PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

ColinOldnCranky

Re: PSP Closure Kwinana Freeway 2014

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 am

Scott_C wrote:The suggested Detour Map has been published and I don't think it has been particularly well thought through.

They are recommending North bound cyclists turn left from Bowman St onto Labouchere road before then proceeding "straight" through the Labouchere/Mill Point Rd intersection. If you want to do that you have 50 m to cross over the 2 lanes of traffic that are turning left onto the freeway so that you can get into the lane going straight through the intersection as only the rightmost lane goes straight.
I agree that it seems stupid. But, remarkably, it was what we all did last time quite safely. At that time, and against my expectations, motorists seemed to accept hoardes of cyclists struggling across the intersection and showed the sort of courtesy that we would wish we got all the time.

For those who have not experienced it, the road narrows on the north side of the intersection. With a heap of cyclists taking off together it can be tricky to get cleats in while positioning yourself for the crush on the other side. The good news however is that that section of road to the bridge is almost devoid of traffic in the mornings (and most other times in my experience). You get plenty of time to merge and move over.

The biggest issue from my observations was the chance that you can look a little silly if you fudge a cleat or something in front of a couple of dozen riders and sundry cars lined up. :oops: Though inevitable due to the situation.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

SoRCommute

Postby SoRCommute » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm

There was a MRD truck parked on side of fwy at about 6.15pm tonight near the bumpy section at the Scout Hall. This might mean PSP works are about to commence or that the remaining roots nearby are removed.

Please take care at that location in the morning as conditions may have changed.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 pm

It was gone about ten minutes later. Hopefully we get some action and excitement soon.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 pm

I wonder how much of this work relates to Kwinana Freeway flood fear?

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:58 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:It was gone about ten minutes later. Hopefully we get some action and excitement soon.

If it's going to be anything like the boardwalk at Majestic rise and footpath on Melville beach road then the only action we'll see is someone turning up to alter the dates on the signage for each month it slips :roll: (which I think has already happenend if I recall correctly, don't the signs say starting in March now as opposed to January?)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Marmoset wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:It was gone about ten minutes later. Hopefully we get some action and excitement soon.

If it's going to be anything like the boardwalk at Majestic rise and footpath on Melville beach road then the only action we'll see is someone turning up to alter the dates on the signage for each month it slips :roll: (which I think has already happenend if I recall correctly, don't the signs say starting in March now as opposed to January?)
Provided it does get started though it will be done by deadline due to need to take advantage of the low tide season. In the recent past they have completed works under such pressing conditions. If they leave it too late however they may simply not start them this year. :?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Yes originally it was going to happen straight after Australia Day.

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:54 am

I hope they fix up the 'repairs' to the section of path near the aforementioned tree roots... its no better in my opinion as the replaced bitumen has a significant step to the existing

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Agreed... no improvement whatsoever

Iceman

Postby Iceman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47 am

the thing I don't understand is where is the inspection on these repairs??? I am assuming its our tax dollars at work and the repairs would be done by a sub contractor? who the hell is inspecting the finished product and ensuring we are getting what we (the tax payer) have paid for?

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 pm

PSP Going to be closed on the 10th... large sign near Narrows

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:41 pm

Scott_C wrote:The suggested Detour Map has been published and I don't think it has been particularly well thought through.

They are recommending North bound cyclists turn left from Bowman St onto Labouchere road before then proceeding "straight" through the Labouchere/Mill Point Rd intersection. If you want to do that you have 50 m to cross over the 2 lanes of traffic that are turning left onto the freeway so that you can get into the lane going straight through the intersection as only the rightmost lane goes straight.
Agreed. Made worse as there can be up to a couple fo dozen cyclists finding there way to the lights for the same light change.

My recollection is that the last time they directed people down there as well - I prolly headed that way myself - and next time going one of two better routes - Down Hardy Street or, in smaller numbers, to Judd Street and a short length of path (private?).

I expect that there will be a few doing the same in the first week - following the signs initially before coming to the same conclusion that you have.

