Kep Track

BigNasty

Kep Track

Postby BigNasty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone done the Kep track recently? Tips? Times?

mitzikatzi

Re: Kep Track

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks Search :)
here 1
here 2
here 3
here 4

I still don't think a road bike (23/25mm tyres) is suitable however others disagree.

Also a "blog" by a forum member Kep Track Sunday 1st August 2010

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 am

I did it in one day back (return that is) in 2008 ... guess that is not recent :) IIRC it took 12 hours but then I am not fast.

Andrew

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Have done the Mundaring to Bakers Hill Pie Run (and return, so only 85kms) a few times, most recently in November 2013. Easy run, gravel gets loose in patches without rain, likewise only ever done on a MTB, would not contemplate on less than with 30mm+ cross tyres.

Usually about 21-22kph, climbs are very gradual, nothing really challenging. Not a fast rider, more like a 96kg 6' 45yo, that tries to ride 150km/week Road/MTB.

ausrider

Postby ausrider » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:30 pm

I shall be attempting Kep Track on coming weekend when the weather is fair with full touring/camping gears. Intend to stay overnight at Northam Caravan Park on Saturday and ride back to Perth on Sunday. If you are interested, please reply here or PM me.

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 pm

Phil wrote:Have done the Mundaring to Bakers Hill Pie Run .
Don't miss stopping at Bakers Hill for a pie. They are really good.

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:24 pm

In 2012 I rode the kep track day 1 then onto Munda Biddi for 3 more days.

I took a train to Northam, delivered me there about midday!, then rode Kep back to Mundaring. I ate at Bakers Hill, and swam at Lake Leschenaultia, stopped to take in the historical name plates (noting the Chidlow Refinery :shock: ). I was fit then and did this in 5 hours, including towing a bob trailer with kit for 4 days of travel. It was mid January and a hot day ~39degrees, i had a flat coming out of the Northam track, and I collapsed from the heat on the first gravel hill. So avoid hot spells :oops: Still it is a railway trail so pretty good. some loose gravel parts but I went through it at speed comfortably. be mindful of the path at Mt Helena as it is swings and roundabouts.

if you did this, i.e. catch train, then you either continue down the hill (rather than go to Mundaring weir) to midland where you can catch train to home. or consider spending the night at Mundaring weir YMCA accomodation (old but cheap and strangley I can no longer find them on the web) and within easy walk of Mundaring Weir Hotel for a well earnt pint and steak. the meals there are very decent pub food.

enjoy.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:24 pm

That'd be the Avonlink train and the Forrest Hills Youth Hostel (which seems to have dropped off the YHA hostel list but is probably still running as a backpackers?). There's also camping at Lake Leschenaultia but paid and you'd need to book.

There's a section of the Kep between Wundowie and Wooroloo that gets chewed up by the horses, best done after a bit of rain, followed by a section east of that before Bakers Hill where the white marbled track on top of a small hill becomes clag glue with added pea gravel ballbearings in the mud after an extended bit of rain. Otherwise the Kep is fun. Take care passing any horses, roll past without pedalling if you can and far away from the back legs. And avoid the green mud that appears wherever you see horses. Enjoy.

Phil

Postby Phil » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Yes the Horses, they chew up the track pretty good. Did this section last on the fat bike - and I must admit I didn't really notice the bumps and chewed up track - only the noise of everyone else complaining about them

ausrider

Postby ausrider » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Just saw this thread.

I did Midland to Northam then Northam to Midland back the next day. Camped overnight at the caravan park.
This is on XTC 27.5 hardtail with full panniers about 2 months ago.