PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

JAB1982

PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby JAB1982 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi All,

Was out for a ride this morning and saw this new sign up along the PSP on the Kwinana Freeway. Did a search and hadn't seen anything on it but it'll require closure of the PSP for up to 5 months to widen the path and erect new river walls. Image

Here is the link to the Main Roads article. https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/Buildin ... -Path.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will require a bit of detour but hopefully the end result will be worth it!

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyHumber

Re: PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive info links, Jason.

Now, shall we start taking bets how long the initially projected 5 months will get blown out by?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

dampier

Postby dampier » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:19 pm

I will put my money on Christmas.

ramp

Postby ramp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 am

Needs work and the heavy volumes using the path are such that it needs to happen soon. I do fear that on the other side of this when we have a smoother, straighter, wider PSP that the problems with riders 2 up and overtaking into oncoming at speed might just be worse. Labouchere for me.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:02 am

There's more info on theMain Roads website, as linked earlier by the OP. Looks annoying but not a burden to Xmas, the promise is that it will start in 'early 2014' and take 3 months.
"In early 2014, a contractor will begin widening the PSP to four metres where possible. A pre-cast concrete wave deflector wall will be installed on the retaining wall near Judd Street to minimise river overflow in high tidal and severe weather conditions. The sloping revetment on the bank of the Swan River between Bowman Street and Lyall Street will also be strengthened"
and
"Main Roads has carefully scheduled this project to take advantage of low tides and the summer months, to ensure the work can be completed as quickly and safely as possible. While this project will initially require complete closure of the PSP between Cale Street and The Narrows, it will be programmed to allow for staged re-opening and the contractor will be working around-the-clock to minimise disruption to cyclists and pedestrians. Stage 1 will focus on the widening and reconstruction works from the southern end of the worksite (south of Thelma Street) to just north of the Hardy Street footbridge. This will require a detour from Cale Street footbridge to the Narrows Bridge and should take about 8 weeks to complete. Stage 2 includes the final and more complicated section between Hardy Street and the Narrows Bridge and includes the river wall works. This will take up to a further four weeks to complete and will require a detour from Hardy Street through to the Narrows Bridge."

Once this starts I'd be keeping an eye on the MR website for updates. This had been posted on their main urban projects page and not the 'pedestrian and cyclists' detours page. A pity that the Cale St footbridge, that one just north of Canning Bridge, is the narrowest along that stretch. Once the project swings to the northern section I'll be getting off the PSP via one of those footbridges near the Como jetty rather than taking the Hardy St detour, they're wider and have better onramps (as well as being the paths less travelled).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

JeezE - I need to focus a little more. I hve passed that sign for the last two days and never even looked at it.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope the five months is only that. I still recall the two months signposted for closure south of LeachHighway that remained in place for 25 month!

Proper works between Canning Bridge and The Narrows is well overdue.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 pm

I do fear that on the other side of this when we have a smoother, straighter, wider PSP that the problems with riders 2 up and overtaking into oncoming at speed might just be worse. Labouchere for me.
+1
In the summer it is simply safer.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:47 pm

I agree that this is a welcome improvement as the traffic burden on the PSP is significant.

I hope/trust that our fellow West Australians who use Labouchere Rd are ready for us!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:13 pm

jeffh wrote:I agree that this is a welcome improvement as the traffic burden on the PSP is significant.

I hope/trust that our fellow West Australians who use Labouchere Rd are ready for us!
From last time it is certainly a bit of a dogs breakfast when twenty cyclists are all at the Laboucher Road/Mill Point Road lights heading north. Made worse by the narrowing of the road on the other side.

On aoccasion I did see some packed group starts struggling and wobbling (getting their cleats locked on).

And I also once took a drop when I rolled off the raised paving when the lights went green. :oops: Also packed in with everyone.

Oh well, it'll add an element of excitement to the ride. :mrgreen:

totallybalanced

Postby totallybalanced » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Thank you for alerting me to these works. I too passed the sign and somehow its location was in a blind spot for me. Also didn't notice a similar sign for those travelling south from the city along the PSP Is there one? I agree with those who foresee a much longer work time than 5 months, given previous examples of PSP works on this PSP further south.
I am glad that there will be a widening and finally an attempt to lessen the wave wash-overs in Winter. I just wonder if consideration could not have been given to separation of pedestrians from riders especially in the area set down for this work.
Agree that the local residents and car users in the area of Labouchere Rd need to be alerted and perhaps signage which signals to drivers to expect an increase in cyclists on the road and to pass with care.