I have a sneaking recollection also that the signs were relocated in short notice - though that is likely to have been a cyclist doing the smart thing.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm

I was pleased that moving house would get me away from the Northbridge Link and New football stadium mess. Now they are closing the path to my new house. At least it will break up that long flat stretch along the river.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:35 pm

The path was closed at lunchtime - and doesn't look like it is going to re-open tonight.

I followed the diversion South - which has numerous hazards..

Start at the town end of Labouchere Road, there is a lot of building activity going on to watch out for.

The turn onto the diversion is only a short way past the Millpoint Road traffic lights, and across 2 lanes of traffic each way. There is a sign warning motorists to watch out for cyclists, which was partially obscured by trees.

The golf course path is extremely bumpy (like - I would want to take my road bike on it bumpy), and the gate in the middle is shut, so there is only single file through.

The path cuts across South Terrace, and is blind to motorist coming off the freeway at speed.

The foot bridge at the end of the diversion doesn't have an entrance ramp (there is one a bit further up the street), and there are signs asking cyclists to dismount. The bridge itself has pinch points on the Como side, and riders will cut the corner on the river side.

Other than that, the diversion is awesome :)

- Rusty

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Sounds like fun.. might push off a little early today to get a taste of the diversion with slightly reduced traffic..

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:37 pm

When I said "Start at the town end of Labouchere Road, there is a lot of building activity going on to watch out for.", I meant Millpoint Road.. Labouchere Road starts at the traffic lights.

Apologies.

- Rusty

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm

Don't forget the "cyclists dismount" directive at either end of the Preston St overpass, looks like the smart thing is to take the one south of it.

I don't really have any better ideas yet but as one who goes against peak this promises to be a magnificent pain in the caboose.

Bring on the shiny new PSP...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 pm

I rode to the end of Labouchere then went down Cale St to the overpass.
Traffic wasn't bad, but too many roundabouts for my liking.

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:02 am

There is a steel boom-gate blocking the path at the northern section next to the golf course with only a minor, narrow path around it. No signs, and it doesn't look like it has any reflective or illumination for the dark. Defies belief.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah that amazed me.. Why they would direct everyone around that gate rather than just opening the damned thing is beyond me.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am

I will have to use this section to cycle home after the Freeway Bike Hike, can anyone recommend the best detour so I don't have to 'dismount', negotiate gates or die!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:19 pm

The path cuts across South Terrace, and is blind to motorist coming off the freeway at speed.
I am in the process of contacting Main Roads about this. It was unbelievably dangerous yesterday afternoon. Motorists exiting the freeway are not aware of any cyclists and cannot see them until they are in the bend. Common sense would suggest a warning sign at the exit ramp. With Bike Week starting next week and inexperienced cyclists on the route, someone is going to be injured or killed.

Secondly, the steel barrier across the path defies belief - it should be open. Again I am waiting for a call back from Main Roads.

Will update post later in the day .
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Bartek,
It will be great to see your Velo in the Freeway Bike Hike. Here is my suggestion for getting around the detour.
Exit the Narrows Bridge and ride up Mill Point Road and onto Labouchere road past the zoo etc.
Just past the South Tce lights turn right into Comer or Eric Streets.
There is an overpass at the end of Comer for access to the Freeway PSP.
If you ride down Eric turn left onto Melville Parade. Ride to the Thelma Street intersection and take the overpass the to the PSP.
I am suggesting Eric to Thelma St overpass as it may be more negotiable in a velo than Preston or Cale street.
I would avoid Preston Street due to a high level of traffic.
Good luck on the Bike Hike
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm

I was riding south in the dark this morning behind another group. They almost all rode straight into the steel barrier, which was very hard to see in the dark. Big emergency brakes / skids and luckily noone was hurt. Agree with the above, needs to be opened or at the very least, covered with reflective materials of some sort.
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:48 pm

RoFlmaTiC wrote:I was riding south in the dark this morning behind another group. They almost all rode straight into the steel barrier, which was very hard to see in the dark. Big emergency brakes / skids and luckily noone was hurt. Agree with the above, needs to be opened or at the very least, covered with reflective materials of some sort.
Ive not seen this barrier, but lets not forget what happened to Alex Simmons, when he crashed into steel beam.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 6728907551