Keeping Left!

wellington_street

Re: Keeping Left!

Postby wellington_street » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I HATE the insistence from certain cycling morons that they should split the middle along the shared paths. 3.5m means there isn't enough room for 3 abreast with some room for error. Probably these same morons complain about being close shaved by cars :roll:

ikm

Postby ikm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 pm

So the behaviour on path is the same as on the road. :(

Looks pretty bad from the pics.

hooman

Postby hooman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Speaking of MORONS (-noun. a person who is notably lacking in good judgement), this morning at about 7.15 riding along Point Walter road not far from the Golf Course with my group of six and, yes, we were following all the road rules. We were riding two abreast and riding at a pace of about 30km/hr. With no notice, a fellow in Blue (and if you are on this chat list MORON, you know who you are!) and his mate passed our group and he cuts in severely almost hitting the rider ahead of me. He then slowed down and started to maintain a pace equal to ours. There were no cars either behind us or ahead of us so there was no sense of urgency to cut in. I sped up and referring to him as 'sir' asked him why he had to cut in so sharply and that perhaps he would be safer to call out and then choose a safe distance to move to the left after he passes.

His response to me was..."get F#&%ed and get a life... what happened to staying the F#&% to the left?!!"

So he was trying to teach us a lesson that we didn't need. Oh, OK, so put the welfare of others in jeopordy to make a point that is a moot point anyway?? Seriously!!

I congratulated him on his vocabulary and warned him that this behaviour is not acceptable. He and his mate decided to then intimidate me by locking me in and trying to steer me to the curb to perhaps run me off the road. Well, I've done plenty of racing in my time and managed to hold my position and once he noticed that HIS line was in danger, he sped off continuing to use the colourful potty mouthed language knowing that it was the only form of defence he had. COWARD!

These morons need to be shamed because they are cowards. Their only weapon is bullying and intimidation. That may work with some, but it won't with others and though he fled thinking he got the better of me, he darned well knows inside his feeble brain that he ran away like a mouse.

I go out on Saturdays and Sundays to get some exercise, have fellowship with friends and enjoy the fresh air. I am no spring chicken. I have read and believe I know the road rules pertaining to both cars and bicycles reasonably well. If I do something wrong, I have no objection to being notified and I gladly and graciously accept if I was in the wrong because you only learn from mistakes. However, as in today's case, when I know I was in the right and I have an arrogant novice trying to bully and intimidate me and my friends, I will stand up for what is right. So should you!
'09 Giant TCR C2 Shimano 105
'10 Cervelo RS Shimano Ultegra
'11 Time NXR Instinct SRAM RED Black
'12 Pinarello Dogma 2 Shimano DuraAce DI2

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Hooman, sadly lots of humans are morons and that means you get them on bikes too.

SoRCommute, how fast were all the riders going in those pics? I would have been very unhappy about that type of riding if there was speed involved and they would have got an OI! from me

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm

eldavo wrote: Muppet video and stills:
http://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/2013 ... -the-15th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the guys waiting at the lights at city west / leedy - seems they were waiting for the lights to change so they could cross the road - i fail to see how thats stupid behavior? (1min 40sec). i'd be shaking my head at you for pushing to the front instead to be honest.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 pm

I kind of agree uglybob but those guys were two abreast already and hanging back waiting for something to happen, I hate that intersection in the afternoons, would not want to be someone heading south there as they would be swamped in the afternoons. This intersection highlights the silliness of pedestrian intersection design- why put the button on the right hand side when we are supposed to keep left- that is just backwards.

Tandem

Postby Tandem » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:15 pm

uglybob wrote:
http://1motorcyclist.wordpress.com/2013 ... -the-15th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the guys waiting at the lights at city west / leedy - seems they were waiting for the lights to change so they could cross the road - i fail to see how thats stupid behavior? (1min 40sec). i'd be shaking my head at you for pushing to the front instead to be honest.
+1
and running red lights :( :( .

Some cyclist should start looking at how they ride before complaining about everybody else.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:30 pm

uglybob wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Whats with crossing a busy road on a red light?

SoRCommute

Postby SoRCommute » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Inthewoods,
I would have been doing approx 25kph (I was passed by a lady on a town bike today :( Quietly, I was impressed at the pace she maintained from canning bridge all the way to mount street!) and the three riders 25-30. The slow rider would have been doing around 20 or less and was overtaken in just a few seconds.

They copped a frustrated 'oh come on!' from me but that's water off a duck's back to that type of rider. Rather than silly rules that may inconvenience us all, our best ammunition is to name'n'shame, especially if we begin circulating photo evidence of the fools in our midst.

Calling all those with gopro's.....