Group riders on this PSP can at times be a danger to to other riders (and pedestrians) when riding 2 up (which is illegal on PSPs) and overtaking without due care (lead rider often not alerting the peloton to up coming rider), Yet to be seen if the wider PSP assists in this area or leads to more risky behaviour by some cyclists.

JAB1982

Postby JAB1982 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 pm

I haven't seen a sign on the Southbound direction so it isn't very sign posted. I too almost missed it and had to double back to read it as the s bend it is on wasn't exactly smart positioning. It took a while to find online too as someone mentioned above it wasn't in the cycling section on Main Roads. Fingers crossed it isn't closed for long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:37 pm

I would have liked them to take the opportunity to take out the tree root bumps around the scout hall too... But I guess that will cut out the bridge used for the detour.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:00 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I hope the five months is only that. I still recall the two months signposted for closure south of LeachHighway that remained in place for 25 month!
So if that was expected to take 2 months and actually took 25 months, maybe this one will be 5x12.5= 62 months? :D

I think this one is a little more straight forward luckily, but I'm sure sure all you Southies will be spruiking wacky new routes to avoid the detour :wink: It's all part of the fun of cycling, adventure! :)

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:04 pm

JLH - pretty sure there was some paint marking the roots last time I vibrated across that area, so maybe they are considering a patchup.. got to help for a while at least..

- Rusty

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:50 pm

Red Rider wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Thanks for the heads up. I hope the five months is only that. I still recall the two months signposted for closure south of LeachHighway that remained in place for 25 month!
So if that was expected to take 2 months and actually took 25 months, maybe this one will be 5x12.5= 62 months? :D

I think this one is a little more straight forward luckily, but I'm sure sure all you Southies will be spruiking wacky new routes to avoid the detour :wink: It's all part of the fun of cycling, adventure! :)
We've all done it before. It is not the first time that that stretch of path has be off limits. Provided you have decent lights and reflectors it's generally a pretty safe detour most of the way.

Personally I like the chance the impetus to shake me out of my usual route for a while. The ride will feel a little less tedious.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 pm

jlh wrote:I would have liked them to take the opportunity to take out the tree root bumps around the scout hall too... But I guess that will cut out the bridge used for the detour.
I know the spot you are referring to and it was the scene of a nasty incident last year. A mix of shrubbery encroaching overhead and to the side, lumpy path from the roots and a bit of a chicane.

I expect that one day it will be quietly fixed much as the bit at the chicane opposite the Royal Perth Golf Club was.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm

dampier wrote:I will put my money on Christmas.
What year???
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I would have liked them to take the opportunity to take out the tree root bumps around the scout hall too... But I guess that will cut out the bridge used for the detour.
I reported this to Main Roads before Christmas and was informed that they would perform repairs in January. The painted markings also indicate works for January. :D
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

jlh

Postby jlh » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Excellent (in Monty Burns style)

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Any idea what date it will close? Hoping to get one more ride in next week before it closes...

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:03 pm

Please be aware that there are now workers on the path carrying out minor repairs.

Today they are working on a small section by the Scout Hut - they may require you to dismount and walk through the area.

Over the next few days they will be patching other areas, including the thrill ride that is between the Scout Hut and Canning Bridge.

I'm guessing this is in preparation for the main shutdown - after the Australia Day Weekend.

- Rusty

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 am

So... having only recently started cycling, today being the first time I've ridden this section and intending to continue doing so from now on... Where do I go? lol

What is the detour? Having a look on the website linked earlier in the thread.. I'm lost haha. Do they tend to post information about suitable detours or is it a matter of figuring it out for yourself?

IncognitoMosquito

Postby IncognitoMosquito » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:21 am

No detours required yet. That won't happen for a couple of months

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:14 pm

The suggested Detour Map has been published and I don't think it has been particularly well thought through.

They are recommending North bound cyclists turn left from Bowman St onto Labouchere road before then proceeding "straight" through the Labouchere/Mill Point Rd intersection. If you want to do that you have 50 m to cross over the 2 lanes of traffic that are turning left onto the freeway so that you can get into the lane going straight through the intersection as only the rightmost lane goes straight.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Depends whether they are detouring you via the road or via the path. Makes perfect sense if it is the path. If it is the road, what's the problem with waiting for a gap and turning straight into the right lane?