Keeping Left!

Jerry68

Keeping Left!

Postby Jerry68 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Hello all.

I've enjoyed a few recent morning rides which entail a portion southbound on the Kwinana Freeway PSP, (from Perth to Farrington Road). During these rides I've found the great majority of cyclists amenable, courteous and friendly.....

however...

I have noticed a growing trend involving some group riders that feel it necessary to spread out over three quarters of the cycle path or more forcing me to the very edge and in some instances off the path. I usually ride alone and I don't mind oncoming riders two abreast, (despite it being illegal), as they can usually stay on their side of the path and It's no skin off my nose to shuffle across a little to give them some extra room.

But lately I've noticed some riders impinging more and more into the oncoming lane and have been forced many times to swerve suddenly to avoid a collision. They appear to have the attitude of 'strength in numbers' and storm through without consideration often three abreast. For a time I decided to hold my ground as I felt I had every right to cycle within my own lane but that only led to some very close calls and the greater risk of a serious crash which doesn't help anybody.

I've found it's not so much the official group riders from the professional clubs but a general assortment of cyclists riding in a pack and again.... only a very small percentage.

Whilst I'm on a rant though I have also noticed other cyclists cutting blind corners quite severely, Canning Bridge for one which also annoys me.

One major reason I ride is to avoid all the muppets driving cars so it is disheartening to see some of the same bullying and/or selfish behaviour creeping in to recreational cycling.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same things lately.

Cheers,

Jerry68.

kx315

Re: Keeping Left!

Postby kx315 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 pm

Riding on the path along the freeway between the Raffles and the Narrows on a Saturday morning most definitely :roll:
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Dez

Postby Dez » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi Jerry, I am noticing this a lot more lately too. A number of times in the last few months I've been millimetres from being taken out by 'muppets' trying to come around a group already at two abreast or solo cyclists overtaking on blind corners or around pedestrians (who are also walking two/three abreast).

What to do though? I've been guilty of giving the worst offenders a mouthful and have entertained the thought of turning around to continue a diatribe, but will this solve anything? Would signage make a difference?

Some pedestrian/cyclist separation would be nice through the worst sections (Mt Henry to Narrows), but is there any real hope of any money being spent on cycling infrastructure? Pity there's no sharks on the PSP eh? (Sorry, that's a separate gripe)

kx315

Postby kx315 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Dez wrote: Pity there's no sharks on the PSP eh? (Sorry, that's a separate gripe)
There is still the same (if not more) Potential for serious injury or death though.
2012 Giant Cross City 2

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Yep, it's happening a lot. I think it's the time of year. All the fair weather riders are out, and by the law of averages there are the requisite number of p**cks among them.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Dez wrote:Some pedestrian/cyclist separation would be nice through the worst sections (Mt Henry to Narrows), but is there any real hope of any money being spent on cycling infrastructure? Pity there's no sharks on the PSP eh? (Sorry, that's a separate gripe)
As noted in this thread and the MainRoads website the section of PSP from Thelma St Footbridge (second footbridge up from Canning Bridge) to the Narrows is being redeveloped starting this month.

The redevelopment is meant to (amongst other things):
  • Widen the PSP to four metres (where possible)
  • Improve the PSP alignment to improve visibility
While this won't be a cure to numpties overtaking and riding 3 abreast into on-coming bikes/people (and will probably increase the number of groups riding doubled up) they are at least trying to make things better.

I agree that some signage along the lines of "cyclists to ride single file unless overtaking" should also be provided as I don't believe that the majority of offenders know that riding doubled up is illegal on a PSP.

Rusty6149

Postby Rusty6149 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Definitely noticed an increase in the number of two-abreast riders recently. Some are just leisure cyclists who don't know any better, but the majority appear to be more proficient riders who should know better. I think it is summer-itis, and as soon as the weather get colder and wetter, they will be gone.

I've also noticed a large number of riders using tri-bars - which I don't think are suitable for PSP, due to position and control, and electric bikes, which I thought were speed limited, but are overtaking at speeds in excess of 35Km/h.

I try to avoid the path on the weekend, as the groups are just too big, disorganised, unpredictable - and competitive.. you overtake a rider going slowly, and suddenly he's suckerfishing you.. don't get it.