BiciBoy

Postby BiciBoy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:50 pm

If you're going to critique others abilities on the road, you wanna wanna edit out the blatant RED signal you went thru.
Whole video was pretty useless if you ask me.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Freaky Friday was a coincidence of observational entertainment, hence the Freaky Friday title. I may have had my SMIDSI on.

You don't have to be perfect to identify other imperfection, but if you want to be self righteous you wouldn't be alone:
Why We're All Above Average - On a scale of one to 10, you probably think you're a seven. And you wouldn't be alone.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:50 pm

SoRCommute wrote:Inthewoods,
I would have been doing approx 25kph (I was passed by a lady on a town bike today :( Quietly, I was impressed at the pace she maintained from canning bridge all the way to mount street!) and the three riders 25-30. The slow rider would have been doing around 20 or less and was overtaken in just a few seconds.

They copped a frustrated 'oh come on!' from me but that's water off a duck's back to that type of rider. Rather than silly rules that may inconvenience us all, our best ammunition is to name'n'shame, especially if we begin circulating photo evidence of the fools in our midst.

Calling all those with gopro's.....

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=22881" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go forth and shame... ;)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Rex wrote:
uglybob wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Whats with crossing a busy road on a red light?
BTW that intersection is partially crossed by 70% plus of pedestrians and cyclists on the red as there is no green arrow from the side street when traffic turning right onto the side street from Thomas Street. Yes it is illegal but is harmless (no cyclists, pedestrians or drivers would be harmed, threatened, inconvenienced or lives risked by people doing this).

This is pretty much the same as what occurs further north at Karrinyup Road for instance (mostly low risk crossing against the red), Hutton Street though is a different kettle of fish as been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

I guess if considering the perceived consequence, then stopping and crossing there is like a jaywalking pedestrian compared to this topic of head on collisions from failure to keep left, that I think of comparatively as a P-plate driver playing chicken on single carriageway country roads. It is not legal though, but knowing that it is legal somewhere with evidence supporting it for the good, I don't feel it's the baby-murdering insanity requiring capitals r-e-d and spittle ;)

e.g. on the topic if you feel like chicken tonight:

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:17 am

There's no need to run the red at that intersection. I wholeheartedly agree with treating ped/cycle signals with contempt where they treat us with contempt but that intersection is not one of them. The green is automatic I'm pretty sure (never had to press button myself) and lasts for basically the whole long green traffic phase. It's a very good set of lights for Perth standards.

Also pushing to the front is pretty poor etiquette and demonstrates that you were doing the wrong thing there...if half a dozen cyclists are waiting and you are the only one wanting to run the red that says something about your behaviour.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 am

About etiquette... perhaps start with the term "Shared Path" (i.e. not Tweedledum and Tweedledee's Personal Path for Pontification)

Here's the links to the worst local example I've seen referred to on this topic. Snapped neck, broken back in two places, quadriplegic for rest of life.
Presumably the thrust of the legal case was against Main Roads, so the rider/group failing to keep left doesn't rank in the first link. The second is a prologue of what he had been through and the new life path he had forged, before the crash.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 1112546611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimens ... 611350.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:11 am

Quote from the 2006 article:
Planning Minister Alannah MacTiernan has told The Sunday Times of plans for more bike-only paths to relieve the risks of riding and congestion.
Tell her she was dreaming.
wellington_street wrote:.... 3.5m means there isn't enough room for 3 abreast with some room for error....
Are you sure we get 3.5m? Haven't put a tape measure out, but there will be several sections of the PSP which are less than 3.5m wide.

Slow down, and enjoy the ride, and stick left.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 am

There are plenty of sections below 3.5m on older parts of the PSP but the new sections are all a minimum 3.5m wide.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Came across about 20 riders in a bunch riding all over the riverside path at the s-bends north of Trinity College. Had to slow to walking pace to avoid being forced off the path by these morons who didnt appreciate my advice that they should ride single file and get the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! over. Apparently im an ass-something - didnt catch the rest. Less lame comebacks and more single file riding please guys

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 pm

wellington_street wrote:Came across about 20 riders in a bunch riding all over the riverside path at the s-bends north of Trinity College. Had to slow to walking pace to avoid being forced off the path by these morons who didnt appreciate my advice that they should ride single file and get the flying bicycles over. Apparently im an ass-something - didnt catch the rest. Less lame comebacks and more single file riding please guys
I think I came across the same bunch a couple of weeks ago in the same spot, handed out the same advice obviously to no avail.

On the other hand twice in the last three weeks I have come across a large bunch crossing the Narrows, each time they were maintaining perfect single file, keeping well left with not one rider out of line and making life very easy for other path users.
Too old to live, too slow to die.