Is the Freeway Bike Hike on in 2014?

kx315

Re: Is the Freeway Bike Hike on in 2014?

Postby kx315 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Robinho wrote:+1 aj, the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!-up round Connolly and marmion aside, it all went very smoothly, riding in the groups at speed on the freeway was great, lots of positive communication and signals. Did pass the aftermath of a coming together south of joondalup, but all riders were on their feet discussing, no one looked particularly badly hurt.

As for the Connolly/marmion debacle, the maps clearly stated up marmion and back down Connolly, but I had read the reverse elsewhere. We arrived on burns beach in a couple of large groups about 2 mins max behind the pace car. We stayed on the wrong side along burns beach road and met no indication from traffic management or marshals that we should turn up Connolly. We proceeded to marmion to be met by the car and the lead group coming back towards Connolly, must have pulled a u turn at the lights.

Again, with no indication, positive or negative, we proceeded up marmion in the closed lane. I thought we were probably going the wrong way, but there were probably a couple of hundred riders spread over a few groups. We had a police outrider with us, who never stopped us.
Obviously we then met the car and main group coming between marmion and Connolly, and on the down Connolly it seemed the bulk of the field were coming up. Made little difference ultimately, same distance, but meeting the pace car and group was not the safest, and we probably messed up the traffic control by arriving from 2 directions.

Could have been simply avoided by having some signage and a marshal at the freeway/burns beach intersection and then the burns beach/Connolly roundabout.
I was in the same group as you and saw the lead group behind the pace car being turned around to head back up Connolly Dve. There was zero indication from both the cops and traffic marshalls that we had to do the same! That said the ride I really enjoyed groups were very well behaved and courteous.
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Apparently the mid hike from Currambine wasn't so great. Another late start and limited time meant many people were picked up by the bus before they got halfway.

velocopedant

Postby velocopedant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 pm

I'd like to know who organised that wind yesterday. It was extremely inconsiderate. I wasn't really ready for an 80km ride and that just iced the cake for me. Spent most of the afternoon cramping every time I tried to get up from the couch. The met bureau will be receiving my complaint presently.

Having said all that, I had a reasonably pleasant ride. Hats off to the person who came up with the idea of a wet towel at the finish line. much appreciated. Would definitely have another go next year.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:55 pm

The wet towel at the end was a work of pure genius.

yellagonga

Postby yellagonga » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:08 am

Last edited by yellagonga on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 am

Does anyone know when they usually put the photos up?

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Usually get an email when they're available.

The photos are useless in my opinion. No simple way to identify people (especially when we're all wearing the same jersey/shirt). Would be easier if we got proper race numbers/plates to zip tie on the front of the bike, or a simple bib with our rider number on it.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Received the email this morning.......good luck finding yourself :roll:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Road rage runs rampant
TEMPERS flared during last Sunday’s Bike Hike for Asthma when motorists found themselves delayed by northern suburbs road closures.

Frightened cyclists reported drivers “hurling abuse and objects” at them, tooting horns and “hanging out of windows swearing at marshals and competitors.”

Frustrated motorists complained of traffic chaos, being “boxed” into suburbs by road closures, cyclists “going in every direction,” and delayed journeys.

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:36 am

I found myself but half of my body was cut off and when I maximised my photo there was giant logo and some rip off price to purchase it. I would have thought my $105 would have covered a digital image.

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:12 am

Gave up looking for my pic after 30mins :\