If you are ever frustrated at other path users (look right - or left depending on which way you are travelling), and realise there are worse places to be.

- Rusty

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey all,

Do some home work and you will find out that the PSP is gazetted under the Road Traffic Act . That said you will also read that it is illegal to ride two abreast on the PSP. Have an accident and those that need to ride two abreast to chat are up poo creek without a paddle.
I was hit by a group of trihards -sorry athletes along the PSP 2 abreast with one smarty over taking the two on the s bend behind the Fiona Stanley ... he was charged ... he had to also buy me a new frame. He also took out another you guy who ended up with head injuries and cracked the growth plates off his knee. Another mate was also hurt ...

I remind them sometimes , sometimes I can't be bothered ... they will do as they please so I mainly keep to the roads :wink:

kx315

Postby kx315 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

What was the out come of the charges out of interest?
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

From memory , and I am sure I can find the documents somewhere ... failure to keep left and reckless endangerment .
He ended up with a ruined reputation from working in a promenant bike shop here in Perth .. and actually relocated to Busselton where he works in the bike industry .
Cost him $3200 for my frame mine, $200 change over of my gear .. went to court as he tried everything to get out of paying , the other guy with head injuries got a payout out of court and new helmet and kit from the old shop where the triathlete worked. The Police called us back to court 3 weeks later where we gave testimony.

kx315

Postby kx315 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:39 pm

Expensive lesson...... good to here he was held to account sounds like it could have been much worse!
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:44 pm

The most ironic part was he was leading a "shop ride" and when we all hit the dirt he was up and taking off , when a guy got up and grabbed him ... he then gave a false name and phone number .. along came a very concerned young lady who called out to said Triathlete by his real name ... bingo ! So I jumped straight onto the phone with the cops and they attended , along with ambulance for the guy with head injuries.
Best part was they were all wearing shop kit ... so made it really easy to find him :wink:

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Eddy Hollands wife was also taken out by a hired goon riding two abreast ... she didn't fare well either ... left in an ambulance :evil:

kx315

Postby kx315 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Sith1 wrote:The most ironic part was he was leading a "shop ride" and when we all hit the dirt he was up and taking off , when a guy got up and grabbed him ... he then gave a false name and phone number .. along came a very concerned young lady who called out to said Triathlete by his real name ... bingo ! So I jumped straight onto the phone with the cops and they attended , along with ambulance for the guy with head injuries.
Best part was they were all wearing shop kit ... so made it really easy to find him :wink:
Ahh thanks for filling in the blanks I was wondering how you got him to give his details!
2012 Giant Cross City 2

hooman

Postby hooman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 am

You know...

...when your lawn mowing man starts to give you advice on shares, it's time to get out of the stock market. In the same light, when yobos get into cycling, it's time to get away from wherever the heck it is that they hang out at (from the congestion of the psp anyway).

Seriously, on Saturday mornings they just seem to grow like fungus. You either put up with them or just go elsewhere because they ain't gonna change. Once a yob, always a yob.

(No offense to yobs)

H
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:57 pm

The other day I saw a carbon roadie strapped (with great care, not stolen and thrown in) to the tray of a V8 Falcadoore Ute. It left me quite perplexed. =D

kx315

Postby kx315 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 pm

cray- wrote:The other day I saw a carbon roadie strapped (with great care, not stolen and thrown in) to the tray of a V8 Falcadoore Ute. It left me quite perplexed. =D
My carbon roadie is currently lovingly sitting on the back seat of my HSV GTS V8.......I am I now a bad cyclist?
2012 Giant Cross City 2

Marmoset

Postby Marmoset » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 pm

It's got noticably worse since christmas I reckon.

I had to shout at someone on the kwinana PSP to wait earlier in the week, I could see he was itching to come around the guy in front of him, as I was head towards him - I certainly didn't fancy a head on collision but the overtaker didn't appear to have factored that outcome into his possible scenarios.

As mentioned above, it does seem to be a bit like driving a car, some riders are expecting others to keep an eye out for them and avoid their accidents... :?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Jerry68 wrote:...

