSP) upgrade through South Perth.
Stage 1 of the upgraded path, from Preston Street footbridge to Hardy Street, opened in June to accolades from cyclists who welcomed the additional width and improved alignment.
Unfortunately, Stage 2 from Hardy Street to the Narrows Bridge has been delayed as significant decay has been discovered in the existing river wall, which supports the PSP. 10m of the wall collapsed during Monday's wild storm surges, and up to 160m of the wall is considered unsafe and needs additional strengthening works.
We will be working around the clock where possible to complete emergency repair works on the decayed wall and finish Stage 2 of the PSP upgrade. Once the wall is stabilised, the contractor will focus on the main PSP works.
The emergency works on the river wall, and the remaining PSP upgrade, will take up to eight weeks to complete, during which time the current detour for cyclists will remain in place.

Visit the Kwinana Freeway Principal Shared Path page for further information on the project.

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/AboutMa ... 8OPG_mSx3E

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:23 pm

And I thought about that yesterday when I was cycling.....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Red Rider wrote:Drive by update: The barrier limestone wall just South of the Mill Point Rd on ramp is being increased in height, I reckon you could just about be below the top height if you tucked down. There is a sloping limestone retaining wall on the river side of the sheet pile, well advanced.

A ute was also driving along the PSP with pruned branches in the back. Busy busy!
I trust that they are doing something about the steps there as well. It has always been waiting to catch a rider who is a little too fat to the left. And not at all obvious.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:00 pm

I can't help thinking that if they had worked with a sense of urgency at the beginning of the project (10/05), and carried out works through the night at that time, the works would have been completed before the winter weather set in, and the collapse of the wall could have been avoided.

If this was my project to manage, I would probably be a frequent visitor to Seek.com or Centrelink by now !

--Rusty

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Robinho wrote:
Red Rider wrote:The project web page was last updated on 13th June, saying it "should be completed in early July, subject to weather conditions". Seems a bit optimistic, but surely they can't be too far out with the estimation made only a couple weeks ago :|
I'm sure anyone in construction will confirm that a 4 week estimate to completion at 4 weeks from the estimated completion date is nearly always 4 weeks wrong!
I called it. It's now 8 weeks!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Rusty6149 wrote:I can't help thinking that if they had worked with a sense of urgency at the beginning of the project (10/05), and carried out works through the night at that time, the works would have been completed before the winter weather set in, and the collapse of the wall could have been avoided.

If this was my project to manage, I would probably be a frequent visitor to Seek.com or Centrelink by now !

--Rusty
Everyone thinks it is easy. Except those that do it I suspect.

Quite obviously cost gets in the way of evening work as a default option. So to tender for it would require extra cost loaded on top of it. Meaning less other cycle-related works for you and me.

As for urgency, yes. If they had thrown their resources at it as soon as possible. I'd be factoring that in at extra cost too if I was tendering. Again less other works.

But to think along those lines is to think that a project manager and his firm have only one job going and the same for all the supporting subbies, suppliers, etc. A project manager juggles many things, unlike me doing my garden makeover. I would expect that the societal losses of out path being late to finish is a lot less than those of some of the contractors other works. So far I am having to leave somewhat earlier than otherwise for a few months. I can't see a lot of flow on effects to the rest of society.

Not every project can be treated as though it is the only thing the contractor is working on. Ditto the subbies and the suppliers.

Things do not always go perfectly even for an experienced and capable project manager. To drop him/her based singularly on a project not going according to plan is not smart management. If the project manager loses his job it will be on a more complex assessment than not having pulled resources from other jobs just in case something unforeseen crops up in this particular one.

Patience - it will be done. And, hopefully, done well and with durability.

My concern is the extra cost involved. It must be substantial. And that means that other cycling infrastructure work will be deferred or never done. :cry:

(Waits for the inevitable flurry of perfect project managers claiming it never happens to them.)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Robinho wrote:
Robinho wrote:
Red Rider wrote:The project web page was last updated on 13th June, saying it "should be completed in early July, subject to weather conditions". Seems a bit optimistic, but surely they can't be too far out with the estimation made only a couple weeks ago :|
I'm sure anyone in construction will confirm that a 4 week estimate to completion at 4 weeks from the estimated completion date is nearly always 4 weeks wrong!
I called it. It's now 8 weeks!
Pls, give me a heads up on the Melbourne cup. :mrgreen:

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am

One approach to these kind of jobs is to put in a low tender and make money from the variations - delays additional work etc. So the contractor could be doing ok out of it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 pm

mikedufty wrote:One approach to these kind of jobs is to put in a low tender and make money from the variations - delays additional work etc. So the contractor could be doing ok out of it.
Could indeed if the contractor did no have a full book of projects - I imagine the works for the part concerned are many times greater than originally mooted.

On the other hand, if he already had a heavy load then it could be an unwelcome source of stress who's extra revenue is offset to an extent with difficulties and added expenses being pressed onto other works.

The former is more likely I guess.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Latest Update
Unfortunately the delay is out of our hands and is the result of the river wall rectification works.

The contractor is currently working nights and weekends in order to get this finished and has given us a revised completion date of mid-September, which we will hold them to.

Thanks for your patience

Leanne Pitcher

Media & Communications Consultant
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm

My drive by on Sunday showed some nice block work behind the on ramp. There is a low limestone wall on the retaining with a steel barrier on top. Obviously i couldn't see entirely around the on ramp, but from what I could tell the walls look to be complete.

ETA is about a month away now.

softy

Postby softy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Drove passed today, looks like they are laying the ashphalt. :)

Doesn't look to far away.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Looks like it's coming on, had a gawp from the train this morning. Can't wait to try it out

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Yep. Just went past on the train. New surface has just been laid. Looking good!!

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:04 am

Lots of activity this morning.

Is it possible they will open the path before mid-September, and claim a performance bonus ? ;)

--Rusty

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm

Fingers crossed for an imminent opening, they do seem to be back onto the works on the path itself

newblah

Postby newblah » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Looked to me like they just needed to paint the lines on the newly laid surface and re-open! No doubt they will keep toying away for another 2 weeks to be able to justify the additional costs to the project.

SNAKE ®

Postby SNAKE ® » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:29 pm

I recall the open section of this PSP was painted and ready to got for several weeks before they opened it up.
But yeah, the sooner the better.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 pm

They were fixing up / replacing the fence between road and path this arvo.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:41 pm

It's OPEN!! Had a quick spin tonight testing my new TWE 32S 23mm rear wheel. Came over the Hardey St footbridge and voila it was open, so I rode down it on the way back from Mt Henry Bridge. :D :D

newblah

Postby newblah » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:26 am

Best news. Looking forward to it tomorrow