I have noticed a growing trend involving some group riders that feel it necessary to spread out over three quarters of the cycle path or more forcing me to the very edge and in some instances off the path. I usually ride alone and I don't mind oncoming riders two abreast, (despite it being illegal), as they can usually stay on their side of the path and It's no skin off my nose to shuffle across a little to give them some extra room.
I can possibly claim to be Perth's most regular user of the stretch of the stretch along Como and South Perth. And I can vouch for Jerry's point. It has become daily over the past year.

While three abreast is not the norm, certainly it is becoming prevalent when you add me into the three as they pass. I have made the point a few times in this forum in the last year of passing riders slicing between me and an oncoming rider (or two) as well as pairs passing me in pairs with oncoming riders and it is all very dangerous.

Indeed, on December 24th one rider was knocked down as a group passed me in the face of an incoming rider with no mitigating factors I could see then or the next day when I reviewed the spot. Another rider seemed to have broken a finger and the bikes were probably both write offs. A rider was out of it for a time and was collected by ambulance. Another rider appeared to have broken a finger and the bikes are probably no longer up to safe spec.

Anyone who thinks that they are entitled to maintain a constant speed along that stretch in the face of congestion should be riding ten metres to the east where karma will take them out of the gene pool very quickly.

Ranted out until the next time I see a selfish and irresponsible idiot. That'd be Monday. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Based on my experience of 35 years of driving, 30+ years in an emergency service and as an emergency service driving instructor, I would estimate that (ignoring learner drivers and 'P' platers) that at least 50% of drivers in Perth Metro area are below a safe standard for driving. Bearing that in mind what makes you think that when those same people start to ride a bike they will be any different, in fact given that there is no rider training or proficiency test for riders the chances are they will be worse! :shock:

kx315 wrote:My carbon roadie is currently lovingly sitting on the back seat of my HSV GTS V8.......I am I now a bad cyclist?
kx315 Based purely on statistics, there is probably an 80% chance the answer to your question is yes! :D
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Sith1

Postby Sith1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Bartek wrote:Based on my experience of 35 years of driving, 30+ years in an emergency service and as an emergency service driving instructor, I would estimate that (ignoring learner drivers and 'P' platers) that at least 50% of drivers in Perth Metro area are below a safe standard for driving. Bearing that in mind what makes you think that when those same people start to ride a bike they will be any different, in fact given that there is no rider training or proficiency test for riders the chances are they will be worse! :shock:
100% agree with you there ! Most think that because they are physically bigger that you will systematically move over to accomodate :evil:

kx315

Postby kx315 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 am

Bartek wrote:
kx315 wrote:My carbon roadie is currently lovingly sitting on the back seat of my HSV GTS V8.......I am I now a bad cyclist?
kx315 Based purely on statistics, there is probably an 80% chance the answer to your question is yes! :D
Dam done in by statistics yet again :mrgreen:
2012 Giant Cross City 2

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Bartek wrote:Based on my experience of 35 years of driving, 30+ years in an emergency service and as an emergency service driving instructor, I would estimate that (ignoring learner drivers and 'P' platers) that at least 50% of drivers in Perth Metro area are below a safe standard for driving. Bearing that in mind what makes you think that when those same people start to ride a bike they will be any different, in fact given that there is no rider training or proficiency test for riders the chances are they will be worse! :shock: D
I think you have very eloquently the human condition. +1. :D
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Kneedown

Postby Kneedown » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:16 pm

As a regular user of the Kwinana PSP between the Narrows & Canning Bridge, I am seeing an increase of not only riders being dangerous but also extremely aggressive.

I have seen (including this morning) a rider on an electric mountain bike with panniers who rides southbound from the city most mornings around 7:30am trying to take a swing/raise his fist to threaten oncoming riders who he believes are out of line....seriously? Who gives this clown the right to behave that way?

There is also a lot or argy bargy going on about drafting recently. The idea that you can ride in isloation along a shared path at the busiest times of the day is just ridiculous.

Bogans have now invaded the bike path!
Bianchi Sempre Pro Chorus 11 | dry bike
Giant Defy Composite 2 SRAM Apex | wet bike

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Kneedown wrote:I have seen (including this morning) a rider on an electric mountain bike with panniers who rides southbound from the city most mornings around 7:30am trying to take a swing/raise his fist to threaten oncoming riders who he believes are out of line....seriously? Who gives this clown the right to behave that way?
Are you possibly referring to the (in)famous Mr Angrypants?